Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Organizing sports collection

Went out tonight to get some boxes from ikea.. seems they will hold approx ,, 3500 - 4000 cards.. so bought a pile of em.. i may need to get more as ive used em all up as will see by the photo.. i got more cards on shelves,, in my closets , desk ,,etc,, prob 4-5 more should do it..only prob now is where to store them once i get more boxes...the boxes arn't bad $3.99 and so far ive used up
around 15 of them.

Comments

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still to organize the binders.. they dont look very tidy at the moment..xd

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just an FYI, but www.bcwsupplies.com is my go to supplier of boxes, albums, and other card storage supplies. If you're going to be buying supplies in quantity, anyway, you can get the per unit price down to around half of what you'll pay at retail places. I believe you're a Canadian collector, so I'll admit that I'm unsure on their shipping charges north of the border, but they ship free for orders over $80 in the U.S. You should at least look at the site before buying more albums and large storage boxes from Ikea or the local retail store.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2020 8:26PM

canadian collector yes and am checking it now.. if i bought 15 boxes like i did today .. ups standard shipping would cost me another $41 on top of the price of the boxes. so the boxes plus shipping would be $108 for 15 boxes from bcwsupplies or 15 boxes at ikea for $63

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, just trying to help, as only you know the quantity that you need. But, in order to get the best prices, you need to be thinking big picture and running the numbers as if you're buying in bulk. If you bought 25 3200 count boxes, the price is $2.21 per box, or $55.25 total. If that's all that you bought, and assuming it would still be $41 to ship, that's only $96.25, or $3.85 per box.

They're actually running a 10 percent off deal right now with a code provided on their website, so the savings would be even greater. If I were purchasing, I would throw a dozen albums in there, or 50 800 boxes, or some card stands, and get my total over $80 to get the free shipping. They may not offer free shipping for purchases shipped to Canada, I don't know, but when you get the quantity discount, the website discount, and if you can get the free shipping, it doesn't make sense to buy supplies anywhere else but from BCW. $2.21 a box, delivered, vs $4+ from Ikea.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2020 9:09PM

mhm i usually never need more then 3-4 boxes at time.. just the boxes i had at the moment were not large enough so did a big purchase tonight. am eyeing the baseball holders though as I don't need any more boxes at the moment .. i may in the future .. you don't know if they have puck holders do you? i have a bunch that need holders , but the card store near here wont have any more for at least 3 weeks .

• Options

nm just checked.. i'm probably going to place an order in for the puck holders.. I have some vintage and autographed ones that need holders. going to put in an order for about 10-15 of them and some baseball holders too . i need around 11 of those and 1 mini basketball holder.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2020 4:31AM

I appreciate the pictures, but a little more info would be great. You say that the IKEA boxes hold about 3500 to 4000 cards, but how? In toploaders? Jammed in raw? Just strewn about? Are the boxes cardboard, vinyl, etc... Are there dividers/rows in the boxes?

• Options
    edited February 26, 2020 5:32PM

right now the boxes are a mix of top loaders and raw, the boxes are laminated cardboard.. some have dividers and some dont. am going to replace the ones without dividers with boxes that do later.. the black ones have the dividers , the white ones dont.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Slimies,
    Does the lid go directly on the box or does it set directly on the cards? Had to tell in the pictures.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

After seeing those new pics, I'll stay with good old 5,000 count boxes.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2020 8:56PM

the lids sit on the box with room to spare. the raw cards sit about 1-1.5 cm below the lip of the box.. the ones in top loaders sits almost flush with the lip but not quite.. Ill be replacing the boxes as soon as I can with better ones.. just very low on funds right now so ill have to wait .