Home Precious Metals
Options

Federal Reserve cuts rates to zero and launches massive $700 billion quantitative easing program

WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Wow.

Comments

• Options
    DscoinDscoin Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭

And I am guessing the sell off will continue..

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2020 3:03PM

Holy crap Batman! Who expected that deep of a cut?! Go buy pink houses!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

only $700 billion?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:
    Truly the Fed just doesn’t get it. This is not fundamentally a financial problem and there are not many financial tools available to fix it. Sure, the Fed should be standing by with liquidity, but that’s about all they should be doing. If people are social distancing, QE is not going to fill the malls and restaurants and cruise ships...

x1000

Would be better to just transfer into that $$$ into each of our bank accounts so when this does pass we can spend it. BTW---that, along with the 1.5 trillion they announced on Thursday, is about $25k for a family of 4.

Politics can only be stronger than academics for so long.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

Federal Reserve Actions to Support the Flow of Credit to Households and Businesses

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20200315b.htm

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Coordinated Central Bank Action to Enhance the Provision of U.S. Dollar Liquidity

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20200315c.htm

• Options
  • Options

despite the actions stock futures are limit down

(limit down would be a good band name)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2020 4:42PM

Who woulda guessed the thriving economy was built on sand. LOL.

Good thing something more serious didn't occur.

Probably a good time for federal regulators to start doing some regulating.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fed = private banking cartel.

QE = debt created by private banking cartel to acquire assets at no cost to them.

Loan sharking at the highest level - debt payments to the banking cartel, paid by working people & companies that actually had to work for it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Futures markets down 5% with all of this intervention...

My employer and my wifes employer (large insurance/financial services companies) are having us work from home until further notice.

Must be scary for people in the service industry and other professions where they have to interact with the public. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly because this is actually hurting people who just want to go to work and get their paycheck...

• Options
    edited March 15, 2020 6:46PM

Futures hit "limit down," frozen until 4 a.m. premarket trading. Funny how they don't have a limit up when it comes to stocks.

Will the VIX explode even higher?

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2020 7:28PM

@derryb said:
    Futures hit "limit down," frozen until 4 a.m. premarket trading. Funny how they don't have a limit up when it comes to stocks.

They do....and stocks actually were limit up on Friday morning.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dow-futures-soared-5-friday-and-triggered-limit-up-trading-rulesheres-how-that-works-2020-03-13

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

What people haven't talked about is that they cut "thousands of bank reserve rates to 0%. Is that correct or is that just CNBC being stupid?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/federal-reserve-cuts-rates-to-zero-and-launches-massive-700-billion-quantitative-easing-program.html

"The Fed also cut reserve requirements for thousands of banks to zero."

Uhhhhh..wtf????????????

• Options

The dividend cuts should start coming in the next week or so. XOM can’t afford a 10% div, F at 12% is unsustainable.

• Options

The Hotel Stock Market: You can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave.

The metals are getting murdered as well, but I'll tell you one thing: this is exactly the reason for holding physical metals and having a decent cash reserve.

Be careful out there. Tread lightly and think before you jump.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

FED finally broke the market.

• Options

Down -2,711 points.

What's the next move, I wonder?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Federal banking agencies encourage banks to use Federal Reserve discount window

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/bcreg20200316a.htm

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is how fiat money is managed.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said "Would be better to just transfer into that $$$ into each of our bank accounts so when this does pass we can spend it. BTW---that, along with the 1.5 trillion they announced on Thursday, is about $25k for a family of 4."

Agree, that is the fundamental point. In fact, a short term somewhat enhanced unemployment program coupled with Fed liquidity is all that is needed to keep things reasonably stable until the virus is under control.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2020 5:36PM

$25K to be used only to pay down debt would be better for the long term. Otherwise, like a two week supply of TP, it's just a band aid.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today’s WSJ op-ed piece “financing an economic slowdown” is quite good.

One quote: “The Fed is de­ploy­ing its tools from 2008, but this isn’t a bank sol­vency panic—at least not yet. This is a liq­uid­ity panic over how huge chunks of the U.S. econ­omy will stay afloat while Amer­i­can com­merce es­sen­tially stops.”

In any case, spending a bit of money now would be better than worrying about the national debt. The Fed’s ill suited interventions, however, make no sense at all.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2020 6:11PM

When will we learn to quit depending on the FED to fix problems created by the FED?

Maybe letting it blow up is the best fix.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    When will we learn to quit depending on the FED to fix problems created by the FED?

Maybe letting it blow up is the best fix.

I agree. As one example look at Boeing. Since 2013 they rewarded executives and shareholders with $100B in share buybacks, while borrowing to do so. Now they're looking for corporate welfare.

• Options

The Fed is not your friend. Pretty simple.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dead cat bounce tomorrow Tue..

Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another couple weeks of losses it won't matter, my 401k will be gone then what?
    The only stock that's up that I'm aware of is CLX.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

Federal Reserve Board announces establishment of a Commercial Paper Funding Facility (CPFF) to support the flow of credit to households and businesses

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20200317a.htm

• Options

Gold is starting to run, now.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Why would anyone VOLUNTARILY put their own money into a retirement account that they have NO control over? If one does not have the power to make the individual trades, one should at least have two options of moving the money around and one of those options should be out of the stock market. Otherwise the account is a sitting duck.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2020 9:52AM

DJIA up ~1100 during the white house conference today where we heard the next trillion dollar action outlined from the fed...

and watching it drop to 500+

• Options

@derryb said:
    Why would anyone VOLUNTARILY put their own money into a retirement account that they have NO control over? If one does not have the power to make the individual trades, one should at least have two options of moving the money around and one of those options should be out of the stock market. Otherwise the account is a sitting duck.

The majority of retirement accounts have that ability, along with the ability to roll money into a “self-managed” account which is effectively a brokerage account within a 401k plan. You can also roll money over to another platform or brokerage if you don’t like the GUI.

ERISA rules are in place to prevent co-mingling of retirement funds with companies general accounts, so there really shouldn’t be an issue with any of that.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 12:19PM

In the case of such accounts then it's their own fault if their retirement account took a big hit in the downturn. Buy and hold is one thing. Buy and close your eyes is another.

• Options

Federal Reserve Board announces establishment of a Primary Dealer Credit Facility (PDCF) to support the credit needs of households and businesses

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20200317b.htm

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    In the case of such accounts then it's their own fault if their retirement account took a big hit in the downturn. Buy and hold is one thing. Buy and close your eyes is another.

Yea... that only works with the so called precious metals complex...

keceph `anah
  • Options

Federal Reserve Board announces establishment of a Primary Dealer Credit Facility (PDCF) to support the credit needs of households and businesses

Get enough people dependent upon your debt and you can get them all to think and vote the way you want.

The Fed is not your friend.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2020 12:42AM

@jmski52 said:

The Fed is not your friend.

FED trying real hard to be gold's friend. Gold will wake up and realize this.

• Options

Federal Reserve Board broadens program of support for the flow of credit to households and businesses by establishing a Money Market Mutual Fund Liquidity Facility (MMLF)

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20200318a.htm

• Options

Airlines spent billions of their cash on stock buybacks, now they want a bailout

Stock buybacks resulted in massive management bonuses

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2020 1:44AM

Wonder how many Trump haters will send back their stimulus checks?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

Wonder how many will want bigger checks?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if will see another stimulus as well

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    I wonder if will see another stimulus as well

There are going to be a lot of people unemployed, particularly in the service industry. They and the businesses that employ them are going to be in dire straits, hopefully only temporary. Some of those smaller business will likely not recover. Hopefully we can help them get back on their feet. Bailing out faultless taxpaying victims is not the same as was bailing out greedy, careless banks.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

How fortunate all these entities don't have to exist on a budget like the average American has to.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    Wonder how many Trump haters will send back their stimulus checks?

When one is drowning one does not care who throws the life preserver.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

I urge you to tune in to Greg Mannarino on youtube for his updates. We are pretty much screwed.

I knew it would happen.
This discussion has been closed.