Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you ever look through the shared order submissions?

TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking through the recent orders here that people have chosen to share (through the shared order detail links). I have a few conclusions:

1. Anytime I ever think “all the good stuff has already been graded” then I will look at these. Some amazing coins were just sent in last week.
  2. Seeing the TrueViews of coins similar to those I’ve recently submitted or might submit have given me confidence that I likely have chosen quite well for what I’ve sent in.
  3. A lot more people choose super fast turnaround times than I ever would have guessed.
  4. Related to #1, there must be an awful lot of great coins out there that don’t get talked about here or shown on eBay, etc. that will both ensure the continued stream to PCGS but also will continue to affect/impact the pricing of coins as their supply at various grades increases.

Yes, I know some of these will be crossovers, but we have no idea what the proportion is. In these uncertain times, it’s fun and enjoyable just to see what people have had graded even this week.

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

It occurred to me that people may not know the link to the shared order area:

https://www.pcgs.com/shared-orders/

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

Great link!

That might be a rabbit hole I never return from...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Lol, it's kinda addicting.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know about that.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've clicked through about 15 and haven't found any US coin orders yet. I figured the majority would be.

Collector, occasional seller

I did see a lot of foreign coins as well. Try different sorting options. I saw several ms68 Morgans, a couple ms66 eagles, etc. One submission was all 19th century proofs.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have looked form time to time. Mostly when I have orders in. What I miss is they use to have all the trueviews taken. I could look at those all say.

Some of them have TVs up. I saw a number of submissions with them. Clearly not all, though.

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    I've clicked through about 15 and haven't found any US coin orders yet. I figured the majority would be.

Look at the shipped orders, some Morgans there and some paper money as well.

Ken
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of this material will be various things already in holders, such as reconsideration, reholdering, etc.

There are certainly nice coins still out there though.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of world coins I'm seeing.

@DelawareDoons said:
    A lot of this material will be various things already in holders, such as reconsideration, reholdering, etc.

There are certainly nice coins still out there though.

That’s a good point. I didn’t think of that scenario. It would be interesting to know the proportions of each submission type but that, I’m sure, is highly confidential.

• 50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

This might become a new addiction. I was wondering what the shared order meant. Had an idea but not this. Cool. Thanks for the link. I was totally clueless.

As far as all the world coins I am not surprised at all. I used to be big time into Irish stuff from the 1700-1800’s, which yes was technically British. Anyways I used to get the most amazing proof and proof like stuff for a couple hundred bucks that if was U.S. would have been tens of thousands or more. Stuff with super limited mintage and availability.

I ended up flipping everything at one point and made quite a lot in a short time. Recently I looked into similar pieces and I was shocked at the increases. One particular piece that I had picked up from either NEN or DLRC for like 250 in around 2006 I sold the following year for 800 and I saw it for sale last year for 6K!! It had the most beautiful toning I had ever seen on on a coin in my life. Neon blues that were blinding.

Point is there’s AMAZING value in world coins. Especially in emerging market countries. Once wealth increases in those places many of its people will come looking for THEIR coins and they will pay. I can only imagine what acquiring a fine Chinese collection 40-50 years ago would be worth now. Yikes.

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope never bother.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had not. Strangely addicting. For what it's worth, submissions beginning with 6 seem to yield US coins (most of the time), submissions beginning with 8 seem to yield Chinese coins (all of the time for the ones I tried). Thanks for sharing.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to before they started flooding shared orders page with world and modern coins and there is no way to filter those out. That killed that nice page for me. And I don't know who would really be interested in a common modern world coin getting another 70 grade. Every grading service should have a shared orders page and you should be able to make it old coin numismatic friendly.

I kind of figured out that you can tell by the order ID if it is world or not. Also by the date submitted. The longer term ones that have been there for a long time seem to always be world when I look. I do agree, though, that it would be nice if you could limit the scope to some extent.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool - I just saw an order on page 7 with IHC's & LWC's One with questionable color, yikes!

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you go to page 1 all of them but one are received in April. That's 4 months. Looks like all of them are China coins. I am wondering are those submissions came from China or from USA? US coin grade fast.

I found a lot of those orders are definitely on a slower submission. Once you page through a few you’ll find ones where the turnaround is a lot faster.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you shared you order but later changed back to not share it if you find out the grade is not good? Any one knows the answer?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file