Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Weight Tolerances on Older Russian Coins and Authenticity

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold the ruble below recently, and the buyer questioned its authenticity citing its weight at 20.3g vs. the Krause-listed 20.73g. To my eye, the coin looked okay (it is cleaned, with the fields changing between a dark and light look depending on how the light hits it), but nothing looked funny, for lack of a better term. Things like the random weak letter are phenomena I've seen on similar coins. That said, this isn't a type of coin I know in great detail. I wouldn't necessarily expect a bit of wear and a cleaning to shave off .3-.4g, but I suppose that could explain some weight loss. Is there a weight tolerance from this era where a slightly underweight coin could be completely fine, or is there anything that tips you off to saying yes or no to this coin's authenticity?

The buyer is a repeat and I want to treat him right no matter what. But if I can point to something that says the coin is fine, we can all be done and happy. Of course, if there is an issue, hopefully I can learn something and I'll make him whole.

Thanks!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need to see what the ruble is to better ascertain the reliability of the tolerances. Depending on the coin and where it was minted is a big factor, because some late 19th century coins were minted in Brussels etc.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2020 7:16AM

@SaorAlba said:
    Need to see what the ruble is to better ascertain the reliability of the tolerances. Depending on the coin and where it was minted is a big factor, because some late 19th century coins were minted in Brussels etc.

My bad! I thought I added them when I first posted. :neutral: Added them to the main post.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see anything to suggest that it is nothing other than an early 19th century Russian ruble - during that time in particular weights could vary a bit - 4 zolotnik and 21 dolya were what the coin was supposed to be, but that coin also has some circulation which definitely could be the factor in the weight difference.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Looks good to me

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options

@btcollects said:
    Looks authentic to me, too, but the edge can tell a story. I've never seen a counterfeit with a convincing edge, do you have pics?

These are all I have. I can't say I studied the edge, but if it would have looked really off, I hope I would have noticed when holding the coin.