Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

USPS destroyed my card!

Crushed with so much force that the team bag it was in ripped! Sadly, this card was a POP of 1 with none higher or lower!

Jason

Comments

• Options

How was it shipped? No padding?

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

It was shipping in a bubble mailer with some folded paper towels inside the bubble mailer.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand why people don't use small boxes with bubble wrap like I do. sellers always trying to save a dollar

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

I had something similar happen on a $350ish card that was significantly more wrecked than that one! The package had tire marks on it. True story.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know how you feel, I've had it happen before. It's frustrating because we have no control over the mail processs. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Anything under $75 I ship it in a bubble mailer folded in half, so four layers of tight protection. Anything over $75 goes in a USPS Small Flat Rate Box with bubble wrap. Never had a problem.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll never forget when the idiot mailman stacked two heavy magazines in the mailbox on top of my 1950 omnia sport Joe Louis card. It was one of the best condition examples of that card I had ever seen, and the weight of the magazines put a crease right in the middle of the card. He stuck the package awkwardly underneath the magazines. The package said "do not bend".

• Options

So the seller was really cool! He issued a refund and told me to keep the card. I cracked it out of the slab and it appears to be undamaged so it'll be making it's way to Cali some time in the future.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dad2cl3 said:
    So the seller was really cool! He issued a refund and told me to keep the card. I cracked it out of the slab and it appears to be undamaged so it'll be making it's way to Cali some time in the future.

If it gets a 10 this time maybe you can give him his $33.99 back.

• Options

Definitely not getting a ten. The back will keep it a 9 at most.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    I had something similar happen on a $350ish card that was significantly more wrecked than that one! The package had tire marks on it. True story.

Would it happen to have been a 1982 Donruss Cal Ripken PSA 10? I sold one of those a few years back, and by the time it got into the customer's hands, it had been run over by the mail truck.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sellers!!!

ALWAYS write "DO NOT CRUSH" on packages. USPS has a machine that they put the letters and smaller packages through that can break the holders.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Ironic that Severino has the dreaded forearm stiffness.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options

Man, that is just BS. As a seller on eBay for 2 decades now, seeing that kind of "service" just pisses me off. I get it, people are there to make a buck, but if you don't pack your items well, you're doing nothing more than a disservice to your customers and yourself. However, it's not unlike the USPS to screw up. I've actually received mail that appeared opened, stuffed into a plastic USPS s**t bag, with a note that said "Sorry". Grrr...so is life I guess. Anyways, let's lighten the mood a bit with Jim Carrey's portrayal of a USPS like delivery man...

https://youtu.be/1F14tVw08ew

Currently seeking 1975 Hostess panels
    Got one, two, more? Let me know!!

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

A M
    Next time I get buyers remorse. I'm Gonna try that method.
    Didn't the Jersey state police card forensic autopsy determine the tire pattern was the same firestone
    20560R16 all terrain that was on your car.

Sorry a Yankee card was damaged....and a super nice Severino was involved. At least it was delivered. Not all USPS people are honest.

When I ship a graded card it gets usually 2 layers of cardboard on each side wrapped from one piece for rigidity and in a bubble mailer. Over $110 gets bubble wrap inside a box.

Hope you get your 9 back.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Not all USPS people are honest.

I know this all too well shipping to family in Puerto Rico. As likely to not arrive as it is to arrive.

• Options

Meant to ask this yesterday and forgot. Is there a way to report the cert that I cracked to PSA so that it gets removed from the pop report?

Jason

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dad2cl3 said:
    Meant to ask this yesterday and forgot. Is there a way to report the cert that I cracked to PSA so that it gets removed from the pop report?

Jason

Send the flip/label in with your next order.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2020 8:08AM

OP,I feel your pain. I was planning on posting these in the February Purchases thread but these pretty much belonged in this one. Got two orders in from Spain this past week and after opening both packages(ie: Plain White Envelope for both) if felt like I got back to back trans international kicks to the nuts.
    First one was this 87 Panini Supersport sticker. Arrived inside a penny sleeve with a slightly larger Panini sticker placed in as the "Protection." I don't know if the rectangular sectioned impressions on the right side were caused by some kind of postal conveyor belt or someone decided to drive a tiny tank over this sticker but it got totally butchered. I've got the worst luck with this particular sticker,My first purchase was a BGS 9 crackout that came back a 6. My second purchase had a legit shot at an 8 and came back damaged and this was just proved third time wasn't a charm here,fml.

Two days later this order arrived. I bought the 88 Fournier smaller sticker on the right and was so happy that it had none of the brownish staining that this set is notorious for which is caused by the wrapper.(Here's an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JORDAN-1988-5-FOURNIER-ESTRELLAS-STICKERS-BECKET-5-EXCELLENT/264632690388?hash=item3d9d5666d4:g:bWcAAOSwPsFdmWQw)
    Again another PWE with a penny sleeve taped in the center of one side and the Fournier top right corner jammed up into the tape. Luckily this seller used a thicker Panini soccer card as the protection for this delivery so when I performed the surgery to remove the Fournier from the tape,I find an extra sticker on the other side of the soccer card that I wasn't expecting. it's an 86 Super Canasta Jordan,Great! Then I see that sticker was mangled as well but that could be the reason why it was an extra for all I know.

The Panini & Fournier were meant to be PC items and ultimately it's not worth the effort of arguing with two non-English speaking sellers then spending more shipping money & weeks of waiting on returns. Looks like there's two more for the future Authentic pile. :#

• Options
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Some sellers have no clue on how to package an item or a set.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Bubble mailer & team bag between 2 pieces of cardboard has worked fine for me.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

4sharpcorners also uses no protection inside bubble mailers.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21