Home Sports Talk
Options

Hoping all of you are staying healthy and safe

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a quick drive by to say hey!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Mark. Great to hear from you. This place isn't the same without your wisdom and knowledge. Stay safe my friend.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you find any sports 2 days ago?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is sort of amazing how much there is to do once forced to stay at home with nowhere really to go, nobody coming by to visit and the World outside strangely quite. I live at the intersection of two important State Routes, less than 100 yards from the Town Square and about a mile from I-90 and traffic is noticeably less these past 10-15 days.

my two puppies keep me busy, it's like running a Day Care Center, and my GF started working from home last Monday(Veterans Administration, so if you call you might talk to Casey) so this weekend I've been getting an office space ready for her. that means my "Coin Room" has been taken away and I'm temporarily on the kitchen table till I relocate in the bedroom. the upside of that, cause there's always an upside :), is that I have lots of stuff within arms reach that is usually stored somewhere. I'm sure everyone can relate to that, receipts, paperwork that needs to be scanned/stored, supplies and even coins is getting looked at all at the same time.

I'm putting together a small group of SC$'s for the June Stack's auction so now's a good time to get that done. Spring is rapidly approaching and I'm a gardener so I can work outside as the weather warms. there are projects in the basement to finish. who knows how long this will last but after only a short time I've gotten accustomed to the quarantines. if it lasts long enough this place might really be ship-shape!!!

gotta look on the bright side, gents. B)

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2020 6:04AM

I do most of my work from home, so I only have to go out to the grocery store every few days. I've noticed that people in the grocery store are starting to wear those masks to cover their faces, and I see a lot of the wiping and spraying down the shopping carts before they use them. It's a scary thing to see. I made the mistake of touching my face after I had touched my shopping cart yesterday in the grocery store. A mistake like that can be costly, and I hope nothing happens because of it. I just hope we can somehow get a vaccine soon. I was watching TV yesterday, and they said over 30,000 have died worldwide due to the virus. Everyone needs to remember to wash their hands with soap and water thoroughly, and to keep your hands away from your face, which I need to remember better as well. I love you all sports talk brethren, and stay safe.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Mark! Glad you stopped by to say hi, hope all is well my friend 🍻

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2020 1:44PM

Mark...nice to see you checking in.

All peaceful here in Lake Oconee, GA, about mid-way between Atlanta and Augusta and just south of I-20. We only have one Publix grocery store that supplies the several retirement areas locally. You have to make at least a 30 minute drive to other stores like Walmart, Ingles and Kroger, so Publix has pretty much a captive audience. Gotta say though, they've done pretty well keeping things going. We have some shortages, but we've managed to get what we need and not go crazy like some I've seen.

The big rub (to some) is that we live in a very popular area for water sports and some have written on a local website to complain about too many partiers on the water. This because Spring Break has kinda gone sour. The concern is that they are not even closely following distancing and acting responsibly. And some think because they don't live here, they shouldn't be here. Others think it should somehow be monitored...by who and how? If they're here legally, it is what it is. Some people just like to complain and take the "get off my lawn" attitude. I say, we were all young once and wanted to get the most out of Spring, or any break...you can't fix stupid, so just tend to your own safety and business.

Wife and I plus the cat live in a pretty private section of our community on a cul-de-sac, on the curved end, which really adds to the privacy. We sit out and have some wine and wait for the birds to come and take their bath...you can almost set your watch. We have a nice little waterfall in the back patio area, which will lull you to sleep easily. That coupled with the wind blowing through the trees is pretty nice. We are most fortunate to have what we have. I've already done 2, 1,000 piece puzzles and move through them pretty quickly, maybe a day+ each. That and reading a little with the tube off...you can only hear "virus" so many times before your head begins to explode.

If you guys have Amazon Prime, we've been watching the Homeland series, after wrapping up Ray Donovan...the latter is not for kids, or your parents to enjoy with you!!! I added the "Great Courses Signature Series", for about $13 per month, there is a ton of stuff with excellent lecturers to learn about stuff, just about A-Z, well worth the $$ You name the topic and you will probably find it. Check it out.

All in all, life is good, healthy, and still stalking my last 20 cards for my David Ortiz Master Topps set.

Hopefully all this will pass sooner than later and life ( and the market) can get back to some semblance of normalcy. Stay well everyone, do what you gotta do. Kinda reminds of being in Vietnam...wasn't gonna get to go home until they let me.

