Home Sports Talk

Concerns over COVID-19 appear poised to really affect sporting events.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Governor Mike DeWine of Ohio is requesting that major sporting events be held without crowds, similar to talk in the NBA. They are targeting Colleges which would mean the Dayton Regional for NCAA March Madness. MLB is only some 3-4 weeks away from the start of the season. I'm not sure whether I agree with the strategy but concern seems to be growing and I intend to comply with anything Government and Medicine deems to be the best, safest way forward.

It will be weird if these events are held before no fans.

For my own part, I have an appointment tomorrow with my Cardiologist at the Cleveland VA Hospital. I was told this evening that they are checking everyone at the entrance(s) for symptoms. Welcome to our Brave New World.

Al H.

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've already dealt with a pretty lethal virus infection in recent years that almost killed me so I think I'll sit this one out.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2020 7:53PM

my GF called in sick today, she works for the VA in downtown Cleveland at the Federal building. she's been in bed almost all day, sleeping soundly now on the Thera-Flu diet. she almost certainly has some other unrelated bug brought on by the crazy weather here this winter.

I went to the Pharmacy early today to pick some stuff up, the most important was a Thermometer. we're both pretty close to normal, with me running a little low as usual. I can hardly believe we have to be cautious about this but at almost 65 I tend to be an obedient patient, I do whatever my doctors or people smarter than me suggest.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still trying to decide on if I should go to the small Springfield (IL) show the 22nd of this month.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    my GF called in sick today, she works for the VA in downtown Cleveland at the Federal building. she's been in bed almost all day, sleeping soundly now on the Thera-Flu diet. she almost certainly has some other unrelated bug brought on by the crazy weather here this winter.

I went to the Pharmacy early today to pick some stuff up, the most important was a Thermometer. we're both pretty close to normal, with me running a little low as usual. I can hardly believe we have to be cautious about this but at almost 65 I tend to be an obedient patient, I do whatever my doctors or people smarter than me suggest.

I saw that the weather there was really bad that one night last week. Seemed pretty brutal.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's gotten to the point that I'm nervous about going out in public at all. This is sad.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2020 11:12PM

in the not-too-distant past we were all supposed to be wiped out from anthrax, west nile, sars, bird flu, ecoli, swine flu, ebola, zika, and disney measles. yet amazingly, we found a way to overcome.

wash your hands religiously, use hand sanitizer routinely, don't touch your face, and proceed with your life. in other words, continue to do what you're supposed to have been doing all along. and if you happen to catch this strain, the odds are heavily stacked in your favor unless you have underlying health conditions to begin with -- which can be said for many, many diseases.

if any sporting event should be closing up shop it's the weekly pga tour event. seriously, go to one and watch how many times per day a player gives high fives to complete strangers and grabs bacteria & virus infested sharpies. yet this week the players championship in florida is simply tossing up hand sanitizer stations and it's business as usual.

take the necessary precautions and live your life. who wants to essentially self-quarantine until they die from something else? i'd rather keel over on the spot than have a quality of life like that. the fearmongering associated with this is absolutely, positively out of control.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Governor declared a state of emergency in Massachusetts, I think it’s to make it quicker to get supplies and or implement major decisions on closing venues ect.. I never gave SARS or any of those other pandemics a second thought but I am keeping an ear to this, although I’m not 100% certain that this isn’t being overblown a little

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    in the not-too-distant past we were all supposed to be wiped out from anthrax, west nile, sars, bird flu, ecoli, swine flu, ebola, zika, and disney measles. yet amazingly, we found a way to overcome.

wash your hands religiously, use hand sanitizer routinely, don't touch your face, and proceed with your life. in other words, continue to do what you're supposed to have been doing all along. and if you happen to catch this strain, the odds are heavily stacked in your favor unless you have underlying health conditions to begin with -- which can be said for many, many diseases.

if any sporting event should be closing up shop it's the weekly pga tour event. seriously, go to one and watch how many times per day a player gives high fives to complete strangers and grabs bacteria & virus infested sharpies. yet this week the players championship in florida is simply tossing up hand sanitizer stations and it's business as usual.

take the necessary precautions and live your life. who wants to essentially self-quarantine until they die from something else? i'd rather keel over on the spot than have a quality of life like that. the fearmongering associated with this is absolutely, positively out of control.

<<< don't touch your face >>>

Absolutely right when out in public. It is actually very difficult to catch the flu from someone sneezing. They have to almost sneeze right in your face. The flu germs favorite mode of transportation to a new victim is thru human touch.

You touch an infected surface, could be a door handle at any store, coins or currency from a cashier, typing in your PIN at the supermarket checkout or ATM machine, etc. Then you scratch or touch your eyes, nose, inside of your ear, or mouth, and boom, the flu has successfully transported itself with your assistance into your body.

I think it’s to make it quicker to get supplies and or implement major decisions.

that seems to be the strategy, to be able to get ahead of things. as for all the anxiety about this, I choose caution and common sense over fear. :)

@keets said:
    Governor Mike DeWine of Ohio is requesting that major sporting events be held without crowds, similar to talk in the NBA. They are targeting Colleges which would mean the Dayton Regional for NCAA March Madness. MLB is only some 3-4 weeks away from the start of the season. I'm not sure whether I agree with the strategy but concern seems to be growing and I intend to comply with anything Government and Medicine deems to be the best, safest way forward.

It will be weird if these events are held before no fans.

For my own part, I have an appointment tomorrow with my Cardiologist at the Cleveland VA Hospital. I was told this evening that they are checking everyone at the entrance(s) for symptoms. Welcome to our Brave New World.

Al H.

