Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1973 Topps Candy Lid Hank Aaron Misprint?

mycoolname89mycoolname89 Posts: 4

Hello all,

I happen to have a 1973 Topps candy lid, Hank Aarron, that i believe is a misprint but would like anyone with any knowledge about it to please look it over and let me know what you think.  I have looked online and the tab for all the lids point down with the picture, this one the tab is pointed up.
Tagged:

Comments

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

By misprint, do you mean off centered printing?

The off centering makes it less valued...but it still is a nice item and you should be happy to have found it.

• mycoolname89mycoolname89 Posts: 4
    edited March 29, 2020 10:33PM

The misprint is that the tab is up when all other are facing down. If you search 1973 topps candy lids the tabs are all face down with the picture.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Granted, I haven't seen many 1973 Topps candy lids, but this is the first one I recall seeing, that has the tab at the top, instead of the bottom.

Just wondering, could you post a picture of the back also?

Steve

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to say. If you find a couple of hard core Aaron collectors, you might get big money. Otherwise, it looks off-centered and you could actually consider it miscut.

I wonder how PSA would grade it?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

i just did a bunch of google...i havent seen another with the tab on top.

seems that most are psa 5 graded in general.

nice find

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are uncut proofs on eBay of a whole bunch of these lids. Is it possible someone cut one and cut it with the tab on the wrong end?

Andy

• @SDSportsFan said:
    Granted, I haven't seen many 1973 Topps candy lids, but this is the first one I recall seeing, that has the tab at the top, instead of the bottom.

Just wondering, could you post a picture of the back also?

Steve

Here is a picture of the back.

• @ahopkins said:
    There are uncut proofs on eBay of a whole bunch of these lids. Is it possible someone cut one and cut it with the tab on the wrong end?

I dont think that is possible. If you look at the uncut sheet the tab still face down

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mycoolname89 said:

@ahopkins said:

I dont think that is possible. If you look at the uncut sheet the tab still face down

Ah, I see, so the tab direction would be dictated by the back. Thanks for the info.

Andy

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mycoolname89 said:

@ahopkins said:

Also, the tab has been folded (you can see the crease along the base of the tab). It seems to me that if someone had taken an uncut proof and was able to correctly cut it, they would have been wanting to keep it in "mint condition", ie with an unfolded tab.

Steve