Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another First for the United States Mint...

cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2020 1:17PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This afternoon the United States Mint was supposed to re-price the 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium coin.

The Mint did Not. This was a first for the Mint since it started selling palladium coins in 2018.

The Mint put the palladium on CU status yesterday morning in anticipation of re-pricing at $2,937.50 ($150.00/oz. Increase from previous price) this afternoon.

So why did the Mint not follow through with the re-pricing this afternoon?

Answer: Overnight palladium pricing jumped well over $100/oz.

IF the Mint was to sell at CURRENT LBMA pricing, the price for the 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium would be $3,137.50.

...SO...The Mint holds all the cards. Proper pricing would put 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium at $2,937.50, however, the Mint has chosen to wait and see if current LBMA pricing holds and then one week from today the CU sign will come down and a new price of $3,137.50 will be posted.

Another First for the United States Mint...

UPDATE....

At Approximately 2:00PM ET (02/26/2020) the United States Mint took OFF the Currently Unavailable sign and hung up the $300.00 Higher Priced 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium coin.

Buy all you want at $3,087.50...

Comments

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes these are trying times for those holding Palladium in that: (Clash) should I stay or should I go now?
    Palladium is making a lot of “firsts” this year.
    Thank you for the update.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2020 9:42PM

This is 2020. Why would the mint be repricing old issue coins from 2019? What am I missing? I don't see a Pd coin being offered until Fall.

• Options

Will the Mint be collecting sales taxes in those states where coins and bullion purchases are taxed?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    This is 2020. Why would the mint be repricing old issue coins from 2019? What am I missing? I don't see a Pd coin being offered until Fall.

They reprice all bullion coins weekly as bullion fluctuates.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint sales of bullion and collector coins are a business. They make business decisions regarding pricing.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2020 3:37AM

Pricing for Gold, Platinum and Palladium change Every Wednesday. Sometimes Up and sometimes Down (sometimes the same) depending on the Mint’s pricing matrix. This is the First time the Mint has withheld pricing because of a potential Higher price a week later. Matrix pricing changes can only happen on Wednesday.

The pricing for the 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium has to be $2,937.50 until a potential change next Wednesday or the Mint can hold it as CU until that time...

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

Pricing for Gold, Platinum and Palladium change Every Wednesday. Sometimes Up and sometimes Down (sometimes the same) depending on the Mint’s pricing matrix. This is the First time the Mint has withheld pricing because of a potential Higher price a week later. Matrix pricing changes can only happen on Wednesday.

The pricing for the 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium has to be $2,937.50 until a potential change next Wednesday or the Mint can hold it as CU until that time...

AFAICT the Mint isn't selling that or any other PD coin at the moment so why does it matter?

• Options
    edited February 20, 2020 11:47AM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cagcrisp said:

AFAICT the Mint isn't selling that or any other PD coin at the moment so why does it matter?

It matters because the Mint was actively selling the Palladium coin two days ago...And...People were buying the coin actively two days ago.

There have been Over $3.5 Million of Palladium coins sold Since sales numbers reported by the Mint on 01/12/2020.
    $3.5 Million in sales is More than All the sales $ for the 2019-S Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle...

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cagcrisp said:

It matters because the Mint was actively selling the Palladium coin two days ago...And...People were buying the coin actively two days ago.

There have been Over $3.5 Million of Palladium coins sold Since sales numbers reported by the Mint on 01/12/2020.
    $3.5 Million in sales is More than All the sales $ for the 2019-S Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle...

I wasn't aware they were still selling these . Looks like they wanted to move stale inventory.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cagcrisp said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cagcrisp said:

I wasn't aware they were still selling these . Looks like they wanted to move stale inventory.

The 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium accounted for 21% of All numismatic sales for FY2019 for Gold, Platinum and Palladium.

There has never been a week that hasn't had sales since Launch day September 12, 2019. People have been chasing these coins all the way Up in price..

• Options

Really helpful research you were doing on this topic! I did not realize that the demand continues for this ever increasing priced coin.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Really helpful research you were doing on this topic! I did not realize that the demand continues for this ever increasing priced coin.

Seems to me that if it was THAT hot that it should have sold out long ago.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:

At the end of FY2019 the Mint had 183 items listed on sales and production reports. The 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium generated more revenue dollars for the Mint than any of the Other 182 items in fiscal year 2019.

The 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium coin is a big deal for the Mint and it's a big deal for those wanting to purchase...

