Home Precious Metals

In an emergency move, Federal Reserve cuts interest rates to battle coronavirus

coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok, the fed just cut interest rates 1/2 percent in a emergency move and pm's are showing some strong moves up. so what will gold and silver close out at today?

Comments

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Higher (lol).

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's more important for gold is what the rate cut will do to equities. If it fails to ignite a Wall St. rally (it's intended purpose) then gold's a lock and there will be rate cuts down to zero. If equities bounce, gold will have trouble holding.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Seriously? How does the coronavirus feel about all that?

I was just about to borrow money to buy virus , good thing I waited

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is another concern, the dow dropped 600 points even after the rate cut

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Um, gold is up $49 all of a sudden? Any news?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dow off 400 points

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

its just the start :(

I am heavy gold, but silver got left out of the party again, it should be up well over a dollar/ounce

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

S&P down 95 or 3%
    DOW down 800 or 3.1%
    Gold and silver up 3% each
    10-year treasury is at .912%- WOW!!

My defensive portfolio is looking good today >:) and I think it will continue that way for a while. There is no end in sight for the corona virus and it looks like it is imminently spreading in the U. I expect supply chains and certain economies to stall, pulling the overall world economy down with it. Looks like I'll begin to shop around to see if it is worthwhile to re-finance my already low interest mortgage ( fixed 30 year @ 3.8%) for a better rate. Maybe I'll hold off a few months for even lower rates...

first emergency fed rate hike since 08 crisis.

first half a point rate hike in quite a long time.

Leaves no doubt that the fed's number one mandate is Wall St.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Um, gold is up $49 all of a sudden? Any news?

rate cut and dollar fall

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@derryb said:
    first emergency fed rate hike since 08 crisis.

first half a point rate hike in quite a long time.

Leaves no doubt that the fed's number one mandate is Wall St.

wall street had the rate cut already priced in on the fed funds market

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

2 more people just died in Washington state, which brings the total to 9 from corona, dow now down over 900

Coronavirus cases confirmed in 3 New England states amid global outbreak

we need to keep this tied to PMs.

the move in gold seems a lot more tied to the dollar right now and that rate cut. the next fed meeting is in 2 weeks.

also, the dow is not down 900 right now. it's down 710 and was down only 660 at 3:05.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Fed is in a helluva bind.
    The old folks don't need anything and the young folks can't afford to make loan payments.
    :o:o:o

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

They just flashed a map on screen that showed a case in NH.
    I believe this is likely the result of travel in and throughout Italy, which is a popular destination here in the Northeast, particularly following school vacation week, which was from Feb 16 - 22.
    Almost 2 weeks ago now.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2020 8:31PM

My travel plans are by car only, at this point.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

@JohnnyCache said:
    They just flashed a map on screen that showed a case in NH.
    I believe this is likely the result of travel in and throughout Italy, which is a popular destination here in the Northeast, particularly following school vacation week, which was from Feb 16 - 22.
    Almost 2 weeks ago now.

probably a pinkerton academy lad ;) For the children of privilege all that will end soon enough . jetting off to rome with mater and pater isnt going to go much longer

Remember to wash your hands and stop messing with your face.

I knew it would happen.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheap money is what it is.

HE>I

edited March 5, 2020 9:13AM

Peter Schiff: They’re Going to Need a Bigger Rate Cut!

"Just like the guy from Jaws, ‘We’re gonna need a bigger boat to catch this shark,’ the Fed is going to need a much bigger rate cut if they want to stop this bear market."

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/economy/fed-buying-treasuries-bonds/2019/09/09/id/931785/
    Fed Reportedly Buying Treasuries Again: $14B and Counting
    the fed is running out of bullets, maybe only 2 or 3 more rate cuts to zero interest, so now they buy treasuries to try to rally the market

@coinpalice said:
    so now they buy treasuries to try to rally the market

Next step, buying the market.

yep, if they do another rate cut on the 18th, even a quarter percent, that should propel gold over 1,700, if it's not already there

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is remarkable that our friends at the Fed have not figured out that negative rates are a bad idea. I confidently predicted a while back that 10 year treasuries would not go below 1 percent. I guess I was wrong.

Higashiyama

@Higashiyama said:
    It is remarkable that our friends at the Fed have not figured out that negative rates are a bad idea. I confidently predicted a while back that 10 year treasuries would not go below 1 percent. I guess I was wrong.

MMT (Magic Money Tree)

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

The days of earning a decently high, effortless, and risk-free rate of return for simple cash deposits are over forever.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Gregory Mannarino has it right. The Fed is not our friend.

I knew it would happen.

a year after i graduated from college, i put 40,000 in a 2 year cd at the bank for 7 percent interest locked in. once interest rates went below 5 percent, i started investing in gold and never stopped

this is something different, gold was in the red all day and now is in the green, up 8.10 to 1,679

gold has immunity from the virus, dollars do not.

I’ll just leave this here for the guys buying colloidal silver 😆:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-televangelist-jim-bakker-silver-solution-coronavirus

so how will the interest rates fight the virus exactly ? And will it be a pay per view type thing?

• RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fed will cut again at Mar 17-18 FOMC meeting, gold will spike again, we have a ways to go before USA gets a handle on this CoronaVirus. $1800 + near future for gold not unrealistic. JMHO.

Collector of Classic US Coins

Where's the bailout?

• RobMRobM Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Not monkeying around... I just received a link to a live video feed from this morning's PPT meeting. I think there may be some confusion on what, if anything, needs to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNboV7Uhg-8

edited March 10, 2020 3:57PM

The 1.5 $quadrillion in bets on insurance on bets on collateralized debts (derivatives) will once again shatter a decade of FED magic. Since 1999 when banker's successfully lobbied for repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act, the economy has been raped and pillaged by Shadow Banking. And since the turn of the century the FED has been continually hiding the reality and plugging holes like an octopus Dutch boy.

Unlike 2008, the FED has only one, maybe two, tricks left before the music stops this time. Smart guy is already grabbing a chair. I would bet that even Coho is now looking for a seat.