• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow ride..... take it easy....

• Options

Embarrassing.

• Options

I love when these guys make an appearance on the field.

• Options

I'm taking you with me.

• Options

The putt was off anyway.

• Options

Look who it is Reggie, your old buddy.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020 4:00AM

This is a classic

Fly out bouncing off Jose Canseco's head for a HR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QixQMUu4CKI

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 Cheers for Double D taking over for Coin in keeping this place Bumpin’ ! 🍻🍻🍻👍👍

• Options

@perkdog said:
    3 Cheers for Double D taking over for Coin in keeping this place Bumpin’ ! 🍻🍻🍻👍👍

Thanks Perk, I could never replace Coin, but I do try to make a little contribution to the sports forum along with the rest of you guys.

• Options

What the heck is going on with the Minnesota sideline? We got players rubbing the wrong knees, we got players picking crud out their mouth.😂

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Thanks Perk, I could never replace Coin, but I do try to make a little contribution to the sports forum along with the rest of you guys.

I’m your biggest fan buddy 👍👍

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I’m your biggest fan buddy 👍👍

Thanks Perk, I appreciate it. 🍻

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a clip of it, but Willie Stargill(sp) trying to steal 2nd is a classic. Half way there he see's the guy already has the ball......so Willie stops and gives the time out sign!

• Options

The three stooges would be proud.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I don't have a clip of it, but Willie Stargill(sp) trying to steal 2nd is a classic. Half way there he see's the guy already has the ball......so Willie stops and gives the time out sign!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nZ194opBr8Y

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4442NQclanM
    >
    Remember when a grown man got caught cheating and threw a temper tantrum like a 3 year old girl? Still makes me laugh.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll never forget the Royals taking the heart out of the Angels in 2014. Cain had the kill shot with back to back web gems later in the game, but the initial gut punch was Billy Butler stealing 2nd base, and then REVVING IT UP!

AGAIN, IT'S WORTH REPEATING, BILLY BUTLER, OF ALL PEOPLE, STOLE SECOND BASE! AND THEN PUNKED THE ANGELS BY REVVING IT UP!

The body language of the Angels after that was priceless, even from the players that aren't shown in the photo, and I don't believe they've ever recovered from that series beatdown. The slowest guy in baseball...stole second base...AND REVVED IT UP! HAHA! Still makes me laugh.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:
    >
    Remember when a grown man got caught cheating and threw a temper tantrum like a 3 year old girl? Still makes me laugh.

I never get tired of watching that, absolutely hilarious. I often wondered how much chewing tobacco spit he swallowed during that whole meltdown lol

• Options

You have to feel bad for this guy.

• Options

Never assume anything.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@dallasactuary said:
    >

I never get tired of watching that, absolutely hilarious. I often wondered how much chewing tobacco spit he swallowed during that whole meltdown lol

Royals fans love that video, as well. In the Royals Hall of Fame, they have a maybe 8-10 minute video of the Pine Tar Game in their rotation that you can view as you're visiting. It really goes in depth with quotes from the main participants. The Yankees had tremendous respect, and almost a fear, of Brett's ability to come through in the clutch. They had noticed the excessive amount of pine tar on Brett's bat in the previous series at Royals Stadium, which was weeks prior, and rather than point it out then, kept that bit of information in their back pocket, as Billy Martin knew that it wasn't going to be a matter of "if" Brett was going to do damage to the Yankees again, but an absolute "when".

Brett was such a great hitter that he rarely got jammed to where he would break bats. He got somewhat hot, and was getting a lot of hits out of that bat, and as luck would have it, was still using the same bat from the Yankees series weeks before, with weeks more worth of pine tar having been applied and seeped into the wood grain in all directions.

Years later, Brett and the (at the time of the game) rookie umpire Tim McClelland would attend various speaking engagements together where they would relive the famous out call and the "discussion" that resulted. McClelland would recall that Brett comes flying out of the dugout, and people would ask him, in that moment, as a rookie umpire, what was he thinking? He would say, "I'm 6 foot 6, weigh 240 pounds, I'm wearing shin protectors, I have an inside chest protector on, and a mask in my hand that I could use as a weapon in a fight, so I wasn't worried, but in that moment George Brett showed me his passion for the game of baseball and the fact that his will to win was so great that he would give everything he had to win, to beat you... or die trying..." Then he would pause a beat for comedic effect, "George should feel lucky that they held him back."

Brett is also a pretty glib storyteller, and you can find numerous videos of him recounting all kinds of stories with comedic effect. I can't recall him ever mentioning swallowing his chew, but I do think it's come up how much spittle was flying out of his mouth as he was "calmly telling Tim that he disagreed with the out call." Brett also talks about how that specific bat had remained usable for such a long time, that even after the pine tar game, while they were appealing the ruling, he cleaned it up with rubbing alcohol and continued to use it. So after roughly 2 months of continuous use, several games after the Pine Tar Game, somebody finally pointed out to Brett that the bat would be worth quite a bit as a collectible. He felt the bat still had a lot of hits left in it, but reluctantly took it out of service. He ended up giving the cleaned up "Pine Tar Bat" to his collector friend Barry Halper. I believe a few years later, Brett got the bat back and had it on display in his restaurant for awhile, and it's now on display in the Hall of Fame.

They certainly don't make bats like that anymore, and they make even fewer ballplayers like Brett.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Funny faces.

• Options
    edited March 7, 2020 6:48AM

That's right, you have now been immortalized on the Collectors Universe sports forum.

• Options

😂😂😂

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    That's right, you have now been immortalized on the Collectors Universe sports forum.

That's Belly Boy! He was a Royals season ticket holder, and they would often show him on the video board doing his thing when it was rally time, starting probably back around 2012 through the championship season of 2015. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I believe he was the victim of a home invasion, and suffered gunshot wounds. He barely pulled through, and they brought him out to throw out the first pitch. He'd lost a lot of weight and struggled to walk out to the mound with a cane. It's been years since I've heard anything else, or really even thought about him. At any rate, I don't believe he regularly attends games anymore, or at least they no longer show him on the video board.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

That's very sad to hear, I'm glad he pulled through. He is a legendary character. I've seen him on TV before over the years, but wasn't aware of this. Very sad to hear.

• Options

Just face it, you screwed up guys.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the George Brett video, it looks to me like he slows up before he is held back. Anyone agree? Maybe a different angle tells a different story.

@dallasactuary said:
    >

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