Home Sports Talk
Options

Cowboys make huge signing

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 27, 2020 2:02PM in Sports Talk

j/k

"Former Rams K Greg Zuerlein is headed to the Cowboys, rejoining special teams coach John Fassel. Zuerlein gets a three-year deal with a base value of $7.5 million."

Z's best days are behind him. Last year 5 for 11 from 40-49 yards out.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I opened this I was hoping for a Clowney signing. This just goes to show me that the Jones's don't know squat about running a Football team. :s

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me loves Jerry Jones.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Me loves Jerry Jones.

A great team doesn't even need a kicker. Who here knows who the Dallas kicker was in 92-95 when they won 3 SB's. I could have been their kicker then!!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vinatieri was pretty instrumental in a couple of those NE Super Bowl championship seasons.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:
    Me loves Jerry Jones.

A great team doesn't even need a kicker. Who here knows who the Dallas kicker was in 92-95 when they won 3 SB's. I could have been their kicker then!!

I know that Jerry could be the Cowboys kicker if he would just get out there and practice it for 15 minutes a day.

Try it for four or five seasons and see how it works out.

You can do it Jerry!

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:
    Me loves Jerry Jones.

I know that Jerry could be the Cowboys kicker if he would just get out there and practice it for 15 minutes a day.

You can do it Jerry!

Steve I think I am about to get to the point where I just don't care. :/

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:
    Me loves Jerry Jones.

You can do it Jerry!

Steve I think I am about to get to the point where I just don't care. :/

I'd venture a guess that almost every sports fan is in a bit of a funk right now when it comes to being a sports fan, and a lot of other things as well.

The uncertainty is probably the worst part. I mean this damn virus may not be over for some time yet.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    When I opened this I was hoping for a Clowney signing. This just goes to show me that the Jones's don't know squat about running a Football team. :s

He had a HUGE year last year, very disruptive.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I know you don't value him like the rest of us, but I would take him....especially if the price is right. He draws double teams, which helps others so he can be "disruptive" without getting the numbers. B)

• Options

Meh. His numbers sucked last year.

Maybe you just can't admit it when you are wrong?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Meh. His numbers sucked last year.

Maybe you just can't admit it when you are wrong?

I'm not saying I am right or wrong. I am saying I would like him on my team....that's all.

• Options

Since the Clowney "sweepstakes" thread, I have really tried to find value in this guy and I just don't see much.

A couple of pretty solid years in 2017-18, but nothing special for a #1 overall pick.

Last year he was a below average player for all of his reputed talent.

If they ever have a statistic for "disruptive" maybe he'll be impressive.

I have been watching football since the mid 1960's and I want guys that tackle people, even if they draw a double team occasionally. We have had a LOT of great defensive players here in Minnesota, so maybe my expectations are higher than most.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Since the Clowney "sweepstakes" thread, I have really tried to find value in this guy and I just don't see much.

A couple of pretty solid years in 2017-18, but nothing special for a #1 overall pick.

Last year he was a below average player for all of his reputed talent.

If they ever have a statistic for "disruptive" maybe he'll be impressive.

I have been watching football since the mid 1960's and I want guys that tackle people, even if they draw a double team occasionally. We have had a LOT of great defensive players here in Minnesota, so maybe my expectations are higher than most.

He has definitely underwhelmed. Though, despite low sack numbers, he makes a lot of tackles for loss.

In college he was so dominant, but his last year was a real let down. I think that last year changed him - he lost his edge. I don't know.

He is a very good player. Maybe he will put it all together someday - but it is hard to command top dollar for potential.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Low sack totals through the years, but supposedly last year he was VERY disruptive. I think he was 4th in the league in tackles for loss. Anyone confirm?

What happened to this guy? The year before he was drafted he was super dominant. Injured early on in career. Is he on the rise?

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clowney's stats were down not because of his play, but because of injuries. both knees have been carved up since he entered the league, and he was plagued again last season. when he's healthy -- and that's the only if with him -- he's one of the best edge rushers in football. that's why he's going to get paid millions by someone.

for everyone here fixated on sack totals, please stop conveying just how low your football IQ is. that is an absolutely horrific way to judge any pass rusher's effectiveness in the pass rush. they are a snapshot and a very small sample size, and that's assuming they are created equal..........which, of course, they're not.

