Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 topps mantle help

bb141516bb141516 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a 1952 topps mantle from a local seller. I am needing help on how to spot a reproduction. I will go see this card in person in a few days but these are the pics I have. I figure it will get a psa authentic?

Comments

• Options

I uploaded the pics but I don’t see them. Can anyone else ?

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2020 11:12PM

As Vagabond stated, the card is artificially worn. Something I notice on a lot of reprints is that the ink of the font sort of bleeds into the surrounding background. On the real deal, the color will be crisp and have stark contrast against the background. Notice how the red ink on the back of the card bleeds into the surrounding gray? 100% fake.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice how all four corners seem very similarly worn? This is almost certainly artificially done. Stay away from This example

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Someone call Dick Towle

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D Come on, man. Think about what it would take to get those corners to be THAT worn away, but the edges of the card all around are sharp? Think.

Andy

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<< from a local seller >>>

Lemme guess...Craigslist?

I completely agree with all the comments.

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

What was the seller asking for this piece of history?

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

Thanks for the comments I did not buy the card. It was a local seller posting on a swap site that the card was handed down to him. I offered $500 but after reading the comments did not buy it.