Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Players approve new CBA- UPDATE

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2020 2:14PM in Sports Talk

Update: NFL officially expands playoffs to 14 teams in 2020. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107961/article/owners-approve-expanding-postseason-to-14-teams

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

-includes a 17-game season

-expand the playoffs to an extra team in each conference

-reducing the preseason to three games

-current players will see an increased share in the revenue and former players will get more benefits from the league

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-news-players-vote-to-approve-new-cba-that-includes-17-game-season-expanded-playoffs/

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's good to see the former players get more benefits. It looks like the Redskin's stadium roaches still aren't satisfied with their treatment from the NFL....

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was the players chance to get a good deal, and as far as i know they did not get one.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    This was the players chance to get a good deal, and as far as i know they did not get one.

The players are already rich and just got richer. Sorry, but i don't see where this isn't a good deal for the players.

I mean this isn't the 1960's anymore when players needed to get jobs in the off season to support themselves. Now all they need to do in the off season is get even richer from endorsements, commercials, and autograph shows.

That's all well and good. They are warriors and deserve the money. But any of them who don't like the deal can instead get a job in their college major such as gymnastics instructor and make whatever money that pays.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed with Steve. The thing that bothers me is that 17th game, and expanded playoffs. The single season records and playoff records will now be disrupted by these extra games. Bad enough for the older guys records when it went from 14 to 16 games, other than greed I dont see why more games needed to be added. As far as these contracts go it’s the same as any union, the guys with time in are patient and will vote down crappy contracts but the younger hungry guys will vote yes because they do t want to miss their chance on the money with labor issues. Either way we do t have to worry about a strike so that’s a good thing for us anyways.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    The players are already rich and just got richer. Sorry, but i don't see where this isn't a good deal for the players.

I mean this isn't the 1960's anymore when players needed to get jobs in the off season to support themselves. Now all they need to do in the off season is get even richer from endorsements, commercials, and autograph shows.

That's all well and good. They are warriors and deserve the money. But any of them who don't like the deal can instead get a job in their college major such as gymnastics instructor and make whatever money that pays.

That's the entirely wrong way to look at it. The owners are billionaires and their increase in wealth continues to wildly outpace any gains by the players. Ownership of an NFL franchise is an absolutely zero-risk proposition. Your labor costs are entirely covered by the TV contract before you sell a single ticket. Your franchise is guaranteed to increase in value. And so on. The players, meanwhile, literally risk their well-being every single snap. They should be taking home the lion's share of income instead of less than half.

Yes, the players get a boost in this contract but it's nowhere near what they should be getting. No guaranteed contracts, longer season, terrible free agency, still have franchising, still have a salary cap, still get too low a percentage of revenue, etc.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Millionaires not making enough from billionaires. Is that really something for anyone to be concerned about?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

Totally agree! They are way overpaid now! Come on!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

That's the entirely wrong way to look at it. The owners are billionaires and their increase in wealth continues to wildly outpace any gains by the players. Ownership of an NFL franchise is an absolutely zero-risk proposition. Your labor costs are entirely covered by the TV contract before you sell a single ticket. Your franchise is guaranteed to increase in value. And so on. The players, meanwhile, literally risk their well-being every single snap. They should be taking home the lion's share of income instead of less than half.

Yes, the players get a boost in this contract but it's nowhere near what they should be getting. No guaranteed contracts, longer season, terrible free agency, still have franchising, still have a salary cap, still get too low a percentage of revenue, etc.

I say cut their pay and cut the cost of tickets! It's a vicious circle. The players get more money so the tickets go up...repeat.....

It's just crazy players getting a million dollars a game and there are people homeless in this country!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I certainly have zero interest in someone whining about making $25 million instead of $20 million. Heck, If you want to pay me $15 million, I'll get out there and play 25 games blindfolded, and if you throw in $5 million more, I'll tie one hand behind my back . It's ridiculous.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

The players are free to leave and do whatever they wish. Check out the XFL and see how much they pay for similar services. Or just diss our flag and then Nike will hire them as spokesmen and feature then in ads.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

I say cut their pay and cut the cost of tickets! It's a vicious circle. The players get more money so the tickets go up...repeat.....

It's just crazy players getting a million dollars a game and there are people homeless in this country!

Ya visit the concession stand these days at the stadium and need to take out a mortgage to pay for the food. 😕

• Options
    edited March 16, 2020 4:27PM

@perkdog said:

80% of the league makes league minimum. In 2019, there were 14 players making $1m a game. That's less than 1% of the league.

