Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the packaging material, including COA without the coin worth anything?

So I ended up with a couple of the 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof Silver Eagle coins. I had them graded, both came back as PF70. Since it was my first time grading I didn't check the little box that to receive my packaging materials back (box, plastic coin holder it is shipped in, and most importantly the COA). I reached out and was basically told it's not likely I'll ever see those again. So I hung my head and sold the coins as they were. I sold them to parties knowing fully that the COA and other items were not included and all was well. Well a few weeks after the sale I randomly get a package in the mail containing all my packaging materials, including both COA. I have no way of knowing which COA is attached to which coin, but I have them. Is the packaging material along with the COAs without the coin worth anything?

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

One guy was asking $500.00 for them not sure if they ever sold. I guess its what ever somebody is willing to buy it. Good luck.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say yes, they are worth something, Not sure how much, though.

Who knows - someone may have one that came beat up and they want a replacement.

One of the 5 coin SE sets from several years ago arrived with a smashed lacquer box. I could have used a replacement...

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

They may have some value. Just how much value may not be known for several years. I'd just keep them for now.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

People sell them on Ebay for about $10, or at least try to.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's only 2 of them, especially knowing the intense profits that came with them if you got them straight from the USMint, then I would think the right thing to do would be to contact each buyer, ask if they would be interested in theirs and to send them whichever one seemed right.

But, that's just me. I would think it worth it trying to eek out another $10-$20 each....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

I know that Jesse James had them selling on eBay at $99 a piece and he sold out of them and had 25 of them for sale. The nice thing to do would be to message those people you sold the coins to and find out what number they have and ask them if they want the packaging and if they do, they just pay the cost of shipping it to them, that would be the right and nice thing to do really since you didn't think you were getting them back. But if they don't want to pay for the shipping of the packaging, then I say sell away.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020 7:09AM

Not if coin slabbed. I have never been one to consider packaging material worth a premium. My interest is in the condition of the coin.

However there may be people who may buy the material in an auction. Perhaps they have a coin in its USM capsule only and want the packaging material to go with it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file