The best to all!!!
    Al

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in Dallas/Fort Worth in a small "city" just south of Fort Worth. My wife and two youngest kids are here. Since she is a teacher, and her school is closed, there is some work she is doing from home with online assignments. Taking this time to do some flooring, home finishings repairs and replacements .

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I do most of my work from home, so I only have to go out to the grocery store every few days. I've noticed that people in the grocery store are starting to wear those masks to cover their faces, and I see a lot of the wiping and spraying down the shopping carts before they use them. It's a scary thing to see. I made the mistake of touching my face after I had touched my shopping cart yesterday in the grocery store. A mistake like that can be costly, and I hope nothing happens because of it. I just hope we can somehow get a vaccine soon. I was watching TV yesterday, and they said over 30,000 have died worldwide due to the virus. Everyone needs to remember to wash their hands with soap and water thoroughly, and to keep your hands away from your face, which I need to remember better as well. I love you all sports talk brethren, and stay safe.

<<< mistake of touching my face >>>

It's really only a "mistake" if on your face you touched particularly the eyes, inner nose, or inner ear which is the most common ways of transmission. Also wise not to touch your mouth as well, although saliva is a good safeguard against virus and other germs, but why take a chance.

Things such as scratching your forehead, touching your hair, etc, is not going to transmit the virus to you. Although if you touch your hair, and the virus is on there for a few hours, then touch it again when you get home after you washed your hands and then proceed to say rub your eyes figuring it's safe, then boom, you've caught the virus. But that is true for your clothing, groceries, products, keys, change from a cashier, or anything else you bring home that may be infected.

Think about how this virus transmits itself, all the various possibilities, and you defeat the virus. 😊

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

It's really only a "mistake" if on your face you touched particularly the eyes, inner nose, or inner ear which is the most common ways of transmission. Also wise not to touch your mouth as well, although saliva is a good safeguard against virus and other germs, but why take a chance.

Things such as scratching your forehead, touching your hair, etc, is not going to transmit the virus to you. Although if you touch your hair, and the virus is on there for a few hours, then touch it again when you get home after you washed your hands and then proceed to say rub your eyes figuring it's safe, then boom, you've caught the virus. But that is true for your clothing, groceries, products, keys, change from a cashier, or anything else you bring home that may be infected.

Think about how this virus transmits itself, all the various possibilities, and you defeat the virus. 😊

It is a tricky virus, that's for sure because you just never know what it's going to attach itself to. I hate going to the grocery store, because everything you touch is potentially contaminated, and then you have to come home and it could be transfer itself to the inside of your home and you won't even know it. It's a pain to have to live like this, and just hope we can get a vaccine soon. I've never seen such a crises in my life like the one we are going through now. Thanks for the tips on how to stay ahead of the virus.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

It is a tricky virus, that's for sure because you just never know what it's going to attach itself to. I hate going to the grocery store, because everything you touch is potentially contaminated, and then you have to come home and it could be transfer itself to the inside of your home and you won't even know it. It's a pain to have to live like this, and just hope we can get a vaccine soon. I've never seen such a crises in my life like the one we are going through now. Thanks for the tips on how to stay ahead of the virus.

You're so right about a "tricky" virus. Especially because depending on the surface area, the survival rate of it can vary widely. It's normally just a few hours, but i've read where it can be longer depending on the environment, and i've also read that under ideal conditions it can survive up to nine days.

However based on what i've read and prevention tactics i've used over the years, a few hours is a good guideline for the most part. For example if i bring home a box of cereal from the supermarket, and say an hour later i want to consume some of it, i presume that the box is infected, and proceed accordingly. Frankly, i do this all year round because i hate catching even regular colds and flu.

• Options

Steve I’m shocked you eat cereal 🤷‍♂️ It certainly best not be a sugar cereal 😏

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Steve I’m shocked you eat cereal 🤷‍♂️ It certainly best not be a sugar cereal 😏

You're right Paul, I don't eat those sugared cereals. I just used the word "cereal" as an illustration.

But i do buy those tubular shaped boxes of organic rolled oats, and put some organic blueberries or organic bananas in the bowl for a great tasting and healthy snack or dessert.

