Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The Risorgimento

Italian unification began with a series of rebellions in the 1820's and 1830's and continued with revolutions in 1848. By the end of 1860, only Rome and Venetia remain outside the newly unified Italian state.

On 18 February 1861, Victor Emmanuel assembled the deputies of the first Italian Parliament in Turin. On 17 March 1861, the Parliament proclaimed Victor Emmanuel King of Italy. On 27 March 1861, Rome was declared Capital of Italy even though it was not yet part of the new kingdom. (The unification process wouldn't be completed until the end of World World One.)

While the founding of this new nation may be good for Italian nationalists, it sadly caused their regional coinage to disappear. Let me take this opportunity to celebrate the beauty of pre-unification Italian post-renaissance coinage. Take note of the various non-Italian influences depicted on these coins.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loving this thread, EVP!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins - I’m partial to the coins from Modena and Tuscany, especially the granducato.

I don’t know this area at all but ever once in a while I’ll be scrolling through an auction and get stopped in my tracks by a beautiful Italian states coin.

My current "Box of 20"

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Amazing selection of coins! That's an interesting reverse design on the Clement X testone.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Showoff !! Seriously some amazing material by any standard!

• jgennjgenn Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely, diverse collection. All it needs is a nice pezza della rosa ;)

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2020 3:38PM

Thanks for the comments; to me, the best thing is that I can use this hobby to appreciate history (or is it vice versa?).

@Iosephus said:
    Amazing selection of coins! That's an interesting reverse design on the Clement X testone.

I'm a big fan of this type. But, from looking at this image now (it's a recent TrueView), I wonder if that's a finger print that wasn't there before?!? I believe it is just hot/cold contrast, but I will go to the bank some day to check it out in hand.

@jgenn said:
    Lovely, diverse collection. All it needs is a nice pezza della rosa ;)

:)

EVP

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2020 5:02PM

Very impressive Italian States selections, EVP! With such elite company, its does not seem fair to single out any particular pieces, but the 1675 testone and 1757 Tuscany issues really speak to me. Are they in a TPG holder or raw?

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy said:
    Very impressive Italian States selections, EVP! With such elite company, its does not seem fair to single out any particular pieces, but the 1675 testone and 1757 Tuscany issues really speak to me. Are they in a TPG holder or raw?

Thanks. All coins above that can fit in a regular size holder are that way. The oversized coins are raw; their grades aren't high enough to matter. (The 1732 Sicily was AU58, and the 1656 Genoa is probably an AU55.)

My newps from NYINC are still raw; I am undecided what to do (because I have other coins up for regrade consideration so saving on shipping matters).

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

EVP you should try the Risorgimento at Carbone’s on Thompson Street. It’s to die for

Nice coins!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......