Clowney doesn't possess sack totals that give some of you guys stiffies, so it will actually require brain usage to figure out what makes him a dominant force. since Banzai may be royally screwed in that regard, i'll help....

Clowney is one of the best run defenders in football. he's a total freak. he possesses a motor that never stops. he constantly blows plays up. he possesses unparalleled athleticism. he alters game plans. he consistently absorbs double -- and against the Vikings last year, triple -- teams. he even scores touchdowns. other than that, he sucks.

the Monday night game against the Niners was one of the best performances by any d-lineman i had seen all season long. he completely wrecked it. it's just a shame that it happened after Banzai's 7 pm bedtime..........otherwise he might have actually seen something that would sway his baseless (and worthless) opinions. he also had two very good games in the playoffs. solo tackles, assisted tackles, tackles for losses, sacks, QB hits (including one that permanently removed Ginger Ail and essentially won Seattle the game)........on and on.

i mean, really, who in their right mind would want a guy on their team who can do something like this? it's just a shame that it doesn't count because it's a meaningless, sack-less contribution. 😆

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cjsicrqr10

• Options
    edited April 13, 2020 9:04PM

You are such a child. Anyone with a differing opinion is an idiot. If you actually took the time to read my posts, you would see that I was simply asking what was so great about him and you seemed to take it personally. Try to grow up a bit.

Thanks for showing everyone what a jerk you are, as well as an idiot who knows nothing about football. Edge rushers are measured in ability by sacking the QB, that's a simple fact. He also doesn't tackle very many guys. Apparently he does put out the occasional effort if he has the opportunity to make a "splashy" play. Otherwise he's lazy. Sorry, the truth hurts.

"Just watch him" you said. I did. The Vikings single blocked him last year with an average left tackle. Clowney did NOTHING last year other than one big game when he actually felt like putting forth some effort. Now it's because he's hurt. You're the one who's hurt because I was right, not you.

He is completely over rated and certainly over paid. Great talent and athleticism and for all but 2 seasons very average player. Certainly a TOTAL BUST as a number 1 overall pick.

Go ahead and blast away at me. I won't waste any more time trying to discuss it with you.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2020 9:08PM

@JoeBanzai said:

You are such a child.

here's some light reading material for you Banzai. make sure you ingest every word........and especially this very uncanny paragraph. i'm happy to know that someone else on this earth sees what this "child" does. seriously, did i write this?

"At this point in his career, the guy is a cosmic-level game wrecker, plain and simple. It’s hard to even quantify the damage he does to opposing offenses with any sort of statistics. There are just so many things he does that don’t really translate to a stat sheet, but those plays end up making a difference in the game. Even when he isn’t the one making the play, Clowney will often be so disruptive that he clears a path for his teammates to make the play. You have to actually watch the guy play if you really want to get a feel for the true impact he has."

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/14/20962452/jadeveon-clowney-seahawks-defense-touchdown-49ers-texans-film-breakdown

• Options

I said he had one good game, they play 16 a year.

By by.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

I said he had one good game, they play 16 a year.

By by.

try watching 16 games instead of 1

arrivederci

• Options

Same could be said to you.

Aufwiedersehen

• Options
    edited April 13, 2020 9:42PM

@JoeBanzai said:
    You are such a child. Anyone with a differing opinion is an idiot. If you actually took the time to read my posts, you would see that I was simply asking what was so great about him and you seemed to take it personally. Try to grow up a bit.

Thanks for showing everyone what a jerk you are, as well as an idiot who knows nothing about football. Edge rushers are measured in ability by sacking the QB, that's a simple fact. He also doesn't tackle very many guys. Apparently he does put out the occasional effort if he has the opportunity to make a "splashy" play. Otherwise he's lazy. Sorry, the truth hurts.

"Just watch him" you said. I did. The Vikings single blocked him last year with an average left tackle. Clowney did NOTHING last year other than one big game when he actually felt like putting forth some effort. Now it's because he's hurt. You're the one who's hurt because I was right, not you.

