Home Q & A Forum
Options

new pennies

how do we grade these new pennies to find if they are 68 or greater

Answers

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a person can learn how to grade newer cents. One needs to use available photo grade images on our host site and use the Google for additional info. Keeping an open mind while appreciating all aspects of the obv and rev of a coin is helpful. Also comparison helps to see subtle surface minting changes. Have fun. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would:

1) learn how to grade
    and
    2) grade them

My guess is that you are chasing grade rarities on modern coins. I suspect that for a newer collector it will be a very disappointing project.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Learning how to distinguish ultra high grades requires a tremendous amount of practice and experience. You must look at a lot of coins, understand the subtle nuances of the series including the striking characteristics of each date, the expectations of the graders, and market conditio ns. You also need to find the coins. Your e not going to find ultra high grades in bank rolls or pocket change.

If it was easy, most of the members on this forum would be sitting on a Caribbean beach sipping rum drinks with little umbrellas in them, instead of helping new collectors learn about the hobby.

Member of the ANA since 1982