Home Q & A Forum

Getting the black crud off

BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

It appears that what lies under the black material is a brown coin.

Can this be conserved or this there a way I might be able to remove

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is already corroded in a few places. It has some "charm" just as it is. You can soak it in a few different things that the other members can recommend like olive oil or some commercial products. There are a few proprietary things that you may be able to find on the Internet but I don't think some of them are published anywhere. Not the nice smooth brown surface that shows. NO SCRUBBING whatever you do. I have an idea that a few of the grading services would not wish to conserve your coin and I don't think it would be worth the fee.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're probably better off leaving it the way it is.

• If you actually get that black stuff off, the coin will probably look weird because the metal that is exposed vs the metal covered will likely be two different tones. But olive or mineral oil soak could prevent further problems. I've been scolded for doing stupid things on here, so I learned from my mistakes.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you didn't pay a lot for this coin and like to experiment, I suggest soak it in OTC hydrogen peroxide for 1-2 days. H2O2 does remove organic grime from the surface of copper, bronze and brass coins. No scrubbing for sure. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52