Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Post A Coin That Has Upgraded!

Title says it all, post a coin that has upgraded in grade, designation or any way shape or form. Even an upgrade crossover counts!
Heres my piece to contribute; I sent this in last year with a few of my registry set lincolns and got a MS66BN right off the bat. This coin came from an ebay seller. I had @ilikemonsters upgrade it for me where it gained a + and a cac sticker :)

Comments

• Options

Was this sent as a crossover from another TPG - or did you crack it out before submission?

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2020 2:27PM

@hobby1946 said:
    Was this sent as a crossover from another TPG - or did you crack it out before submission?

If you're referring to my coin, the above Flying Eagle Cent, the answer is neither. It was originally graded by PCGS as MS66, and then submitted by the prior owner to CAC, and he/she successfully got that sticker. I then bought it in a Heritage auction, and as noted above, I had to pay a strong price. Once in my hands, I then submitted it to Rick Snow, and he agreed it merited his coveted Eagle Eye Photo Seal, and he applied that sticker. I then sent it back to PCGS using "Reconsideration" (they don't remove it from the existing holder unless it upgrades). Obviously, they now saw both a CAC AND Eagle Eye Photo Seal (having these may NOT have made a difference, since in theory they look only at the coin in the holder). Regardless, they agreed the original grade was too strict, so they then removed it from the MS66 holder to give it a new label at MS66+. Then as noted in my prior post, I resubmitted it as an MS66+ to both CAC and Rick Snow to get those labels automatically reapplied, since the "Reconsideration" method retains the SAME cert number on an upgrade, and the upgrade was only a "+", NOT to the next whole grade number! The CAC cost to reapply a sticker is only $3, and Rick Snow does not charge a fee to reapply his sticker.

Did you look up the difference in value with that "+"? As I noted above in my prior post, it's SHOCKING!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears that paying a "strong" price was a wise move. Wow! That's quite a spread for that little "+".

• Options
    edited March 1, 2020 4:38PM

@toyz4geo said:
    It appears that paying a "strong" price was a wise move. Wow! That's quite a spread for that little "+".

Don't give me too much credit. Over the years I have established invaluable professional relationships, and despite today's technology with high resolution photos, many coins look better in the photos than in hand, AND vice versa. These unbiased people have me pass on many of the coins i inquire about that look good in the photos. As such, this was a combination of good luck, plus good unbiased advice from an industry contact.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    I bought this as MS66. After the upgrade to MS66+, both CAC and Rick Snow automatically reapplied their CAC and Eagle Eye Photo Seal stickers as neither recognize “+” grades as being any different from the whole number grade, as long as the cert numbers remain unchanged. Take a peek at the pricing differential with the “+”. It’s SHOCKING! And that differential ignores any value added by the Photo Seal!

By the way, I paid a very strong price for this coin, not anticipating an upgrade, but only due to its eye appeal. I never buy a coin anticipating an upgrade. If some of my coins upgrade, it’s just a real nice bonus. No disappointment when coins fail getting upgraded.

https://caimages.collectors.com/coinimages/42396/35924108/58_ll_m66_p083[1].jpg

A beauty, Way deserving of that upgrade!!

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't done many regrades, but here is a couple.
    Big value change on this one. 65fb to 66fb.

This one not a big value coin, but one of my all time favorites. Posted it before.

66fb to 67fb.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't the whole King of Siam set up grade?

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was ANACS MS66 now PCGS MS67

• Options

OK so I have one but no photo because it's been sold. I submitted a 1893 Morgan to PCGS hoping to get AU58 which it did but came back with a "details" grade due to what PCGS considered a scratch... I disagreed and so did NGC - it came back NGC AU58 without details and it was a beauty!

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020 6:44PM
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's nice!

• Options

Gorgeous! And a CAC to boot! Enjoy!!!!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2022 7:16PM

A person was selling 2 - 1953 PCGS PR 66 cents on eBay. I saw one was a re cut 401 die variety. So I contact him and ask if the one with the serial number I wanted to cherrypick was available and if I hit the BIN would I receive that particular coin and he said yes. As soon as I opened that package I remember thinking that was a very nice looking proof! I had some other variety cents to send in so I cracked it out and gave it my usual acetone bath and sent it in as a raw coin rather than sending it in just for attribution. It comes back PR 68 and Top Pop!

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2022 4:51PM

Was an 1827/6 ANACS EF45 (old white holder) that converted to PCGS AU53

I have 2 old white ANACS slabbed AU50 that both converted to AU58 with PCGS. NO PHOTOS YET as the photos at PCGS are running behind.

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

That 7 running up on the rim reminds me of a 82-P Roosevelt I have that does the same thing.

Dan