Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Can't seem to figure the ST qualifier on this card.

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

The attached card is graded 8(ST). Well, to me, a stain would not be consistent across the card, more like a blotch here and there. The card shows a slightly darkened hue, consistent across the card and evenly distributed. I've seen 55 Topps, with obverse darkening because of the big slab of bubble gum that used to come with the cards. Not really complaining about the grade, just don't see how they got to that conclusion. What am I missing?
Comments welcome.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a wax stain on the front when you tilt the card under the light?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Hard to tell through the slab, but could possible be...maybe it was an OPC thing in '79.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2020 4:09AM

Just above Tiant's right forearm going to his left shoulder.

Most gum stains (if it one) can be removed with a soft cloth if on front. Not on back easily.

I have seen much worse get by with no qualifier.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

It may also be over there by the writing.

People use panty hose, cloths etc. Just be careful you are removing part of the card if you do that. Can make the card much worse instead of better. Learning how to crack the card out can be an experience as well.

• Options

I have no problem with cracking a card...can probably do so in about a minute.
    I'll just leave it alone, accept the grade, which I have no control over. I just don't see the flaw. If you gotta hunt and use a magnifying glass, which I've done, and still can't see what the issue is, then, to me, the qualifier is bogus BS.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toning on reverse? Looks like the upper right part of card is darker.

I once had a 1973 Killebrew that was a 9 PD and couldn't see the PD cracked it out and it came back an 8 :-(

There was no PD on the card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

The whole grading thing is SUBJECTIVE . One grader says "X", the next says "Y".

I once had 1955 Topps #64, Gus Triandos, that I got in an SGC holder, somewhere in the mid 40s grade. Well, I crack it and presto bango, it came back as a PSA 8.5. At the time it was the only one graded that high, and none higher.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the stain the grader is referring to is the splotch in the border just to the right of "Luis Tiant P".

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I believe the stain the grader is referring to is the splotch in the border just to the right of "Luis Tiant P".

Gee, that thing is kinda microscopic, even with the card in my hand!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

@countdouglas said:

The little spot that's barely noticeable. Those are the best ones to buy, not so much if you're the guy sending them in for grading. I think It's a bit of oil off of the machinery. It's a fairly common ST, though.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a wax stain on the front when you tilt the card under the light?> @MCMLVTopps said:

@countdouglas said:

That's not the reason for a ST qualifier.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Decided to put my PSA 9 next to the PSA 8(ST) for comparison.
    Where is the stain??? If you gotta stare hard and pick the card apart, I think then its a bogus qualifier.