As to your other point, NFL teams could cut the prices of tickets AND concessions and still make a gigantic profit. Player salaries are 100% covered by the TV contract.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I certainly have zero interest in someone whining about making $25 million instead of $20 million. Heck, If you want to pay me $15 million, I'll get out there and play 25 games blindfolded, and if you throw in $5 million more, I'll tie one hand behind my back . It's ridiculous.

Exactly one player in the NFL makes $25m - Kirk Cousins.

As I mentioned above, only 14 guys are making $1m a game.

Why the vitriol for the players, the ones actually doing the work, and not the owners? The players are providing a gigantic chunk of value, hence the billions of dollars in TV contracts.

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I was shocked to learn that the NFLPA agreed to an additional regular season game.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:

Why the vitriol for the players, the ones actually doing the work, and not the owners? The players are providing a gigantic chunk of value, hence the billions of dollars in TV contracts.

Well then why don't you unite the players together and form your own league? Your first order could be to grant yourself a ten million dollar annual salary.

Maybe send stevek a couple of season tickets for giving you the idea.

😉

• Options

The players should have gotten lifetime health insurance for themselves and all prior and future NFL players.

The players are the product that makes the owners richer.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

According to this; https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/highest-paid-nfl-players-who-has-the-top-salary-in-2020/50/ 13 players are making 20 million a year and 7 make 25 million or more. Russell Wilson makes 53 million.

As was mentioned a vast majority of players are making the league minimum of $450,000.00. That number rises to $610,000 in 2020 if the new deal is signed, and the minimum salary for players with less than one year of experience rises incrementally throughout the deal, reaching $1.065 million in 2030.

The retired players should get some help with pensions and health care. I didn't see anything about that.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

According to this; https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/highest-paid-nfl-players-who-has-the-top-salary-in-2020/50/ 13 players are making 20 million a year and 7 make 25 million or more. Russell Wilson makes 53 million.

As was mentioned a vast majority of players are making the league minimum of $450,000.00. That number rises to $610,000 in 2020 if the new deal is signed, and the minimum salary for players with less than one year of experience rises incrementally throughout the deal, reaching $1.065 million in 2030.

The retired players should get some help with pensions and health care. I didn't see anything about that.

free cremation provided by the league as long as you agree not to be tested for CTE ,

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

I looked at 2019 numbers.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 1:26PM

@stevek said:

Well then why don't you unite the players together and form your own league? Your first order could be to grant yourself a ten million dollar annual salary.

You didn't answer my question.

Why the vitriol for the players? Why aren't you yelling about Roger Goodell's salary - he made more in 2019 than any player. Four years ago, he made $31.7m and it certainly hasn't gone down since.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

Why the vitriol for the players? Why aren't you yelling about Roger Goodell's salary - he made more in 2019 than any player. Four years ago, he made $31.7m and it certainly hasn't gone down since.

No vitriol, I just couldn't care less about the players or owners. I'll spend my concern on all the soon to be unemployed restaurant, hotel, travel, etc. workers, many of whom don't make NFL annual minimum in a decade.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

It is you who seemed to display vitriol towards the owners. They spent their time, money and brains creating an organization called the NFL, and they and their families became rich over it. You imply as though what they did was easy as pie.

The players benefited from the NFL by being well paid employees. A good number making millions of dollars over their careers. And dopes such as Lebron James for the NBA, angrily states that he's some sort of slave to the owners.

i'm a little bit sick and tired of the lack of appreciation that some players have for the professional league who they play for, and the lack of respect they have for our flag and country for that matter. Fortunately, the number of these type of players seems to be abating.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 8:57PM

The vast majority of the owners in the NFL had nothing to do with creating the league or building it.

I hold no animus toward the owners. There are billions of dollars coming into the sports leagues. I simply would prefer that most of that money go to the guys actually risking something - the players. Owners risk basically nothing.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    The vast majority of the owners in the NFL had nothing to do with creating the league or building it.

I hold no animus toward the owners. There are billions of dollars coming into the sports leagues. I simply would prefer that most of that money go to the guys actually risking something - the players. Owners risk basically nothing.

Owners of any business are constantly building it in various ways. And they are constantly creating ideas in the form of new products, pricing strategies, and a variety of problem solving.

There is always risk involved in that even though you don't seem to recognize it. Their risk is certainly not "basically nothing" as you stated.

• Options

@Tabe said:

Well said sir.

Here in Minnesota the taxpayers have built new stadiums for baseball, football, hockey and now soccer. If the Timberwolves were any good they would be getting a new arena too.

To be fair part of the costs were paid for by the owners, but when a new building goes up their investments skyrocket.

At the new half a billion dollar football shrine, you pay $11.00 for a bottle of water.

