Home Precious Metals
Options

How much premium on an uncirculated $1,000 bag of 90 % silver ?

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 23, 2020 7:14PM in Precious Metals

Mix of all 3 denominations. All capital plastic rolled
I know circ 90% $1,000 oz. silver is figured on .715 oz.

Will the uncirculated $1,000 bag have more AG than .715 oz?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

if obviously searched, not more than silver value (spot).

silver value of circulated US coins

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking around $13,500. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

From mint silver content would have been .72, however no one uses that number. Industry standard is .715.

Premiums on US 90 have been horrible for the past few years, but a good run up on silver could help spring demand for the smaller pieces like these.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rolled up and truly BU has got to be worth something more than a bag of mixed average circulated junk 90%. Even better if sold by the roll, provided one has the time and gumption.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

From a pure bullion standpoint, it's worth melt less the costs to melt it.

If you are speculating, as to collectable value, then you need more information. Unsearched can be claimed by anyone currently holding the bag, whom themselves have not searched it. In all likelihood, you have searched coins. The owner would not be foolish enough to sell them without knowing there are no key dates or varieties.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

No but BU should be in better condition I suspect. Is it a trick question.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@isaiah58 said:

If you are speculating, as to collectable value, then you need more information. Unsearched can be claimed by anyone currently holding the bag, whom themselves have not searched it. In all likelihood, you have searched coins. The owner would not be foolish enough to sell them without knowing there are no key dates or varieties.

All the rolls are solid date common. NO key or semi key date.
    I bought all these rolls slowly over the years many years ago. Nobody cared to search them back then. And I don't want to search them now.

• Options
    edited February 24, 2020 7:02PM

Some are OBW rolls.

• Options

@Kkathyl said:

Not a trick question.
    I wasn't sure if a $1,000 bag of ag BU coins would have more ag bullion than &1,000 ag bag of well circulated coins..
    Not looking to sell these. btw

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will definitely get more than melt or junk silver prices for BU rolls on ebay, if you were selling. Especially the OBW rolls.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fivecents said:

@Kkathyl said:

Not a trick question.
    I wasn't sure if a $1,000 bag of ag BU coins would have more ag bullion than &1,000 ag bag of well circulated coins..

BU should have about 1-2% more since the coins will not have weight ware. WW can be a new term for us now.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fivecents said:

@Kkathyl said:

Not a trick question.

I know you do not want to open them, but the easiest way to determine the true silver content would be to weigh them.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@fivecents said:

@isaiah58 said:

I bought all these rolls slowly over the years many years ago. Nobody cared to search them back then. And I don't want to search them now.

I guess this is a generic and general question. Without opening the rolls, how does anyone know that they are 100% all the same?

For common date Roosevelt/Franklin/Washington: all uncirculated and full luster like new, they seem to sell for about 30x face online. Older coinage sells for more. Use several price guides to determine which dates at BU+ would carry a healthy slabbed premium: those are worth the most. Many are worth about 30x face to collectors so not worth slabbing.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2020 8:08AM

OBW rolls ONLY come solid date and MM.
    If one side of the roll show s the obverse and the other side shows the reverse then you know the date and mintmark of said roll.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice rolls. ebay.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@isaiah58 said:

@fivecents said:

@isaiah58 said:

I guess this is a generic and general question. Without opening the rolls, how does anyone know that they are 100% all the same?

For common date Roosevelt/Franklin/Washington: all uncirculated and full luster like new, they seem to sell for about 30x face online. Older coinage sells for more. Use several price guides to determine which dates at BU+ would carry a healthy slabbed premium: those are worth the most. Many are worth about 30x face to collectors so not worth slabbing.

nobody is paying 30x face , nobody needs to melt it either

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 11:29AM

I'm a fan of obw rolls but would agree, 30x face is VERY optimistic. As silver prices climb, the premium for those over melt decreases quite a bit. The last few rolls I picked up, spot was roughly 12x face. I paid 13.50 and was happy.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 12:00PM

You will definitely get more than melt or junk silver prices for BU rolls on ebay, if you were selling. Especially the OBW rolls.