He is completely over rated and certainly over paid. Great talent and athleticism and for all but 2 seasons very average player. Certainly a TOTAL BUST as a number 1 overall pick.

Go ahead and blast away at me. I won't waste any more time trying to discuss it with you.

quoting this for posterity. i don't give a rat's ass what you have to say about me personally, but i want everyone to see just how laughable you are. find ONE person with a shred of football knowledge who mimics anything you've said about Clowney. JUST ONE.

you'll quickly find out that you're on an island by yourself, idiot. but hey, at least you won't get the coronavirus

• Options

I'd like to say the Cowboys suck, but it's just not any fun right now. :/

• Options

Sorry Joe …… I'm with Galaxy on Clowney. I would to see him with a star on his helmet. He kind of reminds me of Haley that we use to have!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Sorry Joe …… I'm with Galaxy on Clowney. I would to see him with a star on his helmet. He kind of reminds me of Haley that we use to have!

That's ok Jon, we often disagree, but you have my respect.

They are similar type players, Haley was better. I've NEVER said Clowney wasn't a good football player, but "disruptive" is not good enough for someone with this much ability...........and hype. Haley was drafted in the 4th round and Clowney was the #1 overall pick.

Jadeveon has never had a year with 10 sacks, Charles had 6 years with more than 10 with a high of 16. Haley was a little better at making tackles too averaging 50 per year to Clowney's 47. I can't say who was more "disruptive". If you look at the "Average Value" stat, Haley averaged a 9.7, Clowney a 7.

You want to see a GREAT player? Look at Danielle Hunter.

@thisistheshow said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Low sack totals through the years, but supposedly last year he was VERY disruptive. I think he was 4th in the league in tackles for loss. Anyone confirm?

What happened to this guy? The year before he was drafted he was super dominant. Injured early on in career. Is he on the rise?

Welcome to the island. He was unbelievable in college! Looks to me he is not on the rise. We'll see what he does next year.

Clowney was 79th in TFL last year. He was #9 two years ago in tackles for a loss, the year before #2 and the year before that #7. Those were his best three years, he averaged 1.2 TFL per game.

Last year he was not in the top 50 in QB hits and 125th in sacks. He did have his best year at forcing fumbles with 4.

• Options

hopefully this finally proves my point, but i bet it won't because Banzai loves to argue just for the sake or arguing. i will agree with you that Hunter is a stud. there is no doubt about it. yet look at where all of those extra tackles, assists and sacks gets him when compared to Clowney -- a mere two points separates them on pro football focus' player grades that go from 0-100.

again, stop making love to statistics, actually watch the guy play, then think outside the box by using your head. and when i say watch him play, that means watching games......plural. not cherry-picking individual plays, then jumping on here and spouting off like an idiot. that's what annoys me so much about you. it's not that i'm Jadeveon Clowney's agent.........or the Houston Texans' or Seattle Seahawks' #1 fan..........it's just that watching you spew your ignorance all over the place -- time and time again -- drives me absolutely nuts. i'm all about people digging deep and putting their intellect on display for everyone to see. relying solely on numbers because you've seen very little of a player then trashing him ad nauseam is not what that entails.

i said up above that sack totals alone are a poor metric for an edge rusher, and this absolutely proves my point. Hunter had FIVE TIMES as many sacks last season. he also had THREE TIMES as many assists and almost TWO TIMES the number of tackles. yet lookie there -- they're virtually the same player.

so clearly Clowney is not the worthless piece of shit bust you make him out to be. if you actually broke it down and dug deep to find out what makes him so good, i'd actually respect you and get off your back. but as long as you continue to opine without substance, i'm not going to be able to abstain from saying something.

• Options

Too bad you have to insult me every time you post, it just proves what kind of person you are.

You obviously don't read my posts. If you actually do, then call me an idiot is the absolute most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, because I have never said Clowney is "the worthless piece of shit bust you make him out to be". I also have never said sacks alone are how I rate edge rushers, even though that is their primary purpose.

I have quoted QB "hits" forced fumbles, tackles and tackles for a loss as well.

I have also said that Clowney had 3 really nice years; 2016,17 and 18. He made the pro bowl those years, but not first team all-pro.