Frankly, i even presume the fresh fruit is infected and use the same precautions as i would when buying boxes from the supermarket. If the box or fruit isn't infected by the one placing the product on the shelf or some customer picking up the item, looking at the ingredients, inspecting it or whatever and putting it back on the shelf, then i presume it gets infected by the cashier grabbing the item to scan the barcode or weigh the fruit, or handled by the one bagging the groceries.

Perhaps one of the worst places in the store to pickup viruses is the little credit card processing machine where you must type in your PIN number on a keypad that many have touched before you or having to use the signature pen that has been handled by many as well. I'm sure that corona these days has a non-stop party going on in that area.

• Options

so I found out yesterday about the first person I know who has COVID-19, a friend that I last saw about 5-6 weeks ago.

here's the timeline: a mutual friend had seen "Rob" on March 9th and stopped over at my house on March 16th, two days prior to Ohio's statewide quarantine order took effect. as of yesterday it's been three weeks since he had contact with "Rob" and two weeks since I had contact with him. nobody at my home or his home shows any symptoms.

such is not the case with our friend "Rob" and his family. he's in his second week of isolation, along with his wife, his teenage son is in quarantine/under observation and his father-in-law is struggling in the hospital, on a ventilator with pneumonia. it's getting really real here in Northeast Ohio.

• Options

Sounds good Steve. I use 2 packets of oatmeal, 1 flavored and 1 plain, throw them in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons of Chia Seeds, 2 Tablespoons of Quinua, crushed walnuts, a few blueberries, few raspberries and strawberries with water. And that my friend is the breakfast of champions

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Sounds good Steve. I use 2 packets of oatmeal, 1 flavored and 1 plain, throw them in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons of Chia Seeds, 2 Tablespoons of Quinua, crushed walnuts, a few blueberries, few raspberries and strawberries with water. And that my friend is the breakfast of champions

That is absolutely superb! 👍

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 9:09AM

Haven’t left the house only to take out the dog.I have everything I need but might have to order some wine as I am running low.might order a case of gallons. CR FORTISSIMO. THANK

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

I haven’t had any physical contact with my parents who are both 70 in over 2 weeks. It’s tough to deal with this with family I can tell ya this much, hope everyone’s family is doing well

• Options

@perkdog said:

I prefer Honey Nut Cheerioes with nuts and stuff then add Strawberries with Sugar and add Lactose Free Whole Milk. Yummy.

Water on Cereal!! Yuk! :s

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

I prefer Honey Nut Cheerioes with nuts and stuff then add Strawberries with Sugar and add Lactose Free Whole Milk. Yummy.

Honey Nut Cheerios: Whole Grain Oats (includes the oat bran), Modified Corn Starch, Honey, Brown Sugar Syrup, Salt, Tripotassium Phosphate, Canola and/or Rice Bran Oil, Natural Almond Flavor, Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) Added to Preserve Freshness.

Cheerios is perhaps better than most of those chemistry set cereals which in my view are almost like ingesting tasteful poison.

But i say why not just buy organic whole grain rolled oats, and add some organic honey and organic raw unsalted nuts of your choice to it such as crushed almonds. It's tastier and infinitely healthier, and doesn't take that long to prepare. 😊

I already know you're not going to do it Jon, but i thought i'd mention it anyway. Even though there aren't the usual currently active sports now that we all like to debate, I'm not looking for a cereal debate. 😉

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I haven’t had any physical contact with my parents who are both 70 in over 2 weeks. It’s tough to deal with this with family I can tell ya this much, hope everyone’s family is doing well

I hear you brother. I lost my Dad on Nov 5. Its been rough. I’m the oldest and taking care of family things 2500 miles away stinks.

My wife’s mother ( the only living parent amongst us) is in an assisted living home in Chicago and they can’t leave their apartments. She is all alone and it sucks. A helpless feeling.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

In the meantime me on my way for a coffee run today to my local contactless coffee dude. Strange times.

• Options

@Brick said:
    Hey Mark. Great to hear from you. This place isn't the same without your wisdom and knowledge. Stay safe my friend.

Thank you so much Brick. You are a forum treasure

m

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Honey Nut Cheerios: Whole Grain Oats (includes the oat bran), Modified Corn Starch, Honey, Brown Sugar Syrup, Salt, Tripotassium Phosphate, Canola and/or Rice Bran Oil, Natural Almond Flavor, Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) Added to Preserve Freshness.

Cheerios is perhaps better than most of those chemistry set cereals which in my view are almost like ingesting tasteful poison.

But i say why not just buy organic whole grain rolled oats, and add some organic honey and organic raw unsalted nuts of your choice to it such as crushed almonds. It's tastier and infinitely healthier, and doesn't take that long to prepare. 😊

I already know you're not going to do it Jon, but i thought i'd mention it anyway. Even though there aren't the usual currently active sports now that we all like to debate, I'm not looking for a cereal debate. 😉

Who amongst us doesn’t picture Dimeman in a Emmitt Smith onesie eating his cereal at his breakfast nook.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    In the meantime me on my way for a coffee run today to my local contactless coffee dude. Strange times.

Yikes Steve....you look like the Zodiac Killer!

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Who amongst us doesn’t picture Dimeman in a Emmitt Smith onesie eating his cereal at his breakfast nook.

m

I'm going to show my age here and ask ........ what is a onesie?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2020 7:11AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

Not at all what I expected Mark to look like!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

I was once questioned by the police about that, but i had exotic girls as an alibi that i was receiving lap dances at a nudie bar during the time of the murders.

• Options

I like that a lot.....

.....and the onesie looks nice as well.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2020 2:20PM

dude, where are the rubber gloves???

me I typically go out for "supplies" about every 3-4 days, my GF just went to the Dollar Store for bread. my biggest need is milk for coffee but I have been thinking about going the tough route and drinking it black with a little sugar. I'll say this much, with the whole world as I know it on lockdown and no Sports for entertainment, if it weren't for my puppies, my Firestick and the forum I think I'd be talking to myself. :D

oh yeah, Casey counts, too, she's at home with me now 24/7.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

I was once questioned by the police about that, but i had exotic girls as an alibi that i was receiving lap dances at a nudie bar during the time of the murders.

Man you must have had a LOT of lap dances...……... B)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2020 3:51AM

@keets said:

dude, where are the rubber gloves???

me I typically go out for "supplies" about every 3-4 days, my GF just went to the Dollar Store for bread. my biggest need is milk for coffee but I have been thinking about going the tough route and drinking it black with a little sugar. I'll say this much, with the whole world as I know it on lockdown and no Sports for entertainment, if it weren't for my puppies, my Firestick and the forum I think I'd be talking to myself. :D

oh yeah, Casey counts, too, she's at home with me now 24/7.

buy the half gallon cartons with the plastic cap and you can pour a little out then lay it on its side and freeze it , I have 6 of them .
    A friend works at a hotel that shut down last week , they have a free breakfast they do, he called me and said swing by for some free milk and greek yogurt , I left with a carload , kept what I could and dropped the rest at a food pantry. I'm set on milk for 3 weeks and yogurt for about 6 :s

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

We in the state of Georgia are now on lock down, with the exception of necessary travel to grocery/pharmacy/dr and gas...if I understand it correctly. The order is in effect from today (4/2)thru 4/13. I don't know if April 13 is some magic date, but that's what it is. Fortunately for us, we're in good shape and can easily stay put for much longer, and will.

Our local Publix grocery store is doing a good job keeping basics supplied. My wife and I took a drive to the closest Walmart (about 30 miles away), and the store was busy and shelves bare, or lacking.

Wishing everyone the best, we'll get through this, but it ain't gonna be easy.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2020 11:57AM

I see where Ca. is releasing thousands of prisoners from prison's early! REALLY BAD MOVE unless they committed white collar crimes.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2020 11:44AM

We in the state of Georgia are now on lock down

I watched the Governor of Georgia hold a press conference the other day to announce that lockdown. during that briefing he stated that in the past 24 hours he had learned that people who were asymptomatic could spread the disease.

he is either the stupidest man in the country or a bald-faced lying dog, but either way he can't be fit to hold that office and has placed you at risk.

• Options

Ain't nobody locking me down, and i do mean nobody.

Now if they threaten to take away my cards and coins, i may have to reconsider. ;)

• Options

@stevek said:
    Ain't nobody locking me down, and i do mean nobody.