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@MilesWaits said:

Depends on what you call hot. I think selling $3.5 Million with pricing Above $2,500.00/coin is Unbelievable. I doubt if any Mint modeling would have projected that happening...

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@MilesWaits said:

He didn't say it was hot, he said the price has been going up.

• Options

When you have something that's been on sale for over 5 months and sales have slowed to a crawl it doesn't seem like raising the price on the last few to clear them out is the smartest thing to do.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:
    When you have something that's been on sale for over 5 months and sales have slowed to a crawl it doesn't seem like raising the price on the last few to clear them out is the smartest thing to do.

The price is set based on bullion value. It would be silly for them to sell them at the original $2000 issue price when the spot price of palladium is $2600.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is the price stayed put because they are just trying to clear last years inventory. It's not like anyone is buying palladium.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2020 2:58PM

Wow, a bit of speculation on who is and isn’t buying Palladium. Where is the support or research showing that palladium is not being purchased? We do have someone that is clearly doing their research on Mint sales.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2020 3:18PM

@blitzdude said:
    My guess is the price stayed put because they are just trying to clear last years inventory. It's not like anyone is buying palladium.

People are buying the 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium every week from the United States Mint...

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

The price is set based on bullion value. It would be silly for them to sell them at the original $2000 issue price when the spot price of palladium is $2600.

Of course, but that's not what I was addressing. It's also equally silly to raise the price on something that isn't selling, duh!

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

You really don’t understand how the Mint sells Palladium do you?

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Wow, a bit of speculation on who is and isn’t buying Palladium. Where is the support or research showing that palladium is not being purchased? We do have someone that is clearly doing their research on Mint sales.

Sales were languishing so what did you expect him to conclude, that buyers were lined up out to the street?

• Options

Uncle

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

I do. Or maybe they sold the last one and didn't need to adjust the price. At any rate I'm not as concerned about their failure to act as you are.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cagcrisp said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

I do. Or maybe they sold the last one and didn't need to adjust the price. At any rate I'm not as concerned about their failure to act as you are.

You do? If you do you would know that the mintage is 30,000 so the last one hasn’t been sold...

• Options
    edited February 20, 2020 5:28PM

@cagcrisp said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cagcrisp said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

You do? If you do you would know that the mintage is 30,000 so the last one hasn’t been sold...

Maybe you should call the Mint to get your answer. And maybe even back up the truck while they still have lots of em left and cheap.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cagcrisp said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cagcrisp said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Maybe you should call the Mint to get your answer.

Answer to what? I already know that “Another First for the United States Mint”.

I know why the Mint is doing what they are doing...

• Options

@MilesWaits said:

I'm showing ZERO sales for US mint palladium February 2020. "0"

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@MilesWaits said:

100% of this discussion has been about the 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium...

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cagcrisp said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cagcrisp said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Maybe you should call the Mint to get your answer.

Answer to what? I already know that “Another First for the United States Mint”.

I know why the Mint is doing what they are doing...

$150 is too big of a price move for a slow seller. As of 1/12/20 they sold a little over half in 4 months so I doubt the last month that they have been flying off the shelves.

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@blitzdude said:

@MilesWaits said:

No 2020 version until September.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2020 5:42PM

good for them

don't they usually cut off sales of prior year coins about the end of February?

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@blitzdude said:

@MilesWaits said:

Nada, Zero, Zip!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@cagcrisp said:

@blitzdude said:

@MilesWaits said:

Nada, Zero, Zip!

Again...100% of this discussion has been about the 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium.

You’re looking at Bullion sales. Numismatic sales haven’t been updated on the Mint’s website since 01/12/2020...

• Options

At Approximately 2:00PM ET the United States Mint took OFF the Currently Unavailable sign and hung up the $300.00 Higher Priced 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium coin.

Buy all you want at $3,087.50...

• Options

The Mint Should drop the price on the 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium $150 this afternoon to $2,887.50...

The Mint took the coin to CU when they raised the prices by $150.00 and yet you can Currently put 99 coins in your cart at the $3,037.50 price.

The Mint is Slow to drop prices and Fast to raise prices...(kind of like gasoline prices)...

• Options

The Previously CU 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium has Mysteriously re-appeared + $500.00…

…To $2,950.00

…SO…You could Not purchase Any at $2,450.00, however, Now you can put 99 in your bag at $2,950.00…

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file