I bought a slew of OBW rolls back in 2006 right about the time I joined the forum. My strategy at the time was to pay maybe a 10% to 15% premium for rolls listed on ebay. I would say that about half of the quarter rolls I bought were picked-over and not worth the premium. I bought most of the dime rolls from an older guy in New York, and based on the ebay pics, the end roll coins were still original and many were nicely-toned.

I wouldn't have paid the premium for dime rolls if I hadn't been attracted to the toning. My avatar is one of the nicer end roll coins, which I still have in its original wrapper. The short story is that I "harvested" most of the toners from the rolls and sold them for a good return - and I still have most of the interior coins as unc bullion.

The market right now feels about like it did when I was buying those rolls. Silver's not on fire, and maybe I'd pay a small premium (if I were still hunting them, which I'm not) for an original dime roll, but it would depend on the date & mm. Original quarter rolls are a little bit more difficult, so maybe a slightly higher premium if the roll looked good. Halves - well, I think that they always have a better market, but you never really know in advance.

Regardless, I'd look for some kind of premium when selling them.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:
    nobody is paying 30x face , nobody needs to melt it either

I must disagree. I bid on eBay for MS Roosevelt rolls and most close over $140. Individuals sell around $3 each. Circulated close around $1.50 each minimum, individually a little more. I rarely buy 50 circulated Rosie's for under $65 all in, sometimes smaller lots get me to 13.5x face.

MS common Franklin's close at $15 each minimum, circulated average $8.

My goal is to never go over 13.5x face, all in, when buying online. Otherwise I can buy from my LCS and pick what I want. If silver cracks $20 I will primary buy from my LCS.

• Options

30x face for a single sure , but no one would be dumb enough to pay that for a roll.

but not for franklins or roosevelts or kennedys or washington quarters.

I might pay 30x for an unc roll of walkers or mercs ........... but no actually I wouldn't . I don't think anything after 1940 is worth much more than melt . There is no exit strategy there unless you have a venue to sell them singly .

I have a booth at an antique store , i put out a roll of circ washington quarters for 130 the first guy that saw them bought them. I put a row of BU franklins in a case there for $8 each no sale. I put AU walkers out about 6 from 1945 for $10 each no sale

Rolls of BU roosies for 80 no sale . Nobody cares. Eyes are on them. As a test a put out a better date barber half in VG for $15 and it sold in a few days, that one coin only among the above mentioned stuff sold. The same person saw that and the BU roosies and passed on the roosies took the 1 barber half.

$22 each for the common modern commemorative dollars no sale, $22 for AU peace dollars quick sale

Anything BU is an albatross around your neck , liquidity is nonexistent, all the extra value is theoretical and miserable to extract. I'd rather dig ditches

• Options
    edited February 25, 2020 12:57PM

@fivecents said:

what happened to your old avatar? The very first time I lurked at this forum I bookmarked a thread you started I didn't even recognize this as you

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/706902/new-low-ball-pcgs-ike-dollar-for-my-clad-ike-1-grading-set-guess-the-grade-grade-is-fa02

your ike pics are gone down the memory hole

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

I'd rather dig ditches

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    I have a booth at an antique store , i put out a roll of circ washington quarters for 130 the first guy that saw them bought them. I put a row of BU franklins in a case there for $8 each no sale. I put AU walkers out about 6 from 1945 for $10 each no sale

Rolls of BU roosies for 80 no sale . Nobody cares. Eyes are on them. As a test a put out a better date barber half in VG for $15 and it sold in a few days, that one coin only among the above mentioned stuff sold. The same person saw that and the BU roosies and passed on the roosies took the 1 barber half.

$22 each for the common modern commemorative dollars no sale, $22 for AU peace dollars quick sale

Anything BU is an albatross around your neck , liquidity is nonexistent, all the extra value is theoretical and miserable to extract. I'd rather dig ditches

I wish the sellers in my area that put out coins at antique markets or flea markets had reasonable prices like you do. The most popular halves I see out are 64 Kennedys, most in AU condition. If I saw $8 for the asking price on BU Franklins I would most likely talk to you about them. When I see $15+ on un-slabbed Kennedy and Franklin halves I do not even bother to talk to the seller. I believe my LCS sells them at $8 max individually, less when you buy quantity. Peace dollars at $21 to $22 is normal I believe, especially if they look nice. Unless a commemorative speaks to me, I too have trouble paying more than what I can buy a generic ounce for. I'd rather buy a nice uncirculated ASE than a Peace Dollar or commemorative. I am not sure why your AU Walkers get passed over, or at minimum no one makes a counter offer. Any walkers I buy are well worn, typically mixed in with nicer Franklins.

