Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GTG - Sort of

I want to play a variation of “Guess the Grade”.
I bought this coin as a AU55, but think it is much better than that. Am I missing something?
As no grading will happen for a while, trying again is not an option any time soon.
Opinions from Cap & Rays lovers would be most appreciated.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you post non-glamour shots of the coin? Maybe a video rotating it under a strong light? This could be a similar case to my 1794 where no wear can be seen in photos, but the coin's luster is very flat. Also got a 55 at PCGS.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Can you post non-glamour shots of the coin? Maybe a video rotating it under a strong light? This could be a similar case to my 1794 where no wear can be seen in photos, but the coin's luster is very flat. Also got a 55 at PCGS.

I second this. A TruView is a nice photo, but can often be hard to interpret for grading (especially as a standalone).

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

55 seems harsh... The fields are going to be critical. In the image, they look better than average. I think an MS grade is possible

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

From> @coinkat said:

55 seems harsh... The fields are going to be critical. In the image, they look better than average. I think an MS grade is possible

I agree

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reflectivity is very strong. My poor camera skills aren’t allowing me to create a photo showing this.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just some more commentary on this one mainly because it has definite look that is worth further discussion. I like the cap & rays side... It is well struck with reasonable color. The eagle is well struck with flat spots at the high points which is likely how it was struck. Some may conclude that the flat spots is wear/friction leading to the justification of an AU grade. And I suspect that is likely why the seller graded it a 55. So the grade analysis really turns full circle back to the fields. And if they are complete with minimal interruption...not just in the reflectivity but more so with die flow lines, there is a chance it will grade MS. That chance will increase if it has the right skin that has that undeniable ageless look. There are reasons to be optimistic If the image truly captures the persona of this coin.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    From> @coinkat said:

I agree

Looks 58+/62ish