Home Sports Talk
Options

Manning or Montana?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were going to start a team which would you take as your QB, Peyton Manning or Joe Montana?

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really tough call on this one. Both great pocket passers, with and without great receivers. I'd give an edge to Manning on reading Ds and line adjustments, Montana for coming up big in the postseason. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Really tough call on this one. Both great pocket passers, with and without great receivers. I'd give an edge to Manning on reading Ds and line adjustments, Montana for coming up big in the postseason. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

except in the playoffs then you would be wrong to choose manning unless you mean Eli

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

Montana.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Manning

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Joe

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

It could really go either way, but I would take Manning. In his prime he would just pick a defense apart, plus the fact that Joe Montana never said "Omaha".

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

except in the playoffs then you would be wrong to choose manning unless you mean Eli

Yeah, definitely go the the brother who has two rings ... oh wait ;)

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@bronco2078 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Yeah, definitely go the the brother who has two rings ... oh wait ;)

higher batting average for eli

• Options

Montana.> @doubledragon said:

It could really go either way, but I would take Manning. In his prime he would just pick a defense apart, plus the fact that Joe Montana never said "Omaha".

That "Omaha" call was SO irritating!

Manning was not as good in the post season. Was pretty bad in both SB wins.

Montana's QB rate in 4 SB victories averaged 122. Never threw an interception in the big game either.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Montana.> @doubledragon said:

That "Omaha" call was SO irritating!

Manning was not as good in the post season. Was pretty bad in both SB wins.

Montana's QB rate in 4 SB victories averaged 122. Never threw an interception in the big game either.

No way, Omaha was awesome! He should have used other cities as well. ;)

• Options

Manning should have used other cities besides Omaha.

Down, set, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Lauderdale, hut, hut!

• Options

the city of Omaha is awful , I'm fine with the steaks tho

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Montana.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 80s me says Montana, the 90s+ me says Manning.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

My heart says Montana, but If I am a GM starting a team with the foreknowledge of how both careers would pan out, Manning seems to be the safer choice. Manning was extremely healthy throughout his career except for the neck injury year.

Joe was injured alot. in fact, it surprised me seeing that he only started 16 games in two seasons.

as great as Montana was in the post season, durability has to weigh into the equation.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe was very good, but Payton could pick apart a defense and had great accuracy on the long ball. I'll take Manning.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'd go with Montana to start a team. Here's a better question, if we switched up their offensive weapons from Montana's SB winning years or Manning's 49/55 Passing TD record years,which core would you start your offense with?

Peyton Manning,Roger Craig,Jerry Rice,John Taylor,Brent Jones
    Joe Montana,Edgerrin James,Marvin Harrison,Reggie Wayne,Dallas Clark
    Joe Montana,Knowshon Moreno,Demaryius Thomas,Eric Decker,Julius Thomas

• Options

@craig44 said:

Joe was injured alot. in fact, it surprised me seeing that he only started 16 games in two seasons.

as great as Montana was in the post season, durability has to weigh into the equation.

Montana had a back injury in 1986 (made 9 starts) and an elbow injury in 1991 and 1992, so he missed two years there.

Manning missed one full season in 2011 and made 9 starts his final year.

Montana missed a full year more than Peyton AND had a shorter career, playing in 74 less games. Manning started a year younger and played until 39 to Joe's 38.

The comment that Montana only started 16 games in two seasons is correct, but in 1982 and 1987 he was not injured, there were player strikes those years. From 1988-90 Joe was healthy and Walsh gave Steve Young a few starts.

I wouldn't say it was fair to say "Joe was injured a lot", he had two serious injuries and Manning had one.

Manning came in and was the starter right away, and didn't have any competition from the start, or during, his time with IND.

Montana did not get the starting opportunity for a couple of years and then Steve Walsh came along.

Four SB victories (to me as a Vikings fan) is huge. Manning came across (to me) as a bit of a failure with the Colts, winning one SB and "his" victory with the Broncos was not really because he was any longer very good, the defense won that game.

Manning was the slightly more valuable regular season QB, but Montana was more valuable in the post season (14-5 with the 49ers) by far. Manning had a losing record with the Colts in the post season, 9-10.

If you are the general manager and get to know all this ahead of time, then you also get to know that Steve young will be coming along after Joe, so that seems to really seal the deal.

Go with Joe! ;-)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Montana

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@erikthredd said:
    I think I'd go with Montana to start a team. Here's a better question, if we switched up their offensive weapons from Montana's SB winning years or Manning's 49/55 Passing TD record years,which core would you start your offense with?

I’d go with Manning and Joes supporting cast

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

I'd probably go with Joe & the Colts group. Either way I think both QBs are still HOFers if you switched out their weapons.
    I'd still take White,Edelman,Amendola & Gronk over any group everytime. ;)

• Options
    edited March 6, 2020 9:20AM

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

As would I providing Brady is at QB 😎

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

As would I providing Brady is at QB 😎

I dont know. I think i would prefer Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Faulk.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Career W/L of .857, career playoff completion of 83.3% and QB rating of 97.2, and zero career playoff interceptions.

Yeah, I'll take Kruczek.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    Career W/L of .857, career playoff completion of 83.3% and QB rating of 97.2, and zero career playoff interceptions.

Yeah, I'll take Kruczek.

Over who?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@dallasactuary said:

Yeah, I'll take Kruczek.

Over who?

Over Manning and Montana, silly.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

Yeah, I'll take Kruczek.

Wasn't he the leader of Russia back in the 60's??!! :o

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@dallasactuary said:
    Yeah, I'll take Kruczek.

Yes, but he redeemed himself by leading the Steelers in the 70's. Kruczek was the one who suggested the name "Steel Curtain" for Pittsburgh's defense, because they were like the Iron Curtain he used to control, only stronger. True story.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@dallasactuary said:
    Yeah, I'll take Kruczek.

Yes, but he redeemed himself by leading the Steelers in the 70's. Kruczek was the one who suggested the name "Steel Curtain" for Pittsburgh's defense, because they were like the Iron Curtain he used to control, only stronger. True story.

That was beautiful man!

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Joe Montana.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."