• Options

An AU walker is a tweener . I'm beginning to think no one collects raw coins by date anymore so there is little reason to buy them.

I had a dream once that I bought a BU roll and put each coin in a 2x2 one at a time in a display case. Then a mysterious figure bought each coin and waited for the next. When Mr X had all 20 halfs he put them in a paper roll and sold it on ebay.

The dream me then bought that roll and pieced it out :(

Circle of life is a majestic thing

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@bronco2078 said:

I'd rather dig ditches

Never know what you might find.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

I was recently looking on Ebay for completed sale prices on some BU 90% silver rolls (not OBW) of some common dates. They sold for around 35%+ above melt. Some for a bit more. By definition this is market value.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF mercs go for about 14x. That's 1-2 mercs short or 3-4% per roll short by weight. Same for Walkers, about $138-142 per roll & 3-5% short by weight. That's a nice circ Walker at -3%.

Full weight slider Washies bring $138-142 roll. Bu 1964 put together Kennedys bring 14.5x per roll. That's at $17.80-18.10.
    Smart buyers don't pay a premium for BU 1960-64 silver. A lot out there.

That's been my experience. Some B&M are a little higher but there is a lot of silver for sale direct with no overhead built into the price.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the thousand dollar face level, 55 pounds is the weight dealers expect from me. .

Some bags of $1000 face fall far short of that weight. The premiums in the Unc rolls carry the weight ( value) on the numismatic side... not the trading floor.

• Options

looking for further info on 55 pounds.

55 pounds is 24947.6 grams
    @ 6.25 grams per quarter
    means ‭3,991.616‬ quarters.

question: how much leeway do you get?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I had a dream once that I bought a BU roll and put each coin in a 2x2 one at a time in a display case. Then a mysterious figure bought each coin and waited for the next. When Mr X had all 20 halfs he put them in a paper roll and sold it on ebay.
    The dream me then bought that roll and pieced it out

I see that scenario as a real, humorous but real possibility.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    looking for further info on 55 pounds.

55 pounds is 24947.6 grams
    @ 6.25 grams per quarter
    means ‭3,991.616‬ quarters.

question: how much leeway do you get?

Most buyers (dealers) go by weight only. They are not going to check 4,000 quarters individually for anything special. If they send the product to be melted, the smelters go by weight as far as what they pay to buy outright.

• Options

buy by weight, sell by face? ;)

• Options

795 troy ounces is the standard.
    Multiplied by 31.1 g.

• Options

The Unc coins ( to answer original question) is no. They're .715 even if they're worn to basal state.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

@isaiah58 said:

I don't search my bullion that I sell. I would have no idea what to look for anyway.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2020 5:52AM

@bronco2078 said:

@fivecents said:

what happened to your old avatar? The very first time I lurked at this forum I bookmarked a thread you started I didn't even recognize this as you

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/706902/new-low-ball-pcgs-ike-dollar-for-my-clad-ike-1-grading-set-guess-the-grade-grade-is-fa02

your ike pics are gone down the memory hole

Hey @bronco2078 . Avatar needed a change. All my images on PCGS website just disappeared on day. Hundreds of cool coin pics since 2002. It was disappointing and I sure miss those images. Gone forever I guess. lol
    PCGS has placed me in PCGS VIRTUAL JAIL, HENCE THE BARS ON MY AVATAR. I have never seen these jail bars before. Maybe I'm the first? They're mad because I statrted a thread about ANA show and Corona .......(Beer).
    I had it coming and PCGS could have bammed me and was well in their rights to do so.
    mea culpa, I am sorry PCGS, Forum members and the ANA show. I'll try to do better and be more positive.

***PCGS Jail *** AKA Can't post new threads. Limited posting rights. Loss of signature lines. Bars and locks on avatar.

• Options

@dontippet said:
    I don't search my bullion that I sell. I would have no idea what to look for anyway.