Yet the guys who crippled themselves for next to nothing suffer while the owners and new players suck up all the money.

Sad.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

Well said sir.

Here in Minnesota the taxpayers have built new stadiums for baseball, football, hockey and now soccer. If the Timberwolves were any good they would be getting a new arena too.

To be fair part of the costs were paid for by the owners, but when a new building goes up their investments skyrocket.

At the new half a billion dollar football shrine, you pay $11.00 for a bottle of water.

Yet the guys who crippled themselves for next to nothing suffer while the owners and new players suck up all the money.

Sad.

If it was so easy and a license to print money, then almost every wealthy person would want to do it.

The fact is that there is a ton of work and a lot of headaches involved with operating an NFL team. And that includes 53 prima donna employees who are pampered with big money and constant adulation.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason that it's not so easy for just any wealthy person to do it is that the leagues are run like a cartel, and wield a very powerful tool with the antitrust exemption laws. Remove those barriers and allow anyone that wants to own a team have one, then perhaps you could argue that the surviving owners actually have to put some work in to keep their investment viable.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    The reason that it's not so easy for just any wealthy person to do it is that the leagues are run like a cartel, and wield a very powerful tool with the antitrust exemption laws. Remove those barriers and allow anyone that wants to own a team have one, then perhaps you could argue that the surviving owners actually have to put some work in to keep their investment viable.

That's a valid point.

Now what about all those Nike sweat shops that kneeler spokesman Colin Kaepernick never mentions, and the tough working conditions there, and the employees who do the work to make Nike shoes. Should they be getting "most of the money" as some here say about NFL players?

• Options

@stevek said:

Now what about all those Nike sweat shops that kneeler spokesman Colin Kaepernick never mentions, and the tough working conditions there, and the employees who do the work to make Nike shoes. Should they be getting "most of the money" as some here say about NFL players?

Yes. Kaepernick's support - and the NFL's support in general - of Nike is disgusting. Their labor conditions and employee pay are offensive.

• Options

@stevek said:

There is always risk involved in that even though you don't seem to recognize it. Their risk is certainly not "basically nothing" as you stated.

What risk? Their entire labor costs are covered before a single ticket is sold or game is played. Their investment is guaranteed to increase in value. There is a long line of buyers anytime they want to get out.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

Yes. Kaepernick's support - and the NFL's support in general - of Nike is disgusting. Their labor conditions and employee pay are offensive.

Well, we fully agree on something.

To wrap up my view on this. All i'm saying is that society setup laws and rules for businesses, the NFL follows it, and a number of them became billionaires. Why begrudge that? They got rich and have been enriching their employees along with it. Not only are the players rich, their front office staff, marketing team, and a number of other employees make pretty good money as well.

I used to work as an outside sales rep for a Fortune 500 business machines manufacturer. Drove around 200 miles per day making sales calls, lugging around heavy printing equipment for demos, taking abuse from customers for various reasons, and sweating out each month trying to make my quota or i'd get chitcanned. Yes, that's not banging my body into another human being, but whatever it was, I never complained about the corporate CEO making a yell of a lot more money than me. And i had a company car, received a decent paycheck, and even at times some nice commission checks. I took the job under that premise and that was that. NFL players also work under a premise - they agree to beat up their bodies in return for a lot of money. By the way, there are a lot more dangerous jobs out there than playing in the NFL, and those jobs don't pay nearly as much. NFL players should shaddap and be very thankful that thru luck of the DNA they were fortunate enough to be born with a body that could catch passes, block, etc, on a professional level.

• Options

@uncle tomK said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

Well said sir.

Sad.

If it was so easy and a license to print money, then almost every wealthy person would want to do it.

The fact is that there is a ton of work and a lot of headaches involved with operating an NFL team. And that includes 53 prima donna employees who are pampered with big money and constant adulation.

lets hold a candlelight vigil for owners or maybe start go fundme pages?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@uncle tomK said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

Well said sir.

Sad.

No but i'll take one. If a gofundme page is started for stevek's quest of owning a 52 Mantle, i would be most appreciative, preferably funding enough for a PSA 6 or better please.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

What risk? Their entire labor costs are covered before a single ticket is sold or game is played. Their investment is guaranteed to increase in value. There is a long line of buyers anytime they want to get out.

There's always risk in business, even unforeseen risk such as what's happening now with the corona virus shutting down sporting events and a lot else.

• Options

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@uncle tomK said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

Well said sir.

Sad.

No but i'll take one. If a gofundme page is started for stevek's quest of owning a 52 Mantle, i would be most appreciative, preferably funding enough for a PSA 6 or better please.

