Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Canadian purchase **UPDATE**

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2, 2020 11:19AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Being stuck at home most of the day, we do go out to for walks, supermarket, etc. gives me way too much time to search through eBay. I came across this Canadian Cased Dollar. The 1972 is my favorite year for toning, so I figured what the heck, I'll place a bid. I won. With shipping and NYS tax it cost me less than it would for grading. If the coin looks like the Trueview, I'll be very happy.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice purchase..

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty!

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Nice toning.

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

A rip! What did PC grade it?

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Found this in my drawer the other day ...

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

Nice one. I have several with beautiful toning on one side only and ugly (to my eye) on the other.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

@FilamCoins said:
    A rip! What did PC grade it?

PCGS SP66

To me the grade isn't as important as the color.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking example. 👍

• Options
    edited April 2, 2020 11:18AM

The coin came today. I'm usually a huge fan of Phil's Trueview images, especially the ones from his home country, but they were way off on this coin.

In person the coin is a lot darker and less colorful. The TrueView makes the coin look 9/10 on the ajaan color scale, in person the coin is 5/10.

Although my imaging skills suck, my image is much closer to how the coin actually looks.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a few of these and, in my opinion, the issue might be two-fold. One problem is that many of these are quite PL and the colors only "pop" at certain angles, which makes getting a universally accurate photo impossible. The other issue is that PCGS sometimes allows submitters to request certain attributes to be highlighted, or to be brought out better, on a coin sent for TrueView and in this case that may have happened.

My gut feeling is that the former is more the reason and much less likely the latter.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, TrueView is a glamour shot,a special angle among hundreds, and it creates an unrealistic vieew, especially on toned silver and copper coins.
    I believe that with time you are going to like it more Don, the Trueview has had a negative effect, ie unreal expectations. Or if this doesn’t happen, you flip it. You are by far the most experienced guy here with these cased dollars, I used to buy some from you at the BST thread for... $6 plus $2.50 for shipping, somewhere in... 2004-2005. Remember?

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    Yeah, TrueView is a glamour shot,a special angle among hundreds, and it creates an unrealistic vieew, especially on toned silver and copper coins.
    I believe that with time you are going to like it more Don, the Trueview has had a negative effect, ie unreal expectations. Or if this doesn’t happen, you flip it. You are by far the most experienced guy here with these cased dollars, I used to buy some from you at the BST thread for... $6 plus $2.50 for shipping, somewhere in... 2004-2005. Remember?

Those were the days D.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's a shame when expert people play with color to make a not so attractive coin extremely eye appealing.
    on the other hand, they will negative grade a "not so sure cleaning" in their opinion, which perhaps never was a cleaning.
    Personally I think it is not fair that a TPG could be influenced to change a color and it should not happen. Everything should be equal under the same guidelines.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life