What I did was choose one area at a time. As an example, I have some 90% dimes. I have a inexpensive digital endoscope/microscope with both USB and wifi capability. I utilize several online resources to identify the key dates, varieties and errors: the ones that I feel have enough extra value to look for. It doesn't hurt to check every coin, quickly, for clips, large cuds, things that stand out and are not going to be itemized as cherry pickers. We each have to decide if any of this is worth the time required. It's amazing the amount of common small die breaks, die polishing and machine wear/doubling one can find, that adds no numismatic value.

• Options

Bought 50 BU capital plastic rolls of 90% Roosevelt dimes from my
    LCS today for $13.5 X face.

Decent Price?

• Options

@fivecents said:

Decent Price?

thats the corona discount

• Options

That's a 9.5% premium. It is what it is.

I just read that the EU is trying to discourage the use of cash by stating that it spreads the coronavirus.

Coins (of any metal) may well become unavailable sooner than we think.

I remember that my grandparents had a UV light in their bathroom, and so did some doctor's offices. Seems like a simple enough solution.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2020 6:11AM

@bronco2078 said:

@fivecents said:

Decent Price?

thats the corona discount

At least BU rolls havn't been touched like the coins in the melt bucket.

Is it a good price? I could get more today. Just want to pay a fair price

I haven't bought 90% for almost a decade.

Dealer's selling it quick.

• Options

My dealer was asking 14x for circulated coins. I passed but they had a bunch of BU peace dollars in the $20 bowl I took

• Options

Looks like Apmex is charging about a 2.8% premium on $1,000 bags of mixed denominations for circulated 90%.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Looks like Apmex is charging about a 2.8% premium on $1,000 bags of mixed denominations for circulated 90%.

that doesn't count . $1000 is too big a bag for normal stackers. If you can buy one of them a week then fine. If that is your full years appetite for silver you need to be perfect in your timing.

• Options
    edited March 4, 2020 6:26AM

@jmski52 said:

10 years ago dealer paid more per ounce for $1,000 bag than they did for smaller amounts.
    So not a great deal I'm paying. I might stop buying it. 50 rolls is a lot.
    Dimes have to be the most unpopular of all 90% coinage. Being rolled really helps to not have to count each coin.

• Options

personally I avoid dimes like the plague ( :# ) I always buy halfs or dollars if the dollars look good .

pre 1921 morgans at $20 or less is a good long term hedge. They will be $20 even if silver drops to $13 but if it goes up they will go up , it will break down above 25 I think .

I don't need to be buying things to flip next week for a 2% gain

• Options

that doesn't count . $1000 is too big a bag for normal stackers. If you can buy one of them a week then fine. If that is your full years appetite for silver you need to be perfect in your timing.

I agree, but, but - I was responding to the OP's question.

10 years ago dealer paid more per ounce for $1,000 bag than they did for smaller amounts.
    So not a great deal I'm paying. I might stop buying it. 50 rolls is a lot.

RE: Bronco's comment above. A 50 roll lot of unc dimes isn't a whole bag, so I would expect the premium to be higher than for a full bag. All in all, I'd say that a 9.5% premium isn't too far out of line for rolls of unc dimes.

In the final analysis, in addition to the slight coolness factor for unc coinage, it's the utility of smaller pieces that lend some value, and if the GSR should go to 50 or so, and if silver jumps in price - any small % in premium won't matter.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:
    personally I avoid dimes like the plague ( :# ) I always buy halfs or dollars if the dollars look good .

pre 1921 morgans at $20 or less is a good long term hedge. They will be $20 even if silver drops to $13 but if it goes up they will go up , it will break down above 25 I think .

Looks like a $4 + dollar premium on those morgans. Paying extra for that hedge is not for me. I would love to load up on some modern commems near melt, if possible.

• Options

@fivecents said:

@bronco2078 said:

Looks like a $4 + dollar premium on those morgans. Paying extra for that hedge is not for me. I would love to load up on some modern commems near melt, if possible.

Oh God no , modern commems are a sell from here to the end of time. Never ever buy another . No one wants those , there is no reasonable exit strategy . no modern proof state quarters either . No premier sets , no prestige sets none of any of that garbage

• Options

$20 is the retail floor on pre 21 morgans , pay less and you have locked in an instant cushion