Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help requested old collection japan tokens or copies?, plus more

coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
edited March 18, 2020 9:36AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hi. These three items were part of a larger old foreign collection that I purchased. I'm thinking that Japan coins are most likely old reproductions but maybe they are script of some sort? and the square coin I have no idea I thought it was maybe Danish your insights are appreciated. Thanks

BT&C

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing looks genuine to me; however the square piece may be some sort of emergency issue.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the oblong piece is supposed to be a Japanese "Koban". You might search on Koban or Tokugawa coinage of the early 17th to late 19th century.

I don't know the series (and I could be wrong). But I'm concerned when disparate pieces of an old collection have the same color and tone.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your input fellas. Concur there is something off with the 2 Japanese items.

Being aware of the Koban i was wondering if someone has seen similar examples
    I do know that these are not modern repros. Perhaps they are contemporary counterfeits, as this collection was put together more than 75 years ago.

The square token or coin is an enigma. the date appears to be 1645, and for some reason I think this one could also be period. It looks Dutch to me, the square shape is peculiar and makes me want to know what it is! Perhaps Plate money for a dollhouse, haha.

BT&C
  • Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

The square piece is similar in style to a couple of German tokens from that era, but I do not recognize that particular piece

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics