Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Modern Guyana Franklin Mint Issues and 1976FM Currency variants

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 22, 2020 8:35AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Ok, tread here only if you love modern COINS of the Franklin Mint. LOL.
Krause has listed 1976FM uncirculated in two varieties: (U) or proof like and (M) or matte. With regards to the dollar coin, they have mintage at 50 and 600 pieces struck respectively. The FM to the best of knowledge did not package these as mint sets, and I have never seen one; however, evidently the Central Bank of Guyana did package uncirculated coins in green cardboard and these were made for all years 1976-1980 and came with the dollar by itself, in5 coin sets 1c to 50c and in six coin sets 1c to $1. The $5 and $10 were not issued in any sets that I have seen, but Krause lists them for 1977 and 1978 years.

The coin quality of the Guyana (?) packaged sets is rather dubious and seem to have been the result of rushed or rather careless production IMO. Below I have pictured the packaged dollar from a 6 coin specimen set that is presumably (U), but really a rather poor surface to the fields for a proof like strike. I then took pictures of a (M) matte version.
The porous fields on the packaged dollar are "as struck" and look very sloppy as do the other coins in the set.

So there are at least a couple of questions:

Is this first dollar a (U) coin, or an ordinary currency strike that is not matte either?
Corollary: are there three types of uncirculated coins struck by the Franklin Mint for the period 1976-1980?
Were the (M) coins released to circulation, or at least to the Central Bank (note the bag marks on this coin)?
Has anyone seen Franklin Mint packaged mint sets for Guyana of any year (1976-1980)?

The Franklin Mint did package up coins not struck by them for later years, most from the Royal Mint and these should not be confused with these I am talking about.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know Guyana coins, but I've seen other Franklin Mint coins. The U coins look shiny/polished but with no frost on the devices.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the coins appears to have been polished after it left the Franklin Mint. This is not unknown in the world of coin sets put together by third world countries. I recall buying a set of Ethiopian coins at a bank in Asmara, Eritrea (then a part of Ethiopia) that contained a polished 50 cent coin. (The 50 cent silver coins were no longer circulating at the time of the purchase, 1971). The other denominations in the set were unc.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

It is really more as if the planchet was extremely rough and then the device and lettering parts struck up did alright, the fields not so well. In hand it does not have the appearance of polishing. I posted a 1980FM Guyana 10 dollars unc (U) that looked somewhat similar but nicer; it however had bag marks like the above (M) dollar.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2021 3:42PM

@7Jaguars said:
    Krause has listed 1976FM uncirculated in two varieties: (U) or proof like and (M) or matte. With regards to the dollar coin, they have mintage at 50 and 600 pieces struck respectively.

An internet search led me to this thread as I am looking for info on 1976 (U) Guyana dollars. I am particularly interested in finding out more about the listed mintage of 50, as I have about 10 or 12 of them. Anybody know anything?

The pictured coin is not polished, it is scruffy (as are all of the ones I have), it's not a proof and is definitely the version with a prooflike (as opposed to matte) finish.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2021 5:41PM

With that contrast, it would be a proof strike. Not sure the origin, but many broke the 8 coin sets and pulled the silver & turned the rest out...I have written a bit about this - as per above - on this site and also cointalk.
    I have pics of the PL uncs which look different and really are not PL....That actually is the truth of it.

The update to the OP is that the first three pictures are coins with the "(U)" or PL strike, although the end result is not very prooflike. The flans were obviously quite pitted and rough and then struck up with the greatest strike pressures showing then some PL character around the lettering and devices. The coin is most certainly NOT polished and is of the quality of PL or (U).
    I believe but can not prove that the Central Bank of Guyana packaged all of these either separately or in six coin sets that they themselves prepped - not the Franklin Mint although they are Franklin Mint coins.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2021 8:28PM

Is this a proof?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154664432542?hash=item2402b7f39e:g:x9MAAOSwVAVhcvGr

"and really are not PL"

When I said the coin looks "PL", I intended to mean "not matte".

• Options

Ah just happened to be still on -

that would be a mishandled proof for sure. Must say I like the simple designs with these animals....

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    that would be a mishandled proof for sure.

Thanks!