Now if they threaten to take away my cards and coins, i may have to reconsider. ;)

Looking like the Zodiac Killer........nobody in their right mind would come within 6 feet of you anyway! ;)B)

• Options

@keets said:
    We in the state of Georgia are now on lock down

I watched the Governor of Georgia hold a press conference the other day to announce that lockdown. during that briefing he stated that in the past 24 hours he had learned that people who were asymptomatic could spread the disease.

he is either the stupidest man in the country or a bald-faced lying dog, but either way he can't be fit to hold that office and has place you at risk.

who ever said politicians are smart? Cunning maybe but thats what is rewarded not genius

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

In regard to these 2-4 week increments of "lockdowns". In my opinion I feel their reasoning is to dole these out that way to give us some sense of short term expectation of it ending. That this won't be required long term-even if it comes out that way. Rather than just a 3 month or more lock down, do it in small increments, less of a shock to ones psyche. Much easier to accept knowing we have 2-4 weeks of this at a time, than knowing at the outset it's for 3+ months. Even it it comes to pass that it winds up for 3 or more months. And also it may be done because the officials are really in the dark on the virus's longevity.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    In regard to these 2-4 week increments of "lockdowns". In my opinion I feel their reasoning is to dole these out that way to give us some sense of short term expectation of it ending. That this won't be required long term-even if it comes out that way. Rather than just a 3 month or more lock down, do it in small increments, less of a shock to ones psyche. Much easier to accept knowing we have 2-4 weeks of this at a time, than knowing at the outset it's for 3+ months. Even it it comes to pass that it winds up for 3 or more months. And also it may be done because the officials are really in the dark on the virus's longevity.

Yes, I don't think a lot of folks out there have thought this thru and perhaps don't wish to think it thru. It's like the Marines always say in combat when they're in a bad spot and pinned down, "We can't refuse to accept the situation."

We have to accept the situation that this is a brutal new virus which has evolved. Even when we develop a vaccine, sooner or later it will probably mutate again, into possibly a more deadly strain. Are we going to go thru this societal hysteria each time it happens?

There are important ways of discipline that active working people can do to make it very unlikely to catch this virus or any other virus. Folks are just going to need to get into these good habits, same as when crossing the street in traffic we are careful to pay attention, look both ways, etc.

• Options

they say this is hitting younger people hard but I think its just because they are doing a higher percentage of dumb things. Or are they just the same old dumb things and the media is piling on scapegoating them?

Every day the news presents a flurry of nonsensical numbers with no context causing to panic people.

There are testing numbers , the number of tests that are positive versus negative , the number hospitalized , the deaths etc. The numbers cant go down in any of those categories but it still isnt a complete picture. Because of the lack of testing early on thousands who were never tested won't be counted who were positive and recovered or showed no symptoms. The tests can take 10 days so if the number of cases jumps up that might be test results from 10 days ago blended with tests from yesterday .

What of a person is tested then tested again ? Do they count that as 2 tests? false positives false negatives? If there are 50 new deaths today did they die yesterday or is it reports from days ago only now being posted?

The whole thing is ridiculous the way the media reports it , everyone should basically wash thier hands a lot , keep 6 feet from others and avoid watching TV or googling symptoms obsessively is my take on it.

The other thing is a firm belief that I would not want to work or live in a nursing home during this , those poor people are getting crushed.

My niece's mother in law works in a nursing home and is in her late 50's and she is terrified , objectively she probably should quit but she goes to work because she cares about the people she knows in there.

I said to her there is no shame in quitting though I mean if you are only there because you are afraid to get fired , if the corona gets in there and sweeps through you may not have a job to go back to regardless :/

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

USA Today dated Jan 27

it was all about Kobe at the time.........yet look closely

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    they say this is hitting younger people hard but I think its just because they are doing a higher percentage of dumb things. Or are they just the same old dumb things and the media is piling on scapegoating them?

Every day the news presents a flurry of nonsensical numbers with no context causing to panic people.

There are testing numbers , the number of tests that are positive versus negative , the number hospitalized , the deaths etc. The numbers cant go down in any of those categories but it still isnt a complete picture. Because of the lack of testing early on thousands who were never tested won't be counted who were positive and recovered or showed no symptoms. The tests can take 10 days so if the number of cases jumps up that might be test results from 10 days ago blended with tests from yesterday .

What of a person is tested then tested again ? Do they count that as 2 tests? false positives false negatives? If there are 50 new deaths today did they die yesterday or is it reports from days ago only now being posted?

The whole thing is ridiculous the way the media reports it , everyone should basically wash thier hands a lot , keep 6 feet from others and avoid watching TV or googling symptoms obsessively is my take on it.

The other thing is a firm belief that I would not want to work or live in a nursing home during this , those poor people are getting crushed.

