Home Q & A Forum
Options

Anyone familiar with this large cent book??

DontTellTheWifeDontTellTheWife Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
edited March 28, 2020 3:14PM in Q & A Forum

Hi all, anyone familiar with this large cent book? It seems the original run was 40 copies. This is a 1924 reprint. Wondering if there is much demand/value. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool book.
    I have not seen it before, but I am far from a numismatic book expert.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismaticmall.com has an informative bio on Andrews and this 48 page pamphlet. Great find, can you show a coin image page? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no info on that book, but you could search the archive issues of E-Sylem. It's the weekly electronic newsletter of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society. It's free to anyone, not just NBA members.

BTW: subscriptions are free. There is a lot of numismatic info beside books. I have been getting this for years and it's one of best e-newsletters out there IMO. Shameless plug and I'm not even an NBS member.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

No coin images in this book per se. This is a couple of pages, all text. Thanks

• Options

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would appear his examinations of the designs were extensive and the documentation transcends imagery. Thanks for showing the internal pages. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

While obsolete, it is probably valuable. I'll bet it's a forerunner to Newcomb's book.

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    It would appear his examinations of the designs were extensive and the documentation transcends imagery. Thanks for showing the internal pages. Peace Roy

Your welcome!!

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

That book isn't used for much. Newcomb's book replaced it and a couple of others followed. Today, most people use the volumes by Noyes. Hardbound reprints of the Andrews book occasionally surface and retail for ca. $250 in nice condition, That paper reprint does have some value to numismatic book collectors, perhaps $50-$100 (more, if it has the name or book plate of someone with name recognition).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.