Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Buying a MJ rookie....

2»

Comments

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Genuine and unaltered 9's and 10's in the long term, wow, sky's the limit.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I think discussing problematic cards is fine. And it's def not too "real" for me. I just know that questioning PSAs integrity on their own forum never goes over too well.

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2020 8:55PM

has PSA ever responded to this in some way?

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Horse said:
    I'm too sexy for my cat.

After hearing about your pack opening pantie parties with the boys,I bet that cat needs some time in therapy ;)

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I think every grading company has likely had some altered cards slip through.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Horse said:
    I'm too sexy for my cat.

My cat hates me, and everytime I try to pet him, he seems to always have chores to do. I believe I have some footage of my last attempt at petting him....

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just five yrs ago, you could get a PSA 9 for around $3000. Now they are topping $10,000.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

so basically....if I'm looking to spend $2500 on this card I'm outta luck. and in truth theres a chance even if i spend 25k ill be outta luck (because of the scammers)....
    seems like a no win and unless you buy cards straight from the pack its all up for grabs.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@momo1234 said:
    so basically....if I'm looking to spend $2500 on this card I'm outta luck. and in truth theres a chance even if i spend 25k ill be outta luck (because of the scammers)....
    seems like a no win and unless you buy cards straight from the pack its all up for grabs.

Not necessarily,you just have to do your due diligence before pulling the trigger on one.
    1. If you're buying one online then I'd start by checking to make sure its not a fake first by comparing it to other known legit or fake copies. There are plenty of members here that own this card including myself that could post pics for you to compare with if needed.
    2. Do all you can to make sure its not trimmed by asking for as many pics as possible to view. I know this isn't a guarantee of anything but viewing it from all angles is better than just a basic front & back view. I know this also isn't a guarantee of not being trimmed but I would try to find one that touches all four of the inner borders of a PSA slab and stay away from any that look extremely small in that same space.
    3. If you find one you like then I'd start looking into the seller on google and through his feedback. See if his ebay id comes up in a negative light,if he does have a history of issues then there likely will be a thread about him over on the Blowout forum. Check his ebay feedback thoroughly including scrolling through his positive feedbacks to make sure there aren't "false positives" on top of reading any neutral/negative reviews they may have.

If you're about to buy one in person then 1 & 2 above still apply. Before leaving to go to whatever card show/shop maybe save some images of known legit & fake copies on your phone so you can compare the pics to any Jordan you find at the show. Again check how it fits inside the holder and in my opinion I'd stay away from any with too much space around the card.
    There are plenty of legit copies of this card out there in whatever grade you're looking for so you just have to spend a little time finding the right one where you feel comfortable spending this much money on a MJ rookie.
    If anyone else can add to what I typed above please do.

• Options

number 2 makes a lot of sense, especially in person. one thing this thread has taught me is buying this card online, will probably end in some form of disappointment.

looks like cash at a show will be my best bet.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikelowell25 said:

@craig44 said:
    well... I really dont want to ruffle any feathers, as I know this is a sensitive subject for many, but there is one seller in particular who has taken a specialty in trimming the 86 fleer jordan. That is up to and including 10's. because of the card stock used, each card has a fingerprint and can be photomatched with cards previously sold. there are many threads all over the net detailing this. I have read that this particular seller has been producing these cards since at least the mid 2000's and has altered well over 1 Mill. dollars worth of 86 jordans.

I would personally love to purchase an 86 fleer Jordan, but the evidence seems to indicate that a tremendous amount of highly graded examples are altered.

Craig, i'm confused by your post--are you saying this guy is producing counterfeit cards that are so good that they're finding their way into PSA holders or that he is merely trimming genuine cards??

No. They are authentic cards that have been altered by trimming.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.