Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Is the idea (and implimentation) of the Registry Long Lasting?

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
Will the Registry last in the long run? Or, will it sort of crash and burn somewhere along the way?
There have been so many changes in the past two years- some good. Some, not so good.

Do you see the Registry fullfilling your collecting goals in five years? Ten? Or, once the novelty kind of wears off (and- after we've exhausted every subject regarding it!) will it fade away? Always to be here- in one format or another- but never as popular as it is now?

peacockcoins

Comments

• WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. I dont see it lasting. If the Registry crashes and burns, so does PCGS. Looking at the threads over the last few weeks.. PCGS is not making any friends. And NGC is getting more airplay.

So.. By the coin not the holder!!
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Personally, I just want to assemble as many sets as I can and just turn around and sell them ... Ooops, wait a minute, I can't do that ... "NO REGISTRY SET SALES FOR YOU" ...
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Braddick - Fullfilling my goals in 5 years? Listen, at my age, I would be happy to be alive in 5 years. Regards Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    The Registry for me is a progress marker -- how many coins do I have left to buy before I have to rob a bank and get a nice AU coin from 1796 image

The real appeal here is the fellow collectors that I have met.
    Keith ™

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat: Great to see you back in high gear posting super thought-provoking threads. Now, I can cool it for a while image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • To answer a question with a question, how many frequent posters have you not seen recently?

ritchie
    What will kill a thread faster than a reply from Ritchie?
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Keith - the registry is a method of keeping track of what I have and what I need to complete a set. The set that I'm currently working on, Mercury dimes, will never be in the same class as the top sets, but it's fun to watch my set and others' grow, and to chat with other collectors on these Boards. The registry should last as long as PCGS exists, or as long as they want to keep it. There will always be new collectors that try participating; some will stay, while others lose their enthusiasm. Those that stay could easily stick with it for 5 or 10 years. Once a set is finished, there are new frontiers to conquer. How many of the folks here that consider themselves to be serious collectors think they'll ever stop buying and selling coins?

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • IM starting my own grading company in case they do crash and burn, I have the name all picked out that will fit in line with, PCGS, NGC, ICG, etc, mine will be, "YPTGYLYDI". It stands for:

"You pick the grade you like you derseve it".

Now yes we need to have rules and regulations, I will have no graders as whats the point? Half the time you dont like the one you get anyway, so now you can pick your own and you will never be disappointed with it, the other advantage is you can have the best set on the market. Why? because you derserve it. I know this will catch on with fellow collectors because I will have no fees. Whats the point you dont like to pay them anyway. My therory is to give the best servcice, so you can have the best grade. After all isnt that why a coin is slabbed anyway? For a grade? why settle?

The best part of this is when you see a coin that has been slabbed by us you will never be unhappy, you just pick another grade. The only rule when picking a grade is you must use the same formula that the big boys use.

That is better know as the "SWAG System",

So next time you grade those beautys remember how other services do it....

THE SWAG SYSTEM....... Stupid Wild Ass Guess.......

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Right now the Registry is popular because it combines both our desire to collect coins and compete. Once the top spots are filled with expensive high quality sets, the average collector will no longer feel that they can compete and the fad will end.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • I'm not so sure the Registry is a fad. I've been interested in it for 5 years now and it has grown every year. My guess is that over the next several years there will be many new collectors, some of whom will like to play in the Registry.

• TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    The registry in my opinion is really for the best sets. To see what the best look like. Ultimately, I think a lot of the popular appeal will drop off and the focus will return to the really superior sets. Some of the registry is just plain marketing. Look at all the American Eagle year sets that just got listed. Even if you put together a year set of MS70s, is that really a significant numismatic accomplishment? It seems one could argue that all these are being listed just to help dealers promote modern bullion.

Greg
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry competition and listing is much more an outgrowth of the computer than
    of the grading services. We certainly owe them a debt of gratitude for them, but
    the registries will stay around in one form or another for as long as people collect
    coins. The registries are a great idea.
    Tempus fugit.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    yes Pat thank you, mitch needed a rest image

Ive lost some interest, and decided to pull all sets except my proof qtrs and I will start an sms set w/matts ms70. Its not really lost interest Pat, its that its real hard to work that many sets (10) and most are only 1/3rd done. I will also leave my SBA even though its not a real high grade set...I may even ditch the sms idea if I can find a source for high grade SBA's proof70 dcam image (cheap)

like that will happen. I cant wait for NY ana...are any of the west coast peoples comming?????

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The competitive drive is at the core of human nature. For better or for worse, the registry will always exist.

Russ, NCNE
  • I think it will last as long as PCGS has the resources to keep it going. I like putting my coins on it even if I only have 1 or 2 in a set so that I can get online at work and if I find something on Ebay and I'm not sure if I already own one I don't duplicate my coins. Also it's good to be able to access a list if some catastrophe happens and everything is lost or stolen or destroyed.(Hurricane, tornado etc.)

<< <i>Earth----an Alien child's school science project! >>

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik