Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

One hundred Dollars de 1863 State of Louisiana

Should I buy this or not? The guy is asking $40 CND dollar. Id this a good buy or not. Thanks

Comments

• acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Should I buy this or not? The guy is asking $40 CND dollar. Id this a good buy or not. Thanks

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Not genuine, sorry. This is a reproduction.

Gee thanks for letting me know

I have made a copy of your post and add it to my notebook.
    Thanks, Staircoins :)

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2020 2:46PM

Here is a genuine specimen.
    American Numismatic Society, 0000.999.12905

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note the brown ink-written signatures and serial number on the genuine vs. the black printed signatures on the copy.

This is probably the quickest and easiest way for a non expert to tell genuine from copy. And it will work for about 90% of copies, which have printed signatures that should be written.

Just watch for good color photocopies. On these, the paper is the best indicator and you need to know what the genuine paper should look like. It should never look like white copy paper. This may cover about 9 of the last 10% of copies out there.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.