Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My numismatic malaise deepens...

My numismatic malaise deepens, and I need your help, my friends. After selling my proof Washingtons I really don't have any interest in anything new. Yes, I tried MS Roosevelts but found too few on the market and prices too high; the ms68 coins I would get excited about are not being offered.

Ive even considered Patterns, but darn it, where can I pick up the Judd book so I know what Im looking at? Copper fifty cent pieces sure can be intriguing, can't they? But without more knowledge, I find their prices scary. Knowledge could make the prices more realistic to me.

Ive even considered revisiting rainbow toned Morgans, but about a year or so ago I sold off a great collection and got slaughtered in the bidding (the subject of a different thread many months ago).

So here I am -- with cash and nothing of interest.

It's gotten so bad that recently I was in an art gallery considering adding to my collection of Calder signed lithographs. Calder offers design, color, prestige -- gee, theyre almost like rainbow toned Morgans!!

Ive even considered another collection of proof Washingtons, but that 1936pr67 with its super-high reserve spoiled that adventure.

Woe is me. I need help. cheers, alan mendelson

Comments

• Options
    Time to switch to something less commonplace. Maybe start collecting errors. I'm a big fan of currency errors, and they seem to have decent resale value, too.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Have you considered toned commemoratives (1892-1954)? (Personally, I like the fact that each one in the set is different.)

Alternatively, When I think of Calder, I think of mobiles, they cost a bit more than signed lithographs but heck it's only money.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    The DARKSIDE is the place to be!image
    Joe
  • Options
    The ladies are ALWAYS nice..Mercs Rule....even a nice collection of Proof Mercuries are not to far fetched.
    Just a thought.
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alan:

Patterns are indeed a cool area in which to collect. The demand isn't huge so the prices for very rare pieces are not too outlandish. I read where you want a copy of Judd's book. Judd's book is good, but the ultimate last word on pattern's is Pollock's book. Pollock goes into much more detail about why the coins were struck and has many more variations than does Judd. On the other hand, Judd is MUCH shorter and for that reason at times it is easier to grasp the "big picture" using Judd. The information is in Pollock, just at times it's a bit more difficult to see which patterns belong to a "set." But in anycase, I strongly recommend Pollock's book. It's about $80 or so from Bowers and Merena though sometimes they run specials on it. I just did a quick Internet search for a copy of Judd and I found where Stacks last summer was selling editions 2 (1962), 4 (1970), 5 (1974), 6 (1977), and 7 (1982) for $25, $40, $60, $75, $110 respectively. Personally, for the $35 difference, I'd go with the 6th edition because I expect there isn't a lot of difference between the 6th edition and 7th and the prices are useless anyway. By the way, the 7th edition was the last, though Bowers and Merena recently mentioned they might work on an 8th edition.

I also see where you are concerned about prices. The prices in both Pollock and Judd are woefully out-dated. If you are interested in reasonably current prices, visit the home page of theSociety of US Pattern Collectors. On the "links" page is a link to a price guide put together by Superior. I can't vouch for the total accuracy of this list, but it doesn't seem outlandish.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oops
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    The Calder Liths sound cool. I'd rather have a mobile. I saw some in Philly two weekends ago, but they were larger than my living room!!!! Still I could put it outside and I'd have the coolest outdoor sculpture in the neighborhood.

How about collecting some proof type coins? You might fall for 3 cent nickels or seated dollars or something, in the meantime you get to explore and learn about different types.
  • Options
    How about a gold series, like $5 or $10 Indians? Plenty of challenge there so that you couldn't assemble a set overnight.
    Keith ™

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alan: You love proof Wash quarters. Why not go back into them? You sold your set for strong money and you can now go back and pursue nice DCAM examples, if you deisre. Also, while the 36 proof in PCGS-PR67 would have been a terrific acquisition below the reserve amount imho, there will be opportunities to pick up a nice PR66 (and probably around the same price you bought your original coin years ago!). image

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    If you want to stay engaged in the collecting process, it seems to me that a type set might keep you going. There is always a new series to learn about and a decision as to grade and date for each one. That or come over to the Mercs where there is always fun going on.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    MoneyLA:

I feel for you. Nothing worse than getting bored with something. I know I got bored with my mint state Washington set and had to sell. Bottom line is I really don't like Washington quarter anythings. Let me suggest a few ideas.

1. How about a 20th century proof type set. You have a lot of knowledge in the area already. All the coins are beautiful. Good group of collectors here.

2. Weinman proofs. Mercury Dimes and Walkers. Drop dead gorgeous. Can find all of them. Disadvantage is that they have run up in price quite a bit.