My niece's mother in law works in a nursing home and is in her late 50's and she is terrified , objectively she probably should quit but she goes to work because she cares about the people she knows in there.

I said to her there is no shame in quitting though I mean if you are only there because you are afraid to get fired , if the corona gets in there and sweeps through you may not have a job to go back to regardless :/

Excellent points, especially about the nursing homes.

If not touching our eyes, inner nose, inner ear, and mouth while out in public, it is actually very difficult if not almost impossible to contract this virus. Other prevention measures as well which have been mentioned in this thread or other threads. Somebody would have to almost literally sneeze in our face to contract it through the air. Which leads to an interesting but sad point about nursing homes in that the workers interact closely with the residents, and these elderly people could cough or sneeze in a workers face for various reasons. If the resident is infected, then in the bat of an eye the worker could very well get infected particularly by a tiny droplet coughed or sneezed into their eye or nose which are two very vulnerable areas for virus entry.

• Options

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

If not touching our eyes, inner nose, inner ear, and mouth while out in public, it is actually very difficult if not almost impossible to contract this virus. Other prevention measures as well which have been mentioned in this thread or other threads. Somebody would have to almost literally sneeze in our face to contract it through the air. Which leads to an interesting but sad point about nursing homes in that the workers interact closely with the residents, and these elderly people could cough or sneeze in a workers face for various reasons. If the resident is infected, then in the bat of an eye the worker could very well get infected particularly by a tiny droplet coughed or sneezed into their eye or nose which are two very vulnerable areas for virus entry.

then they bring it to the next patient :/ here in Mass our deaths doubled in one day apparently it got into a veterans home and took out a bunch of residents. we were doing well at 60 or so then got 60 more all in a day .

I heard on sports talk radio today that in areas where its locked down there are reports of speakeasies and underground clubs opening up and police having to search for them. How much of a loser do you have to be to need to drink in a bar so badly that you risk lives? Its not as if alcohol is illegal , that is just insane

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

then they bring it to the next patient :/ here in Mass our deaths doubled in one day apparently it got into a veterans home and took out a bunch of residents. we were doing well at 60 or so then got 60 more all in a day .

I heard on sports talk radio today that in areas where its locked down there are reports of speakeasies and underground clubs opening up and police having to search for them. How much of a loser do you have to be to need to drink in a bar so badly that you risk lives? Its not as if alcohol is illegal , that is just insane

Anyone who has a bad habit with alcohol or "recreational" drugs really needs to shut it down at this time. Also one of the best things we can do during this period is improve our diet. We need to keep our bodies as healthy as possible not only to help prevent catching the virus, but if we do catch it to help fight it successfully.

I've read where fat people have died at a much higher rate than others the same age from this disease.

It's a good time to develop some incentive to finally go on that proper diet and lose weight. Do it like your immediate life may depend on it, because it just might.

• Options

There are testing numbers , the number of tests that are positive versus negative , the number hospitalized , the deaths etc. The numbers cant go down in any of those categories but it still isnt a complete picture. Because of the lack of testing early on thousands who were never tested won't be counted who were positive and recovered or showed no symptoms. The tests can take 10 days so if the number of cases jumps up that might be test results from 10 days ago blended with tests from yesterday.

more to the point, the most advanced and technological Nation on Earth can't seem to develop a testing program that is made readily available, reliable and reported within 24 hours, that is the problem. it makes no sense to point fingers at any specific politician, just cut to the chase and admit that our Federal Government has failed us all, placed us at risk and altered Society for the foreseeable future.

it is ridiculous.

I think the rolling "lock down periods" are good in a way. it's easy to accept two weeks while more knowledge is disseminated and another period is decided on. as that happens, speaking only for myself, it is easier to understand and accept. as an example, here in Ohio we initially had a lockdown of two weeks which ends Monday night. knowing what we now know, that has already been extended till May 1st. it makes sense.

--- my funny story from today: I had to go to the bank to deposit a check, went through the drive-up window. I asked the Teller about my Safe Deposit Box and she said I had to come into the lobby, so I parked and Casey waited in the car with the dogs. I donned a bandana tied around my face and opened the doors using my elbows because my hands were out of sight in my pockets!!! I had a good laugh about that with the Tellers, they said any day other than today they would have been on the silent alarm. they actually thanked me for donning the face protection.

it's a strange world we live in. o:)