Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1898 Spanish American War Peace Jubilee Medals

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2020 9:06AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm a big fan of Peace Jubilee medals but they can be rare to come by.

Here's one of mine. The circle on top seems to indicate it was meant to be holed for suspension but I haven't seen another one, holed or unholed.

Anyone have any info on this piece? Will PCGS slab this?

Please post your Peace Jubilee medals here if you have them!

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen that medal before. I suspect it may have been the property of the owner of the firm that minted it at one time, thus no hole as the others were made into badges for a commercial order.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the Google says people held a huge city party celebrating the end of the war. Philadelphia and other major cities partied. Is this piece bronze? I see them in white metal also. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited March 14, 2020 6:58PM

@Namvet69 said:
    So the Google says people held a huge city party celebrating the end of the war. Philadelphia and other major cities partied.

I imagine it would have been a great time. I want to dig up some photos!

Is this piece bronze?

I'm not sure but it’s possible. How would one tell for sure?

I see them in white metal also. Peace Roy

Have you seen this particular design? If so, it would be great to know and I'd love to see a pic.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

So white metal looks silver or grey. Yours looks brownish so I'm thinking bronze or brass. NGC #2429267-015 to view a 32mm WM example with a different rev. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited March 14, 2020 11:33PM

@Namvet69 said:
    So white metal looks silver or grey. Yours looks brownish so I'm thinking bronze or brass. NGC #2429267-015 to view a 32mm WM example with a different rev. Peace Roy

I would think bronze before brass. It doesn't have a brassy look to it in hand and I have a lot of brass pieces.

Thanks for the NGC number! Here's the NGC piece. The obverse is similar but clearly different in a few areas:

1. the words are different (this says PHILADELPHIA)
    2. the rays around the wreath are different
    3. both flags overlap with the ground more on the white metal piece than the bronze piece
    4. The right flag wraps around the pole more on the white metal piece, below the knee, while it is above the knee on the bronze piece.

Looks like it could be the same die sinker with similar but different dies.

Also, at 32mm, this would qualify as a So-Called Half Dollar.

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2429267-015/61/

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philadelphia had one of the largest celebrations and probably had the most commemorative tokens, medals & badges issued. There are a couple Admiral Dewey pieces, at least a couple small 16-17mm gilt brass pieces - one with an angel & trumpet & one with a Span-Am soldier -- plus several ribbon badges of various types. There are several others from Chicago as well as the one in the OP.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2020 7:42AM

@tokenpro said:
    Philadelphia had one of the largest celebrations and probably had the most commemorative tokens, medals & badges issued. There are a couple Admiral Dewey pieces, at least a couple small 16-17mm gilt brass pieces - one with an angel & trumpet & one with a Span-Am soldier -- plus several ribbon badges of various types. There are several others from Chicago as well as the one in the OP.

That’s an awesome medal. Thanks for posting it! What’s the first word on the reverse? It looks like it could be “Eagle”.

I don’t see very many photos of people wearing these medals but I can imagine it. I wonder how people purchased these for the events. For example did the vendors bring these to sell at the event or did people go to shops to buy these?

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the minor 1898 Philadelphia Peace Jubilee medals, but I have only ever seen it issued in White Metal.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file