doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2020 11:55PM

List of difficult things to do:

1. Figure out Sportscaster cards
    2. Put a man on Mars
    3. Earn a degree in physics
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm assuming these are both US (03-005) versions, the first back you've shown is the second printing (see the bold 'A' after Lausanne at the bottom) while the second shown is the first printing (no letter code). Also the text justification is different between the two, the 'A' version has an extra row of text in the first column and appears to have something added to the second column of text (see below the '002').

It was not uncommon for these to be modified between the print runs. I suspect there's at least a 'B' version for deck 10 and possibly a 'C' also. After reading elsewhere that the 'Printed in Japan' versions were only available on decks 1-7, I've recently seen that deck 10 also has this possibility.

Great catch! It's amazing how many things can still be discovered in this 40+ year old set before you even start branching into all the international versions.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed with Kyle's post above. There are so many variations among the Sportscasters. Some of them are recognized by PSA in the data base and some are either intentionally ignored or accidentally overlooked. Note that the cert numbers are successive. I wonder if the person who subbed those two labeled them accurately on the sub form with an attempt to get the differentiation noted on the label, or if they did not notice the differences between the two examples?

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also to follow up Kyle's info, usually first print (no letter), 2nd print 'A' and 3rd print 'B' are all from Lausanne, but 4th print 'C' run is Geneva instead. Updates to the text from one print run to the next than are a common if subtle occurrence, and they are incorporated more often than most people notice or realize.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

2. Put a man on Mars

@doubledragon said:

2. Put a man on Mars

LMAO

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@doubledragon said:

2. Put a man on Mars

@doubledragon said:

2. Put a man on Mars

LMAO

;)

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    I'm assuming these are both US (03-005) versions, the first back you've shown is the second printing (see the bold 'A' after Lausanne at the bottom) while the second shown is the first printing (no letter code). Also the text justification is different between the two, the 'A' version has an extra row of text in the first column and appears to have something added to the second column of text (see below the '002').

It was not uncommon for these to be modified between the print runs. I suspect there's at least a 'B' version for deck 10 and possibly a 'C' also. After reading elsewhere that the 'Printed in Japan' versions were only available on decks 1-7, I've recently seen that deck 10 also has this possibility.

Great catch! It's amazing how many things can still be discovered in this 40+ year old set before you even start branching into all the international versions.

Yes Larkin, there is actually a "B" version heading your way as we speak....

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Agreed with Kyle's post above. There are so many variations among the Sportscasters. Some of them are recognized by PSA in the data base and some are either intentionally ignored or accidentally overlooked. Note that the cert numbers are successive. I wonder if the person who subbed those two labeled them accurately on the sub form with an attempt to get the differentiation noted on the label, or if they did not notice the differences between the two examples?

i sent these and yes i put Luasanne A and so forth and PSA ignored me
    this was 2 months ago......

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

i had noticed the "A" difference but not the text difference before..... surely PSA should differentiate these...

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    Also to follow up Kyle's info, usually first print (no letter), 2nd print 'A' and 3rd print 'B' are all from Lausanne, but 4th print 'C' run is Geneva instead. Updates to the text from one print run to the next than are a common if subtle occurrence, and they are incorporated more often than most people notice or realize.

I haven't gone back through all of mine to track the Lau/Gen to figure out exactly where the breakdown occurs. What you've stated above is true for the lower #d decks, somewhere in the middle it can be 'B' print runs are Geneva (deck 38 is one), then it can be the 'A' (decks 49 and 51), and in the high #d decks can be the first print run (decks 74 & 76-78 confirmed) or 'A' (decks 85 and 103). All Geneva backs have a 1979 copyright, but not all 1979 copyrights are Geneva.

I don't have enough different print runs of UK issues, but there's a mix of Lausanne/Geneva there too and the 1979 copyright holds true for Geneva.

At least some of the Swedish are Geneva also, the only one I've got tracked is 1982 for that set.