Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wrestling Fans - This Card is Incredible... Can you guess who it is?

Picked this up for 5 bucks off Beckett. Been looking for over 2 years. Such a cool piece to add to my collection. Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭✭

Not a wrestling fan, but was curious so had to look it up. Never heard of the guy myself. Cool set though. I see at least 1 guy who made the NFL was in the set when I found your card image online.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    jtala18jtala18 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2020 9:31PM

This is a young Leon White, formerly a center for the Colorado Buffaloes in 1974. He is better known as Vader or Big Van Vader from wrestling in Japan, WCW and WWF throughout the 80s and 90s. Probably one of the best big man heels (bad guys) in the business. This big boy did moonsaults (backflips) off the top rope onto his opponent. So stoked on this card! Definitely a Vader Rookie.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

Do they grade those playing cards?

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    jtala18jtala18 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

I’m not sure but I don’t see why not. Checklist is easy to find. There are two different versions, the one shown and one with a gold back. The card looks almost untouched in hand. However there was a print issue on the front as you can see with the small black dots on front. I’m just stoked to even have one, and it’s an extra bonus to see it in such good condition after all these years. I will end up submitting to see if they’ll grade it but like I said, I don’t see why they wouldn’t.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vader was one bad dude. I loved watching him in the ring, he was a brute force. It's Vader time!

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!

You were the first person to ever point it out so you know how hard one is to find.

There are rumors he is going into the WWE HOF. Unlike the MLB you don't get some wild pop but it certainly can't hurt.

Congrats!

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

For those that like to read, Vaders autobiography was very good. He was actually a very good football player. Made the NFL , but was hobbled due to injuries.