Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Toned Proof Barber's Anyone?

Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys, and Gals, New around here. Love Barber Proof coins, especially really pretty toned/original material. When you start to realize how many were ruined by scrubbing and cleaning, then the truly perfect, original toned gems become all the more special. Here are a few of my Favs right now:

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That is one heck of a nice group you have!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Thanks TomB! They are just beautiful little works of art to my eyes......

Here is my Registry set....I've got a long way to go.......

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/complete-sets/complete-sets-by-series/barber-series-complete-set-proof-1892-1915/imagegallery/206685

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Cow!

I like your eye. Over the years I have picked up a few really choice MS pieces, but have never jumped too deeply into the proof coinage. Yours are superb.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Welcome to post up some pics of your coins here!!!! Would love to see some of your favs......

I was into coins pretty heavily in the 90's and collected many amazing superb proof type coins, and then sold all of them, and have forever kicked myself.....I had to have them back again, so I got back into coin collecting again, and I've found they are very difficult to locate, having been absorbed by the big players Registry sets...

PS thanks for the good words TomB!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very nice!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Hey Thanks Chris! Are you a Barber collector?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not, but I do like them. I still need to find a nice half for my type set album, they get pretty expensive in higher grades.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

They are down quite a bit off their highs. My recommendation would be a proof example with Cameo contrast, and original color. I am generally sticking with PSCGS/CAC coins right now. The 1898 and 1899 issues seem to come with the most cameo contrast of the entire series. The mint was really producing great proofs back then. Here is my 1898....It is outrageous in person!