Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cleaned, Whizzed, Buffed, show me your problem coins!

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

The learning curve for new collectors can be expensive, so show us a problem coin that harms the value and explain if you can the amount lost due to the problem...
bob :)
Here is a very harshly cleaned Morgan dollar, some will say it may even be Whizzed . Whizzing is usually done with a mechanical rotating wheel, like a dremel tool. 1888-o
This was a $40 coin and is now a $14 coin.

Here is a damaged coin: This dollar has rim damage and won't straight grade. 1878cc was $120 now $60?

Here is a polished example, note the "halos" around the stars. 1882-s, $37 now $14

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think the 1878 $1 would straight grade without the rim damage? That big scratch, just left of Liberty's face, looks quite serious.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Excellent post...This will help for the newer viewers,and the uninformed.
    Thanks

Rob
  • Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    Do you think the 1878 $1 would straight grade without the rim damage? That big scratch, just left of Liberty's face, looks quite serious.

I didn't see that! Yep, that scratch looks intentional and likely would hold it back...lol

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

This bust half was cleaned (dipped) at one time recently, has acquired some secondary rim tone since but the rim bruise at 1o'clock makes it ungradable.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Polished to hide scratches: $14 value now.

• Options

Certainly impaired. Scratched and polished. Value 25¢ now.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purchased in an old PCI problem holder "whizzed" (red holder).

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bearded Goddess

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a coin I used to own. Got it stolen as well.

Ken
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great candidates for the melting pot.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up for under melt. It was six dollars.

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Rob41281 said:
    Wheel mark

toning hiding it? I don't see the wheel mark, can you point it out?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Work of a wire wheel.

• Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@Rob41281 said:
    Wheel mark

Very light scratches on the cheek area.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@Rob41281 said:
    Wheel mark

Could it be the marks over the cheek? Is a wheel Mark from a coin counter/rolling machine?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@Rob41281 said:

Very light thin hairlines that run from 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock across the cheek

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2020 9:54PM

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tooled.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    JVCJVC Posts: 25 ✭✭

Here's a whizzed coin I inherited from my father. I wonder what it looked like before the whizzing.

James V. Culbertson
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin was in my father's family while he was growing up in the 30's. It has had the rim dings for as long as he could remember. But back in 1968, as a 13-year old know-it-all, I decided it need a cleaning (along with the 5 old silver dollars our family owned). A toothbrush, some Comet cleanser, and a little elbow grease were all I needed to shine up the whole collection. The coin has retoned slightly but will probably always have that pallor of a once harshly cleaned coin.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a Pilgrim that was cleaned and wouldn't straight grade. I had hopes for this one.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    The learning curve for new collectors can be expensive, so show us a problem coin that harms the value and explain if you can the amount lost due to the problem...

a great thread and idea. missed it first time around.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just learned about wheel marks from this thread and then read an NGC article about them.
    I don’t understand why they keep a coin from straight grading. It sounds like a normal part of coin life and circulation and should just be taken into account in the grade...what did I miss?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck through or slashed through.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 9:10AM

@ShaunBC5 said
    what did I miss?

i'd say 99% of the errors happen while the coins are in the Mint's possession. 1% happen after the coins are released/shipped.

there are instances where an error may be exacerbated after leaving but not readily detectable. a planchet may crack a little further, a delamination may detach or rip a little further or altogether (clamshell, nearly split flans, for example), reeding wire and i'm sure several others.

numismatics cannot really count things that happen to coins/currency/tokens/medals etc in the area of errors after they leave because people can do anything to them, and some to try and errors aren't just some neat niche people made up, they are mistakes that happen at the mints/refineries etc and even bigger mistakes when they leave the mint. there are standards, quality control, guidelines, probably laws governing a certain standard/quality. so coins being released are all errors that deviate from the standards set forth. we may classify them errors, varieties etc.

ok, chased that rabbit enough.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:

That's OK. She's wearing a mask.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file