Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How Many People Would Submit These Cards?

I know these would never make my pile of cards to submit....

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody working on a Gwynn basic set.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would if I collected Gwynn at all. I submit stuff like that of Strawberry, Dale Murphy, and Sandberg all the time. They all look a little off l/r though so if that is what you are going at then I probably would not send them in

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

1986 Topps is a $55.00 card. 1984 Fleer went for $113.00 on 1/24.

Good return on a $8-10 dollar investment in fees.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I miss Tony Gwynn, what a great hitter

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Nothing over 1980 needs to be graded.Waste of money.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiveniner said:

Tony, read Joe’s post above. Not a waste of money to spend $10 to make $100. Post-1980 might not be your taste, but it is profitable for those who know how to play the game.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2020 10:11AM

The centering would keep them out of my submission pile also, but just eyeballing they're probably on the margins. I would definitely expect them to sell for less than perfectly centered 10s, unless someone is just buying the grade.

ETA: Also the apparent centering is skewed a bit since it looks like these all have borders at least somewhat obscured by the inner rails/LPTs.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    The centering would keep them out of my submission pile also, but just eyeballing they're probably on the margins. I would definitely expect them to sell for less than perfectly centered 10s, unless someone is just buying the grade.

ETA: Also the apparent centering is skewed a bit since it looks like these all have borders at least somewhat obscured by the inner rails/LPTs.

True, BUT people will buy a crappy 10 before they buy a "perfect" 9.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiveniner said:

Are you sure about that?

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

The 86 Topps is off center left to right, but the black borders at the top are absolutely perfect. 86 Topps is harder than you think due to the top borders.

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

my point was not the fact Gwynn cards were being submitted, but rather that these specific examples got PSA 10's...that 1984 Fleer card should not be higher than an 8

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony done a lot of eating between 1984 and 1991.

Mike
  • Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:
    The 86 Topps is off center left to right, but the black borders at the top are absolutely perfect. 86 Topps is harder than you think due to the top borders.

My eyes see a soft upper right corner on the 86 Topps example...most people would get a 9 on a card that has a soft corner and questionable L/R centering...when I go thru my 5000-count boxes of stars (I have stacks of them, just to point out that I have looked at a couple million cards in the last few years, so pretty good idea what a 10 looks like), I would not even give these 4 cards a second look when I decide what cards to submit...I would fly by that 1984 Fleer card so fast...another question I have is why is the large submitter even submitting that card? Do they have helpers that aren't very good at knowing which examples to send in, or do they think that a lot of their "sliders" will end up in PSA 10 holders?

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Looks like the answer is 3

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like those cards posted might be from 4SC. They have the classic look of 10's they tend to receive on subs.

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2020 10:57PM

I wouldn't do this but I think many true collectors can sort of compartmentalize or shelf the $10/card grading fees if subbing cards they truly love and want slabbed, and think they could hit a 10.

Now if you are strictly grading to make a profit, then your calculations are altogether different and you probably don't send this era of cards in....

That said, as stated above if you have a real eagle eye and can get 10s then some actually do surprisingly well

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

Not a chance in he!! that I'd submit these cards. If I did by some chance they would surely be 8.5's.... zero confidence in getting dimes anymore. I see flaws with everything now a days.