Home Sports Talk
Options

Dustin Pedroia and the beat goes on

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

A rare Red Sox comment from me.

While searching other sports issues, I came across the recent announcement that one Dustin Pedroia, once beloved 2nd baseman of the Red Sox has now put his home up for sale. Located in the very, very tony neighborhood of Chestnut Hill, some 4+ miles due west of Fenway Park, asking $8.95m. The home is located less than a mile from the once revered quarterback of the Patriots, Tom Brady. Tom also has his property for sale, for a mere $33+m...Dustin's home would be akin to a caretaker's cottage compared to the jaw dropping property of Brady. Which leads to the point of the comment...earlier, Pedroia had expressed that he was going to play in 2020. Despite perennial knee issues, he will not now, or, IMO, will ever play again. If you are not familiar with the injury issue, Manny Machado spiked Pedroia when sliding into 2nd base in 2017.

The past 2 seasons, Pedroia has played a mere 9 games. NINE! For this effort, and thanks to his incredibly generous contract with one John Henry, principle owner of the team, getting $16m and $15m in the last two seaons, it turns out that Dustin was paid some $3 million, 3 hundred forty four thousand, three hundred and forty four dollars for EACH of his 9 games. Oh, but more to come for Petey...he has yet another $35 million on the 2020 season and 2021 season due him. His reported current net worth exceeds $45m...the numbers just stagger the mind for what he has provided in return.

Crazy to think Mookie Betts' net worth is a mere $6m...for now.

It is fair to say that much goes on behind the scenes to alleviate the wallet whack, but, I think Pedroia will head back to California and blend, living like a king and laughing all the way to the bank. Why else would he sell?

So, as ticket prices, beer prices, vending prices and every other nuance associated with attending a baseball game continue to rise, this is just one of many, many reasons why. Paying forward for unknown performance from players who unfortunately have things happen to them. Smart for the player, dumb, very, very dumb for management.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

I been saying it for a few years now, Pedroia is a parasite. I honestly never cared for him either, I saw right through that beloved little engine that could stigma with him. Zero leadership and not worth the money for him to just suck off the Sox organization

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

The idiots are the people who keep shelling out their hard earned money to watch, buy $10.00 sodas and pay for jerseys etc.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    The idiots are the people who keep shelling out their hard earned money to watch, buy $10.00 sodas and pay for jerseys etc.

Agreed

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

True, but that will never end and IMO, only get worse. I'd guess a day at Fenway for a dad and 2 kids will put a serious hurt on at least 3 benjies+. I guess its like Disney, you sorta have a "dad and mom" obligation to thrill the crap out of your kid(s) and make the trek...a true wallet buster that place, especially if you stay inside the park!!

When I was a kid, the bleachers were $.75 each...and, you got to see Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle to boot! Not to mention other stars of that era.

Its sick to think Pedroia still has that kindof money coming for doing NADA.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    A rare Red Sox comment from me.

While searching other sports issues, I came across the recent announcement that one Dustin Pedroia, once beloved 2nd baseman of the Red Sox has now put his home up for sale. Located in the very, very tony neighborhood of Chestnut Hill, some 4+ miles due west of Fenway Park, asking $8.95m. The home is located less than a mile from the once revered quarterback of the Patriots, Tom Brady. Tom also has his property for sale, for a mere $33+m...Dustin's home would be akin to a caretaker's cottage compared to the jaw dropping property of Brady. Which leads to the point of the comment...earlier, Pedroia had expressed that he was going to play in 2020. Despite perennial knee issues, he will not now, or, IMO, will ever play again. If you are not familiar with the injury issue, Manny Machado spiked Pedroia when sliding into 2nd base in 2017.

The past 2 seasons, Pedroia has played a mere 9 games. NINE! For this effort, and thanks to his incredibly generous contract with one John Henry, principle owner of the team, getting $16m and $15m in the last two seaons, it turns out that Dustin was paid some $3 million, 3 hundred forty four thousand, three hundred and forty four dollars for EACH of his 9 games. Oh, but more to come for Petey...he has yet another $35 million on the 2020 season and 2021 season due him. His reported current net worth exceeds $45m...the numbers just stagger the mind for what he has provided in return.

Crazy to think Mookie Betts' net worth is a mere $6m...for now.

It is fair to say that much goes on behind the scenes to alleviate the wallet whack, but, I think Pedroia will head back to California and blend, living like a king and laughing all the way to the bank. Why else would he sell?

So, as ticket prices, beer prices, vending prices and every other nuance associated with attending a baseball game continue to rise, this is just one of many, many reasons why. Paying forward for unknown performance from players who unfortunately have things happen to them. Smart for the player, dumb, very, very dumb for management.

I'll say it one more time. Players should be paid this year for what they did last year! ;)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Agreed

+1

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭

I will not be watching them this year even if they get to play as I have cancelled my MLB package. If you are wondering what happened to Pitboss wonder no more as it is I. My computer and I don't know how to get along and I lost my pitboss handle and had to make up a new one and chose my last cat and my new cats names for the new one. Stay safe this year my friends as it is not very safe out there right now.

• Options

Welcome back Steve...was wondering what happened to you.

Yup, crazy times, just gotta tough it out. Stay well.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was never a pedroia fan. will be glad when he is off the books.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.