Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Do a super set or a custom set

I've been waffling between doing super sets or master sets for several sets or just making custom sets. Some of the players right now are the Core 4, Mattingly, Bernie williams and possibly Ted Williams. What are your opinions on what I should do? 2 reasons why I probably won't get them finished: I'm 66 and probably not live long enough and money is always a factor, but deep down I like a registry set is to see how far I get and how high my sets go. What would your choice. Thank you I could use constructive opinions.

Comments

• bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Another thing, I can't justify spending $8.50 (lowest bulk price) and up for a measly 2 or 3 dollar card.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collect what you like, but, you won't get very far with the roadblocks you've already established for yourself.

If these types of sets were easy, many more would take the challenge. These sets are an adventure, not a sprint. Who cares how high up you can go on the Registry? Are you collecting cards or satisfying your ego? Been there, it's just a quick sugar high that doesn't last. All those people are strangers to you, it's not like you can have some face time and discuss collections.

The $8.50 per card is for a 200 card submission...you are wasting your time thinking that cost is too expensive...should they do it for free? It's a business, expect to pay a price, it ain't gonna go lower, only higher. $8.50 x 200 = $1,700 + shipping both ways. $9.00 x 100 - $900 + shipping...a difference of $800, which is almost the equivalent of a second 100 card sub. You need to rethink the math.

Ted Williams??? You won't even scratch the surface of that set. One of my Master Sets took me right at 7 years to finish and I had to pay premiums for the very rare cards needed, and those are low PSA gradings.

Were I you, with what you've written, I'd not waste my time, you are not looking at a hill to climb, you are looking at Everest.
    Look into Basic Sets, get your feet wet, then see if you want to go for the Big League Sets...you are not there.

You asked.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bammerbb said:
    I've been waffling between doing super sets or master sets for several sets or just making custom sets. Some of the players right now are the Core 4, Mattingly, Bernie williams and possibly Ted Williams. What are your opinions on what I should do? 2 reasons why I probably won't get them finished: I'm 66 and probably not live long enough and money is always a factor, but deep down I like a registry set is to see how far I get and how high my sets go. What would your choice. Thank you I could use constructive opinions.

A super set is for wealthy collectors.

Master sets can be pretty tough as well. My Killebrew Master set now has 259 items in it, many nearly impossible to find.

Maybe a Basic set would be better for you. You can focus on higher grade cards if you want and they would probably have some value as well.

Makes NO sense to me to grade $1.00 cards.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basic sets make sense like the other guys said, but also a showcase might be nice too. If you want to chase the oddballs, but not all of them, you could buy what you like and put it in a showcase. Good luck!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox