Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My wife became a naturalized citizen of her new country

In honor of that, I ask folks to post coins that proudly display a patriotic theme (of any nation) and to explain the scene for those of us who may not understand that scene.

I’ll start: the below coin’s obverse is a motif of Liberty, which is a key bedrock element of American patriotism (freedoms from the tyrannies of the old world from which our Founding Fathers as well as subsequent generations of immigrant Americans fled). The eagle symbolizes our reaching to ever greater heights.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both my son and daughter-in-law are on the Faculty of Business at Chiangmai (Thailand) University. The obverse has the late King and the reverse is the symbol of the University.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @ajaan. Just wondering what is the patriotic meaning here?

• Options

The King is much revered in Thailand.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe one appreciates what it is to be an American by having lived in other countries especially those without freedom. Ex USSR for me.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before they became a US territory in 1900, the islands of Hawaii had been unified into a kingdom that existed for nearly a century. The Kingdom of Hawaii issued their own coinage, cents in 1847 and a series of silver coins in 1883. The cents were struck by a private firm in Massachusetts and the silver dimes, quarters, halves and dollars were designed by Charles Barber and were produced at the San Francisco Mint.

My mother was born on Maui, well after this silver dala was minted, but before Hawaii became the 50th state (in 1959).

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to you wife! Still remember my ceremony, even though it was more than 20 years ago.

• Options
    edited March 5, 2020 1:57PM

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I've been a yeti lately.

I should have realized that patriotic motifs, as I know them, is uncommon on coinage outside Western European-style nations. It is unclear to me how revering a person (e.g., King of Thailand or King of Hawaii) is a sign of patriotism. (I'm not knocking it -- I just don't understand it in the same way, I guess.)

• Options
    edited March 5, 2020 1:21PM

@EVillageProwler said:
    Thanks for the responses. Sorry I've been a yeti lately.

I should have realized that patriotic motifs, as I know them, is uncommon on coinage outside Western European-style nations. It is unclear to me how revering a person (King of Thailand) is a sign of patriotism. (I'm not knocking it -- I just don't understand it in the same way, I guess.)

Obviously you have never been to Thailand. Revering the King is the highest form of patriotism, to Thais. I noticed you didn't have the same comment about the Hawaiian coin.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@ajaan said:

Obviously you have never been to Thailand. Revering the King is the highest form of patriotism, to Thais. I noticed you didn't have the same comment about the Hawaiian coin.

I meant that as an example; I fixed my prior comment. And, I still do not completely understand it. But, as I wrote, I am not knocking it. Different cultures have different ways. No need to dig any further into my words (unless you really wish to!).