I am unsure if you are drunk or on drugs or have some kind of mental defect that makes you hallucinate, but if you can't read and comprehend what I have been writing all along, I feel pity for you. You do certainly seem to have the need to belittle others who disagree with you.

If you recall, I simply asked why he was so great, you said "watch and see". Well, I kept an open mind, watched his play and he had a pretty bad year, other than the Monday Night game against the 49ers.

If you are paying money for the type of information you posted as "proof", you are getting cheated.

For last year Pro Football Reference rates Hunter at a 12 in "Average Value" and Clowney a 6. For 2018 it's Hunter 17, Clowney 11, 2017 they were about equal with a one point edge to Clowney. This looks about right. Prior to that Hunter was not a starter.

Funny you mention that you are not Clowney's agent, I was actually going to ask you if you were.

Maybe a friend or relative?

• Options

I've never been big on stats for rating players. It's what they do and when they do it and how or if they help the team win. A great example is Romo…...he has great stats......but was a TOTAL loser when it counted. I mean TOTAL!!!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I've never been big on stats for rating players. It's what they do and when they do it and how or if they help the team win. A great example is Romo…...he has great stats......but was a TOTAL loser when it counted. I mean TOTAL!!!

Kind of like Randy Moss ;-)

Jon are you really going to tell me you think Jadeveon had a great year last year?

BE HONEST!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Kind of like Randy Moss ;-)

Jon are you really going to tell me you think Jadeveon had a great year last year?

BE HONEST!

To be honest I didn't see him play last year. When I have seen him he was very good. Maybe the injuries have slowed him down. If that is the case anybody looking at him should have all of that checked out. As far as money none of them are worth what they are paid. I mean NOBODY!!!

• Options
    edited April 14, 2020 2:12PM

Banzai i have given my opinion of the guy and you have given yours. i have even posted the opinions of multiple respected sources that actually know what they're talking about, and their analysis in large part jibes with mine. yours? not so much. again, show me one person or one source that shares your view on Clowney. show me one person or one source that said he had a "pretty bad year." PFF gave him a rating similar to Hunter's. ESPN had him as the 63rd best player in the league last season. the guy is going to sign a mega deal as soon as teams can get to him and perform a comprehensive physical. when it does.......and when he gets handsomely paid........let me guess, you'll be smarter than every general manager in the league, too?

i would love nothing more than for you to join a fantasy league i'm in and put your expert player analysis on display. it would actually require you to show what you know beyond the constant blathering you do here. i'm here to tell you, you would get exposed very quickly. every time you turned around someone would be unceremoniously handing you your ass. by the time the season was over you would walk away feeling like you're drunk. or on drugs. or you have some kind of mental defect that makes you hallucinate.

i know reading comprehension is not your strong suit, but read this paragraph again closely and allow it to marinate:

"At this point in his career, the guy is a cosmic-level game wrecker, plain and simple. It’s hard to even quantify the damage he does to opposing offenses with any sort of statistics. There are just so many things he does that don’t really translate to a stat sheet, but those plays end up making a difference in the game. Even when he isn’t the one making the play, Clowney will often be so disruptive that he clears a path for his teammates to make the play. You have to actually watch the guy play if you really want to get a feel for the true impact he has."

i'm bound and determined to pick your football IQ off the deck and give it a boost. when it happens, it will be the most noteworthy achievement of my lifetime. i may even try to incorporate it in my resume.

• Options

A fantasy guy, that explains it.

PFF stands for pfffftt, how his career has gone. Their own graph shows how much better Hunter is.

Your paragraph was taken from the football analyists at either the society for the blind or comedy central.

Sorry, but Dimeman is not a recognized reputable source. No offense Jon.

My rating for his "value" comes from Pro Football Reference, they rate him HALF as good as Hunter. I have posted it and of course you missed that. No surprises there.

• Options

i keep digging, hoping to find someone with a pulse who agrees with anything Banzaieinstein has to say

instead, i keep stumbling over stuff like this. sounds so eerily familiar, like someone on this board has made these exact points before or something

https://clutchpoints.com/evaluating-jadeveon-clowneys-first-six-games-with-the-seahawks/