Now _you _sound like an owner!

Stop drinking the koolaid. Owning a sports franchise in this day and age, is as close to a guaranteed profit as it gets.

What's the percentage of the mark up on a bottle of water that they sell for $10.00? Less than the guy who bought up all the hand sanitizer, heck, if he was like an NFL owner, he would have gotten someone to pay for part of it when he bought it. Ever notice there's no water fountains at the stadium?

Calvin Griffith was the last owner who made a living on a sports team (Minnesota Twins) the new owners are in it as a hobby. Gee, too bad if it gives them an occasional headache. They can afford to get a massage ;-) if they get too stressed out.

I choose not to subsidize their hobby. Rarely go to games, (less than 1 a year) I don't drink beer or drive a pick-up. Cancelled pay TV a long time ago.

I just don't feel sorry for rich people. Certainly not the owners, many of the players are wealthy too. I do feel bad for the retired players without much of a (or any) pension, some of whom are in pain on a daily basis.

Not excited about another regular season game and more teams making the playoffs.

Have a nice day and don't buy all the toilet paper!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@uncle tomK said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

Well said sir.

Sad.

Stop drinking the koolaid. Owning a sports franchise in this day and age, is as close to a guaranteed profit as it gets.

What's the percentage of the mark up on a bottle of water that they sell for $10.00? Less than the guy who bought up all the hand sanitizer, heck, if he was like an NFL owner, he would have gotten someone to pay for part of it when he bought it. Ever notice there's no water fountains at the stadium?

Calvin Griffith was the last owner who made a living on a sports team (Minnesota Twins) the new owners are in it as a hobby. Gee, too bad if it gives them an occasional headache. They can afford to get a massage ;-) if they get too stressed out.

I choose not to subsidize their hobby. Rarely go to games, (less than 1 a year) I don't drink beer or drive a pick-up. Cancelled pay TV a long time ago.

I just don't feel sorry for rich people. Certainly not the owners, many of the players are wealthy too. I do feel bad for the retired players without much of a (or any) pension, some of whom are in pain on a daily basis.

Not excited about another regular season game and more teams making the playoffs.

steve is that one brown nose guy at every job that runs crying to the big boss about anyone that ducks out early.

you look wonderful this morning sir! did you lose a few pounds? thats a nice tie your honor , what can I get for you your majesty ? your wish is my command!

• Options

@stevek said:
    I never complained about the corporate CEO making a yell of a lot more money than me.

You seem to be complaining about the players and guys like Kaepernick though and seem resentful of the money they make. Perhaps I'm wrong on that but that's what it seems like.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@uncle tomK said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

Well said sir.

Sad.

steve is that one brown nose guy at every job that runs crying to the big boss about anyone that ducks out early.

you look wonderful this morning sir! did you lose a few pounds? thats a nice tie your honor , what can I get for you your majesty ? your wish is my command!

I'm afraid not little snowflake.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:
    I never complained about the corporate CEO making a yell of a lot more money than me.

You seem to be complaining about the players and guys like Kaepernick though and seem resentful of the money they make. Perhaps I'm wrong on that but that's what it seems like.

I couldn't care less what they make. It's the fact that many of them don't seem to appreciate it, is what bugs me. It's a similar mentality as movie and music stars, and some of them bug me as well.

Oh well, carry on.....

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Eric Reid says the NFL and NFLPA changed the CBA language after the vote:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28972490/eric-reid-calls-probe-revote-post-ballot-changes-cba

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28972490/eric-reid-calls-probe-revote-post-ballot-changes-cba

Yeah, it seems to reduce the benefits of retired and disabled players.

• Options

@Parkerplenty123 said:

@Tabe said:

Yeah, it seems to reduce the benefits of retired and disabled players.

If true, that wouldn't surprise me. Sad.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt very much we will see NFL this season. I hope I’m wrong

• Options
    edited April 3, 2020 9:35AM

@perkdog said:

the cool thing about all this is we are being reminded of what is important and what isn't. Turns out health of friends family and coworkers is higher up on my list than seeing millionaires being oppressed by billionaires B)

i mean before this I never really thought about it

if the owners tried to sneak through a change during this pandemic that screws retired players over that says a lot about the kind of garbage people they are

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

the cool thing about all this is we are being reminded of what is important and what isn't. Turns out health of friends family and coworkers is higher up on my list than seeing millionaires being oppressed by billionaires B)

i mean before this I never really thought about it

if the owners tried to sneak through a change during this pandemic that screws retired players over that says a lot about the kind of garbage people they are

What percentage of wealthy people actually have a conscience?