<<< appointment tomorrow with my Cardiologist >>>

One nice thing about the heart, if a heart attack hasn't occurred which unfortunately permanently kills that part of the heart muscle which was clogged and wasn't receiving blood, the heart thru a proper healthy diet can reverse plaque buildup.

One outstanding herb that is great for the heart is cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it on veggies for a healthy heart supplement. Available in organic which is best.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2020 3:52AM

The Champions League game in Valencia Spain yesterday had zero fans in attendance. It was weird to see, should have been ~40-50k there.

Our entire office complex was telework only yesterday. I'm talking about 20 buildings in downtown Atlanta and about est 4-5k people, mandatory, only the response team on site and it was an infrastructure test...which we found the limits of vpn and our bluejeans online conferencing software set up.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lebron stated he will not play in an empty arena devoid of fans.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

he has since changed that stance.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

belaboring my earlier point, but start @ :37.

this has more to do with us being a society of sensationalized snowflakes than anything else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWY0oZV51VY

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone sneezes at the game can the virus shoot out of my TV and infect me?

Asking for a friend :#

I don't go to any sports in person ,its too ridiculously expensive now and too aggravating . People that do are weird.

Seriously , I used to go to a dozen Bruins games a year but $100 a ticket , $100 to park , 4 hours of sitting in traffic, and being strip searched so I don't bring a bottled water in to save $10 gets old pretty quick

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to a spring training game on Friday. How long can I expect to live?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    I'm going to a spring training game on Friday. How long can I expect to live?

Been nice knowing you.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    If someone sneezes at the game can the virus shoot out of my TV and infect me?

Asking for a friend :#

I don't go to any sports in person ,its too ridiculously expensive now and too aggravating . People that do are weird.

Seriously , I used to go to a dozen Bruins games a year but $100 a ticket , $100 to park , 4 hours of sitting in traffic, and being strip searched so I don't bring a bottled water in to save $10 gets old pretty quick

😂😂😂👍👍

69k at the Atlanta United game Saturday night....I don't see the stadium turning that money away anytime soon.

I don't see people dropping dead in the streets from the corona virus.

The last time that happened was in Boston when the Patriots lost their last playoff game.

😉

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/sharks-will-play-in-empty-arena/wcm/3806d4e8-8e3d-44ed-bf24-bf07c61f1341&gt; @galaxy27 said:

belaboring my earlier point, but start @ :37.

this has more to do with us being a society of sensationalized snowflakes than anything else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWY0oZV51VY

I miss his show, Celebrity Rehab.

Some pretty screwed up celebs.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

He changed his mind and said he will play because the 'safety people' know what's best.

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

I know one thing that in one thing for sure is since I retired in 2011 and never even have had a cold although I have had some surgical procedures. Prior to retirement in which I managed a large grocery store colds and the flu were too often with my biggest scare was catching mersa which almost killed me in 2008.I was damn lucky I found a great infectious disease doctor who saved me however I was out of commission for 3 months.
    I had a trip planned to go to Texas soon and some other traveling however I put everything on hold for now.
    I will only associate with my family members and only go where I absolutely have to go.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

The governor of Washington has banned gatherings of 250+ people in 3 counties, including King, where Seattle is located. That doesn't include schools but does include churches, concerts, and sporting events. He's expected to expand that ban to other counties before long.

Here in Spokane, we've not yet had a single case and it's business as usual everywhere other than stores having no hand sanitizer on their shelves. We're hosting the NCAAs next week, so far no word on any changes to that.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NBA season has just been suspended.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited March 11, 2020 7:09PM

Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz has reportedly tested positive for the virus and the NBA plans to suspend play following tonight's games. :#

mock the responses and minimize the disease but it is being taken seriously as a threat.

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Well, he’s right about that. None of them will be playing for the foreseeable future after the NBA shut down their season

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Zero chance MLB starts the 2020 season on time. I fully expect the NCAA tournament to be cancelled as well, or likewise postponed.

@TNP777 said:
    Zero chance MLB starts the 2020 season on time. I fully expect the NCAA tournament to be cancelled as well, or likewise postponed.

Will anyone notice if baseball doesn't start?

College basketball?
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Waiting to hear if my next couple season tix games have been cancelled, postponed, or deemed no-fan games and what they’ll do about the $.

@DrBuster said:
    Waiting to hear if my next couple season tix games have been cancelled, postponed, or deemed no-fan games and what they’ll do about the $.

Its an excellent time to re evaluate the idea of owning season tickets

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

We should all just stay home.........forever.

Don't forget to buy up all the toilet paper and hand sanitizer while you're at it.

@bronco2078 said:

@DrBuster said:

No thanks, I am not going to buy them, especially now. ;-)

Just shows that the teams don't need fans in the stands to make a profit.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz has reportedly tested positive for the virus and the NBA plans to suspend play following tonight's games. :#

mock the responses and minimize the disease but it is being taken seriously as a threat.

And a second Utah player, too.

https://aol.com/article/news/2020/03/12/report-utah-jazz-star-donovan-mitchell-becomes-second-nba-player-to-test-positive-for-coronavirus/23948177/

@JoeBanzai said:
    We should all just stay home.........forever.

Don't forget to buy up all the toilet paper and hand sanitizer while you're at it.

@bronco2078 said:

@DrBuster said:

No thanks, I am not going to buy them, especially now. ;-)

Just shows that the teams don't need fans in the stands to make a profit.

I think what it will show is no one needs any of it. If this kills MLB I won't miss it. The NFL got lucky and missed the window

MLS season suspended 30 days min.
    NCAA basketball conf championships cancelled.
    MLB should announce later today spring season will be cancelled.
    Europe basketball and soccer games in all kinds of different states of being played or not, no fans, etc.

And our trip to central america here in a couple weeks is 99.999% getting cancelled