Home Sports Talk

IF '20 MLB season is wiped out what players on the cusp of the HOF could be affected most ?.........

2»

Comments

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only other players that currently have over 1500 career hits, and that are young enough to even have a chance at 3000 hits (even if it's an outside chance) are Elvis Andrus, Starlin Castro, and Jose Altuve. Andrus sits at 1723 hits and 31 years old, Castro is at 1617 hits and 30 years old, and Altuve is at 1617 hits and 29 years old.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Estil said:

@craig44 said:
    I also believe it has held Albert belle out of the hall. He would have had 2 all time seasons if not for the missed time.

I doubt the Dennis Rodman of baseball (as I liked to call Joey at the time; hee hee) ever had a chance at the HOF.

Well, if he's baseball's Dennis Rodman, he's a HOFer.

@Estil said:

@Tabe said:
    Fact is, voters are willing to ignore that guys are jerks depending on the guy. Jim Rice is in, Yaz is in, Rogers Hornsby is in, John McGraw is in, etc. Voters are willing to ignore short careers for some guys. Kirby Puckett is in, Sandy Koufax is in, Addie Joss is in.

Yet the Mr October of starting pitchers, Curt Schilling has still be snubbed for several years just because they don't like his political views. Which have nothing to do with and have ZERO relevance to baseball.

I think he belongs but it's easy to make a case that Schilling isn't a HOFer.

@Estil said:
    On a related note, the 1994 strike most definitely cost Don Mattingly his HOF chances. Had he won or at least made the World Series in that year or stuck around one more year to win the 1996 championship, he would've for sure made the HOF. The only other player off the top of my head I can think of that came literally one season short of the HOF was Vida Pinson (had he stuck around another year he probably would've made 3000 hits, which is traditionally an automatic HOF bid, first ballot in most cases).

That's a gigantic reach. Mattingly hit 222 homers. He shouldn't even be in the conversation.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    The only other players that currently have over 1500 career hits, and that are young enough to even have a chance at 3000 hits (even if it's an outside chance) are Elvis Andrus, Starlin Castro, and Jose Altuve. Andrus sits at 1723 hits and 31 years old, Castro is at 1617 hits and 30 years old, and Altuve is at 1617 hits and 29 years old.

Altuve cheated.......runt boy's numbers are totally invalid!

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2020 5:53AM

Buzzergate, and yes he is pretty small, the Astros had to assign him a special place in the restroom.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Estil said:

@craig44 said:
    I also believe it has held Albert belle out of the hall. He would have had 2 all time seasons if not for the missed time.

I doubt the Dennis Rodman of baseball (as I liked to call Joey at the time; hee hee) ever had a chance at the HOF.

The NBA loves its thugs, another reason they are irrelevant.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

@Estil said:

@craig44 said:

I am not a huge NBA fan, but to say the NBA is irrelevant is ridiculous. At this point I would say the NBA is more popular than the MLB and definitely among younger people. The MLB is the one that is at risk of becoming irrelevant.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

@orioles93 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

@Estil said:

@craig44 said:

I am not a huge NBA fan, but to say the NBA is irrelevant is ridiculous. At this point I would say the NBA is more popular than the MLB and definitely among younger people. The MLB is the one that is at risk of becoming irrelevant.

Yeah, saying the NBA is irrelevant is just laughable. TV ratings were down but everything else was up - attendance, merchandise, social media presence, etc.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the NBA over college basketball.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Irrelevant to me. Never had a pro team growing up, followed it a bit during the Majic/Bird years. Totally lost interest soon after.

Now we (Minnesota) are blessed with a disaster of a team.

I like hockey, which is irrelevant to most of the posters here.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

BTW soccer is the world's most popular sport.

Blech!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lost time,lost games if not made up hurt all stat compilers. Games can be made up. Time cannot, and the players will be that much older with diminishing skills.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".