Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Picasso Medal 1949

This medal was struck on the occasion of the first World Congress of the Defenders of Peace, Paris, April 1949. The obverse shows Picasso 1949 and the reverse presents the Peace Dove painted by Picasso and chosen by Louis Aragon for the official Poster of the Congress. As the Dove of the Medal is called FRIEDENSTAUBE, the mint probably is German. Silver, about 34 mm, 13.80 g.

I would be grateful for any further information.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Google says the Peace dove image created by Pablo became a worldwide fav. Adopted by organizations of various themes. Can't find your medal but that dove profile is everywhere. Deciphering the markings may be helpful. .98x is obviously silver purity. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    mamieopamamieopa Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

Here is the poster of the 1949 Paris Congress.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

The medal has been cleaned and has scratches (hopefully you didn't do that.)

I think the purity says .985

That may give a clue as to country of origin as that is not a common purity for silver.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

German or Austrian origin. I've never seen it before. Too bad it has been harshly cleaned.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mamieopamamieopa Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    The medal has been cleaned and has scratches (hopefully you didn't do that.)

I think the purity says .985

That may give a clue as to country of origin as that is not a common purity for silver.

The medal was heavily cleaned in the past and has some nicks. The silver content is 980. It seems more eastern than western Germany.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

So from the left under the signature, is that a rooster facing right then a thick L with a big dot? They might be key hallmarks. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall