Home Sports Talk
Options

Steroid Cheating vs. Sign Stealing Cheating-Which was worse?

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sense some hypocrisy within the MLB players community. Can't recall any beaning against suspected/known steroid cheaters or players ratting out others in the brotherhood for steroid use. Only one that comes to mind are the Jose Canseco books. If there are other examples please point them out to me.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steroid cheaters were more of an individual cheat, effected individual statistics. I'm sure there were some players unaware or at least not involved in steroids. Other than Canseco, no one wanted to admit to doing it.

Sign stealing more about winning games. I would assume the entire team knew about it. When players changed teams they were more likely to tell their new team mates about the sign stealing.

Both bad, both more or less ignored by MLB for quite some time.

Sad.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Teams cheat. See the New England Patriots.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Teams cheat. See the New England Patriots.

Winning promotes jealousy 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse than gambling!!!!!!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

thats our dime , 100% wrong as usual

• Options
    edited February 29, 2020 9:58AM

Gambling on other teams to win or lose in my opinion is fine, gambling on your own team to win is pushing the envelope but should not be allowed, gambling on your team to lose and actually losing while your a player or coach is far worse than steroids, stealing signs or pretty much anything else against the rules in my opinion. Jon please tell me you agree with this at least?

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahhhh, Paul, it appears you weren't given permission to travel a bit South. :o

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2020 11:57AM

The worst is getting your brother to pose as you at a celebrity boxing event. And in this corner Jose Canseco... or is that his brother Ozzie.....😂

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Gambling on other teams to win or lose in my opinion is fine, gambling on your own team to win is pushing the envelope but should not be allowed, gambling on your team to lose and actually losing while your a player or coach is far worse than steroids, stealing signs or pretty much anything else against the rules in my opinion. Jon please tell me you agree with this at least?

Definitely agree with this, but Rose DID NOT do this.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Definitely agree with this, but Rose DID NOT do this.

What makes you think he didn't?

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Word

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the PED/steroid scandal was worse by degree, it went on much longer(and may still be going on), involved more players and distorted the entire Game, each and every Team. the difference is that this debacle is happening in a short, real time period with an easily identified enemy.

I think "the beaning" is just a Spring Training phenomenon that will stop once the regular season starts.

• Options

@keets said:
    I think that the PED/steroid scandal was worse by degree, it went on much longer(and may still be going on), involved more players and distorted the entire Game, each and every Team. the difference is that this debacle is happening in a short, real time period with an easily identified enemy.

I think "the beaning" is just a Spring Training phenomenon that will stop once the regular season starts.

It better not stop I'm bored with this sport , I want blood splattered in the batters box

• Options

when will they start hitting the BoSox??

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I sense some hypocrisy within the MLB players community. Can't recall any beaning against suspected/known steroid cheaters or players ratting out others in the brotherhood for steroid use. Only one that comes to mind are the Jose Canseco books. If there are other examples please point them out to me.

ARod got drilled by Boston. I believe Ryan Braun also got hit.

• Options

Dimeman asked OJ if he killed those folks , OJ said nope.

That was good enough for the Dime!

• Options

@keets said:

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

WHY???????????????????

Aren't the Astros the only team to ever cheat?????????????????????

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@keets said:

I think they are trying hard to find something worth attacking them over. I don’t care either way but I did read that whatever they did was nothing compared to what the Astros did.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@keets said:

I think they are trying hard to find something worth attacking them over. I don’t care either way but I did read that whatever they did was nothing compared to what the Astros did.

Weren't they doing the same thing???????

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@keets said:

Weren't they doing the same thing???????

I truly don’t know, I’m just posting on what I read a few weeks ago, I wished I copied and pasted it here but it was I think a sportswriter opinion maybe.

• Options

I truly don’t know.....................

it has been reported that prior to their 2018 LCS, Joe Torre met with representatives of both the Astros and the Red Sox with a warning about stealing signs. so, yes, the Red Sox were indeed doing the same thing and MLB knew.

• Options

@keets said:
    I truly don’t know.....................

it has been reported that prior to their 2018 LCS, Joe Torre met with representatives of both the Astros and the Red Sox with a warning about stealing signs. so, yes, the Red Sox were indeed doing the same thing and MLB knew.

Got any links or supportive info on this except your ( In Bold Print ) “The Sox we’re indeed doing the same thing”

• Options

here's one report I located off your request, there are others. take it with a grain of salt if you wish, hopefully your Boston loyalty won't cloud your judgement.

https://msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/joe-torre-reportedly-warned-astros-and-red-sox-about-sign-stealing-consequences-in-2018/ar-BB10yQnI

• Options

@keets said:
    here's one report I located off your request, there are others. take it with a grain of salt if you wish, hopefully your Boston loyalty won't cloud your judgement.

https://msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/joe-torre-reportedly-warned-astros-and-red-sox-about-sign-stealing-consequences-in-2018/ar-BB10yQnI

Ok thank you for that, although it’s nothing definitive in my opinion so again let’s wait and see what MLB comes up with as far as accusations and punish of the Sox. I don’t know one way or another if they were doing the same, less, more or whatever as the Astros were and at this point I’m. It sure MLB knows either. If they are found to have done the same things as the Astros then they deserve the same punishment the way I see it. I’m loyal but also realistic

• Options
  • Options

Steroids = personal achievement. Sign stealing = potential club wins. Verdict: Sign stealing, BUT that's always been the case in baseball. What guy on 2nd never tries to decipher the Catcher's signs or any player trying to "read" a Pitcher? Show me your hand in a poker game and boo on you, but using electronic surveillance then banging trash cans went too far. Unfortunately, that's not the end of it, there's no end to it. Hell, with Nano Tech now here, there's gonna be some mechanical mosquito in the outfield with a camera on it. Sounds crazy, but people thought Orville and Wilbur were nuts too.

Currently seeking 1975 Hostess panels
    Got one, two, more? Let me know!!

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Both Bad.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)