3. Proof Buffalos. Yes they are expensive and always have been. Advantage is shock appeal. Most collectors never saw a proof Buffalo. Take one to your local coin show and hear the wooos. Add in a set of matte proof Lincolns for real effect.

4. Proof Lincolns 1936 - 1958. These are so underrated and yet so attractive. I own a few and really love them. Look for RDs in 36-42 and CAMs or DCAMs in 50 - 58. Put in a matte proof Lincoln and a few Memorials to do a nice type collection.

5. Proof Seated Quarters. Work on an entire set of toned cameos. Or, start with a full type set. Nobody is doing these and they are still affordable. Eclectic.

6. A set of Peac*ock toned IKE proofs in 67CAM or better. If you can do it you will have the best set of 1964+ proofs anywhere regardless of what the set registry ranks say.

Now that I have written all this, I am thinking of selling all my stuff and starting on these as well.image

Greg
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I also fell into the same position as you, Alan. So, I started collecting Morgan Dollars, and Mercury dimes.image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The hummingbird tongues of collecting , would be Morgan Dollars DMPL in high grade.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Alan - When my PR Kennedy Half dollar set got knocked out of 1st place recently, I decided to change my collecting habit. I am now collecting slabbed moose droppings in MS-70 condition. I am led to believe that there is more then enough raw material for the both of us to collect. Good luck Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I am working on a set of brown and red brown unc slabbed Lincolns. Not nearly so expensive as full Red, and, to me, there is nothing like a glossy brown Lincoln. Try it, you'll like it!!!! Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    ToninginthebloodToningintheblood Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Alan, I love the challenge of finding beautifully colored coins of many kinds. A real challege has been a colorfully toned Walker Short Set, I just registered mine two nights ago, never having done a registry sign-up with the weights given various dates, I was please to come out in top ten all time, and top 6 or 7 on the current finest. Ended up with 66.10 overall, and I know I have several upgrades in my current set. But, it was great fun hunting down the examples I have, and continuing to hunt for imporvements for the set to make it better. But a couple of other fun doable sets that are a challenge but can be done over time, an MS-63 $21/2 Indian set, and I am now attempting to do a toned proof 3 cent silver set, which by the way proof 3 cent silvers can have beautiful toning and patterns of toning so a group together can be an awesome sight! Dale L.
    Specializing in coins with "thin film interference" & "sulfur impregnated surfaces" due to hanging out with "old bags" and "wrappers"
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "so a group together can be an awesome sight"

Dale: Nothing compared to watching you dance the Hula (not) image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    Hi Alan
    I agree with typetone..the Weinman mercs and walkers in proof are stunning along with those buffalo's and toningintheblood is sure right about 3cent silvers, there are some killer ones out there. in fact toningintheblood showed me a great on at LB, way cool..and cant leave out the 3cent nickels..you could do the proofs all cameo's or all toned or the ms in just about any condition are rough..
    Bruce Scher
    ps..money no object..an early proof set including the gold...1860's no motto with the gold to match...or proof gold type set..

• Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Hi Alan,

From past experience, you seem to enjoy putting together registry sets and having coins graded. This can still be done with several 20th. century series, but it sounds like you need a new challenge. A lot of excellent suggestions have been made, so I won't add to the list, but will encourage you to assemble a set that will:

-test your grading skills
    -present a challenge
    -offer a good value
    -offer opportunities for learning

There are sets out there that offer these aspects, you just need a direction, and perhaps it will be something few have tried (The Suros Collection of overdates and overmintmarks comes to mind). Besides, if you're searching for coins to collect, you still have the desire to collect coins. Since we're also discussing art, could coins be considered stabiles?
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Here's what I did when I got bored. I went to a show and literally went through every dealers inventory until I found a coin that had eye appeal to me. I purchased it, a fairly inexpensive one. Since then I have started reading up and studying the series and have found the research to be fascinating. When I feel comfortable with my knowledge I will move up to more expensive coins, maybe even some slabbed ones. There have been two benefits, first it was totally my decision and therefore can't blame any one else image, and secondly it has given me a different perspective on coin collecting in that I have gotten involved with a series that I had no prior knowledge of and am learning from scratch.
  • Options
    My advice, Alan, would be to take two MS67FB Mercs and see if you can quit, then. image

They are really a great series of a beautiful coin, representing one of our basic freedoms, with coins runnin' the full price spectrum.
    MUCH more interesting than them Roosies! image

and,... the Merc "crowd" here are pretty neat! image

Regards,

Don
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    If no coins are exciting you, forget 'em and go with the signed lithos... especially if you're single. image
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Supercoin raises an IMPORTANT issue: more women in art galleries than in coin shops. cheers, alan mendelson