Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989, 1990 Topps Top Active Career Batting Leaders

I became intrigued by this set after Sports Collectors Daily posted an article about these (1989, 1990). https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1989-1990-topps-active-career-batting-leaders-sets-are-rare-junk-wax-era-gems/

I really have no memory of them when they were released but the fact that they only came in K-Mart exclusive blister packs must have made them relatively scarce even then. Not many have been graded and the George Brett seems to be more scarce than the others in both years. (I was able to score this 1990 recently, would like to find an equally nice 1989 (red)).

Comments

• royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2020 12:42PM

They are certainly more hard to find than most from the era. I never saw them at K-Mart (but I wasn't there looking...), picked up a '90 Brett at a show some 20 years ago Somehow, I do not have the '89 Brett.

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

One of those designs that sticks in my head. Probably only because they were not massively overproduced. The 89 Ames 20/20 set and 86 Woolworth are a couple other sets I like from that era that don't seem like they were way overproduced.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I have some of the green ones somewhere. Do not remember the red ones.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    One of those designs that sticks in my head. Probably only because they were not massively overproduced. The 89 Ames 20/20 set and 86 Woolworth are a couple other sets I like from that era that don't seem like they were way overproduced.

Pretty sure I've got some of those Ames cards packed away. Will try to locate them. Curious to see which players I have.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Here's my Brett 1989, heavily off-centered unfortunately

• royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I thought I had a 89 Brett somewhere and finally found it.

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001