Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Acquired a piece of old hockey memorabilia, unsure who'd benefit the most from it

daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

Hello all. I was at an estate sale not long ago, and picked up an interesting looking Longines pocket watch with some hockey charms attached to its chain. I negotiated with the estate sale company for the price, and once I paid for it, the seller said, "hold on a minute," and dug through some box next to him. He pulled out a small case/box for the pocket watch, which had a small pane inside commemorating the pocket watch to a hockey player named "Cliff Barton" on behalf of "Huberman's Inc.," for winning the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association's Allan Cup in 1929. I believe he led/captained the Port Arthur Bruins, and the very next season he would go on to play for several NHL teams. Inside the pocket watch is engraving of his name; on the case's exterior is his initials. In case anyone is interested in seeing pictures, the link to the imgur album is here.

I chiefly collect coins and watches (I used to be very active on the PCGS US coins section of this forum) though I have dabbled a little in autographs. Truth be told, however, I probably wouldn't appreciate the pocket watch as a die-hard hockey fan would.

Today, I am here to ask those who are more experienced in sports memorabilia where I could get an appropriate valuation or offer for this pocket watch.

I have reached out to Heritage Auctions, as they have sold a pocket watch of similar make and provenance (but not condition) as this one in the past. I will probably post this question on a site more concerned with horology (just as I have posted on a site more relevant to sports memorabilia), but in the meantime, I'd like to ask if anyone has any suggestions. Would it be out-of-line/poor form to offer the pocket watch to teams/associations where this player has played? Would said teams/associations even entertain sales from the public, or do they usually go through established auction houses?

Thank you in advance!

Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
Pre-Jump Grade Project
Toned Commemoratives

Answers

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I know nothing about watches, but would guess your find would be worth more to a watch collector than a sports memorabilia collector. I’m a hockey guy and had to google Cliff Barton.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting piece.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    I know nothing about watches, but would guess your find would be worth more to a watch collector than a sports memorabilia collector. I’m a hockey guy and had to google Cliff Barton.

Thanks. I'll probably pursue that avenue, but thought I'd ask here just in case.

Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

You may want to offer it to the Hockey Hall Of Fame. You may get a tax deduction for it and the eternal gratitude from millions of hockey fans who see it over the years.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

Classic Auctions might have an interest in brokering the sale for you. I don't know anything about value from a watch perspective, but in terms of value for a hockey item, I would say $2,000 - $3,000.

• Options

@AANV said:
    Classic Auctions might have an interest in brokering the sale for you. I don't know anything about value from a watch perspective, but in terms of value for a hockey item, I would say $2,000 - $3,000.

Thank you- I will get in touch with them!

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives