Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

small dilemma

I have a Taiwan New Dollar coin I got in 2016. It was in a package of instant noodles, I guess like a Cheerios dollar, only this value is about 3 cents USD. The problem is that I find the packaging it came in interesting, but the coin is glued to a cardboard. While its numismatic value of uncirculated may be around 27 cents USD, I don't know if should try to unglue it or leave it be. I think leave it be cause I like it that way, but I also don't want the glue to end up turning the coin strange tones or hurting it. I also don't know what the plastic package is made from, or if the cardboard or ink will hurt it.

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave as is. I don't think glue will tone a coin. The coin isn't worth much anyway.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave it as it, as that is the interesting point.

Go on ebay and get a nice quality one and keep it in an airtite (or shoot, even get a sweet graded one...nothing like having pocket change graded, it's kind of fun if you have a little extra 'silly money') and store them together.

I would totally leave the 'noodle dollar' alone. Noodle dollar just sounds cool!

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a picture?

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you remove the coin you'll have nothing interesting to anyone I know.

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

I got in the habit of trying to take really nice photos of my souvenirs after I had a box of childhood mementos get damaged. Who knows how long it'll last or what will happen with the glue? So definitely take a picture that you're happy with.

But, even though we talk a lot about preserving coins for future generations... that particular coin is plentiful enough and cheap enough that I wouldn't worry if it does get damaged. History is how the coin is used, not whether it lasts. You have a fun story!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    If you remove the coin you'll have nothing interesting to anyone I know.

The coin is essentially worthless but the packaging moves it into the collecting category of sales promotion coins which may give it some value down the road.

All glory is fleeting.
  • @EVillageProwler said:
    Got a picture?

I think you guys are right. I will leave it alone. I don't know what I was thinking.