Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Sewn Bag of $50 of Pennies from the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the website and to these forms and I'm here because I recently found in my house a sewn unopened bag of pennies worth $50, which was produced at the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia and is dated as 1961. The bag is in fine condition, no holes or anything like that.

I'm currently looking to sell it, and I was thinking about just getting the $50 that it's worth at face value, but from looking a little bit online and on this forum, it seems like I could get a lot more for it. If someone has an idea of how much it be worth that would be great. I don't have a lot of time to actually open the back and go through each of the pennies as I'm in college right now and I'm just pretty busy so if anyone can suggest an easy yet effective way for me to sell this bag, I'm looking for any and all suggestions. Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may want to post a picture of the bag.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Your bag of cents will bring a slight premium. My dumb guess would be in the $75 - $100 range. If it was a bag of a better date with the chance of more errors it would be more. A bag of 1972 P, 1969 S, 1983 P etc. would bring much more of a premium. You may want to check with a local coin shop as shipping such a heavy item may be costly.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it's been mentioned around here that a large(or medium?) flat rate box will fit a $50 bag of cents. Reinforcement would be a must, use common sense here.
    As for premium, I have no idea, 1961 didn't have any popular varieties so your target audience will either be people looking for gems, which not likely to be found in a bag that's been moved around for the last 59 years, or copper hoarders. There is also just the cool factor of having an original bag.
    FWIW the copper content of that bag is worth about $90, but it's illegal to melt cents or nickels.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be interested if you could provide pics.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

dont take less than 150 right away , go sign up here

http://www.realcent.org/

that is where the penny people live

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2020 7:06AM

double post :*

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2020 7:05AM

@bronco2078 said:
    dont take less than 150 right away , go sign up here

http://www.realcent.org/

that is where the penny people live

I have around 6 or 7 sealed US Mint Lincoln cent bags. Paid $55 each years ago. All mine are also from the early 1960's if memory serves me.
    $150 per bag would make me happy. Just wouldn't want to pay shipping.

What are the odds of finding mint errors?