Home Sports Talk
Options

What should the MLB Commissioners' penalty have been?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red Sox fans imagine the shoe was on the other foot, and it was the Dodgers that cheated you out of a WS championship.

All other fans imagine the Redsox beat you team in the WS by cheating.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still trying to figure out who won the Tour de France for seven straight years.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I'm still trying to figure out who won the Tour de France for seven straight years.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:
    Red Sox fans imagine the shoe was on the other foot, and it was the Dodgers that cheated you out of a WS championship.

All other fans imagine the Redsox beat you team in the WS by cheating.

death penalty

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What did the Red Sox do??

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@doubledragon said:

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

What should have been done, was the commissioner should have acted on this YEARS ago. The Giants cheated their way to the WS in 1951 (by screwing the Dodgers no less) and until now, there hasn't been anything done about illegal sign stealing.

MLB should have a commissioner who is actually interested in the integrity of the game and the interests of the FANS, not merely a pawn for the owners who worship only money.

Instead, nothing gets done until there's a big scandal or huge outrage.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lifetime banishment of all involved.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

C'mon, its just a piece of metal...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

Sign stealing adds a half hour to every game because every pitch takes longer. MLB doesn't care that viewers fall asleep in these endless games as long as the sponsors keep paying .

Punish the sign stealers , prevent it and games speed up , less commercials get sold , revenue drops and no new fans come so why should mlb act its going to cost them money.

I dumped cable I don't even watch anymore unless i was at a sports bar or whatever and a game is on. I don't drink though , why would I be at a sports bar? :# I'm not paying 2 bucks for tap water

• Options

@3stars said:

its the dumbest looking trophy of the major sports to be sure

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@3stars said:

its the dumbest looking trophy of the major sports to be sure

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Up front...I am life-long Red Sox fan...long enough to have seen Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle play in Fenway Park.

So, my 2 cents. IF...IF there is proof positive that any cheating of any kind was employed during the WS games, I think the WS for that year should be vacated. IOW a blank. The team/players who were proof positive involved, which appears to be most, if not all of them, should be banned for a year and each fined $250k. The team would then be forced to play their AAA ball club for the next season. The cheaters should also be banned from any hope of reaching the HOF. The perpetrator, or any management official, again, with proof positive should be banned for life.

And YES, that includes the Red Sox, from top to bottom.

Post all the nonsense you want, but this is pretty serious stuff...heads should roll. That there is a wuss for a Commissioner makes the situation much, much worse, perhaps he is the biggest loser of all in the game, no stones to take the hammer hard action needed to stop this crap. I hope the Astros, and if the Red Sox are found guilty, are booed without mercy wherever they go.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

The commissioner is doing for baseball what Don King did for boxing.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Up front...I am life-long Red Sox fan...long enough to have seen Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle play in Fenway Park.

So, my 2 cents. IF...IF there is proof positive that any cheating of any kind was employed during the WS games, I think the WS for that year should be vacated. IOW a blank. The team/players who were proof positive involved, which appears to be most, if not all of them, should be banned for a year and each fined $250k. The team would then be forced to play their AAA ball club for the next season. The cheaters should also be banned from any hope of reaching the HOF. The perpetrator, or any management official, again, with proof positive should be banned for life.

And YES, that includes the Red Sox, from top to bottom.

Post all the nonsense you want, but this is pretty serious stuff...heads should roll. That there is a wuss for a Commissioner makes the situation much, much worse, perhaps he is the biggest loser of all in the game, no stones to take the hammer hard action needed to stop this crap. I hope the Astros, and if the Red Sox are found guilty, are booed without mercy wherever they go.

the reason we dont get anywhere is the average fan has no idea of the money involved.

Talk radio the other day mentioned some nothing fox station in KC just re upped the royals tv deal for 50 million!

that is a nothing team in a nowhere city in a dying sport!

Here in Boston you have to have NESN to even watch the redsox , its like 6$ a month on a cable bill even to watch a single game. The TEAM OWNS NESN they get the $6 a month if you have NESN and they don't have to pay a TV contract , they own the station! The station is literally awful but it sells commercial time on top of the $6 . You have to pay for the garbage TV station every month AND watch commercials and infomercials

These are the guys that paid david price and paid panda and wont pay mookie !

What is wrong with this picture?

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2020 8:20AM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    The team/players who were proof positive involved, which appears to be most, if not all of them, should be banned for a year and each fined $250k. The team would then be forced to play their AAA ball club for the next season.

And poor Rusney Castillo would be the lone player not called up to the majors lol. B)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    What should have been done, was the commissioner should have acted on this YEARS ago. The Giants cheated their way to the WS in 1951 (by screwing the Dodgers no less) and until now, there hasn't been anything done about illegal sign stealing.

MLB should have a commissioner who is actually interested in the integrity of the game and the interests of the FANS, not merely a pawn for the owners who worship only money.

I never heard this about the ‘51 Giants.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2020 10:48AM

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I never heard this about the ‘51 Giants.

Several years ago I was reading a baseball book that mentioned Ralph Branca. One of the players from the 1951 Giants was traded to the team he was with (possibly the Tigers). This player came to him and admitted that on the famous "Shot Heard Around the World" home run Bobby Thompson knew it was going to be a fastball.

From Wikipedia;

In 2001, many of the 21 Giants players still alive at the time, and one surviving coach, told the Wall Street Journal that beginning on July 20, the team used a telescope in the Giants clubhouse behind center field, manned by infielder Hank Schenz and later by coach Herman Franks, to steal the finger signals of opposing catchers. Stolen signs were relayed via a buzzer wire connected from the clubhouse to telephones in the Giants dugout and bullpen—one buzz for a fastball, two for an off-speed pitch. "Every hitter knew what was coming," said pitcher Al Gettel. "Made a big difference." Joshua Prager, the author of the Journal article, outlined the evidence in greater detail in a 2006 book.

Whether the telescope-and-buzzer system contributed significantly to the Giants' late-season 37–7 win streak remains a subject of debate. Prager notes in his book that sign stealing was not specifically forbidden by MLB rules at the time and, moral issues aside, "...has been a part of baseball since its inception". Sign stealing using optical or other mechanical aids was outlawed by MLB in 1961.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Heard on the MLB Network that the according with the latest MLB agreement/Union the players could not be punished for this.
    Even "giving them immunity" was pointless because nothing could happen to them.
    Best you could have done was strip the title therefore those players can't be "champions".

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thought on Mookie and the Red Sox - they traded Mookie this year to get under the luxury tax and reset their rate so that next year they can offer Mookie a bigger contract without a tax penalty attached.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@3stars said:
    My thought on Mookie and the Red Sox - they traded Mookie this year to get under the luxury tax and reset their rate so that next year they can offer Mookie a bigger contract without a tax penalty attached.

only if he switches positions and becomes a reliever with a bum arm. Then they will give him the 400 mil

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I know, players will not be punished. And one reason is that players would turn on each other, revealing additional, though less effective, cheating scenarios, and the entirety of MLB will be in ruins. :D

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ruins would be an improvement.