Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

This is what happened.....

.....when I got back from PCGS a batch of coins/ submissions and when I took this coin out of their box the coin fell out of the slab !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

Similar thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. 2 out of 20 were partially sonic sealed (both modern proofs graded 70DCAM). Still waiting on reply from our hosts for sending them back.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

That gives real pause for many reasons. Wow. Glad your honest and don’t slab up junk sell it and then send same coin for grading again. Yikes. Hope it didn't get dinged

Kathy

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1960NYGiants said:
    Similar thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. 2 out of 20 were partially sonic sealed (both modern proofs graded 70DCAM). Still waiting on reply from our hosts for sending them back.

@1960NYGiants you need to call them. For some reason, they don’t do email despite having an email address!

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/:o:s

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2020 9:58PM

I think you are saying that the slab was not sealed properly or not sealed at all. Sorry to say that this happens on occasion. Cannot figure out how it does but it happens. Sometimes they are caught during QC. Other times the customer sends the coin and slab back to be sealed.

Anyway, IMO, it is not a very big deal and it can be fixed. I will say that AFAIK, no one sending a coin back to be sealed a TPGS I worked for HAS EVER POSTED THAT FACT ON A COIN FORUM OWNED BY THE COMPANY THAT MADE A SMALL ERROR! :(

If this should happen to anyone else, perhaps a quick call to the grading service pointing out the error and when the coins were shipped would be a much better, more helpful idea. The sealing machines can get out of adjustment. At one place I worked for when that happened, although the slab was sealed, you could open the two halves with your fingernail.

It appears that I stand corrected. I see that one member here had the same problem and did contact the TPGS. Now my only defense is to claim that sometimes the right hand of large organization does not get the word to the left hand so that something can be done. That often occurs in large organizations where customers are isolated from the folks who can do something. If I ever had a problem with PGGS I would send a PM to Heather and copy Brett.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure looks Unc to me. Sorry you have this problem.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS is taking care of me and making it right. I hope they do the same for @bidask.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay