Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Am I supposed to want to pay more for "Reed Buys"?

I find this odd that Dave and Adams uses title space to include "Reed Buys"-- as if that should be tip me over to purchasing. Or that Reed has some unique reputation that should convince me that these particular cards stand above others. Does anyone else feel this way, are there any other examples of sellers using such a technique? Here is their explanation for a "Reed Buy":

What is a "Reed Buy"?

Reed Kasaoka is the head buyer of the Sports Division at Dave & Adam's. His primary
responsibility is traveling all over the country, buying private collections out of people's closets, bedrooms, attics, basements, garages, and storage units, as well as complete inventories of show dealers, shop owners, autograph dealers, and distributors. Reed comes up with some amazing finds - rarely seen unopened boxes, quality graded cards, certified autographed memorabilia, and much more.

We have tagged all of his acquisitions as a "Reed Buy" so you'll know where to look first for all of his deals. Almost every item is "one-of-a-kind" - so when you see something interesting, don't hesitate, because there are likely many other collectors who are thinking the exact same thing!

Link to card: https://ebay.com/itm/1960-Topps-Baseball-326-Roberto-Clemente-PSA-7-NM-6973-Reed-Buy/333499020110?hash=item4da617334e:g:7yEAAOSwePReMd-f

Note: I have no beef with Reed just find these lists odd

Comments

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

For unopened I think they are saying that Reed has examined it and deems it to be legit. He worked for BBCE for a long time so I think it may give legitimacy to authenticity. For everything else it makes no sense to me.

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

I'd say yes it should come as a slight premium... Reed is probably the most experienced and reputable BUYER of unopened product in the country.

Nobody is forcing you to buy it. If you think it's too much, don't buy it.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Reed probably just has a deal set up where he gets X% of the stuff that he brought to the table so it's all marked and separated so he gets his cut.

Arthur

• MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

I think they could put rK or whatever somewhere in the title. The fact that they have a long explanation in the summary section of the code is evidence they are NOT doing this for inventory purposes. I don't think random psa graded cards bought by REED should be something I pay a premium for, or anyone else. MAYBE unopened materials or a LARGE collection sale MAYBE Reed's name/bio could be used to sell these but to simply tag a bunch of graded cards with "Reed Buy" is a ROOKIE move to me!

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mtcards said:
    It might come with a bonus sheet of snide remarks with each purchase

.... he said snidely.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

There appears to be about 1500 "Reed buy" auctions up on ebay, but if you search completed auctions, only three come up.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

The card in the link above is available direct on their site at about 10% less than the price listed on eBay. The Reed buy stuff has a subtle nearly imperceptible subliminal hidden message buried in the context that Reed buys cards if you have them for sale.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2020 1:44PM

@ReedDACW said:
    I'm on vacation in Arizona right now making everyone late for our Top Golf appointment.

Reed

My invite must have gotten lost in the mail :'( Have fun!

• MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Well, I appreciate Reed's response. Sounds like his internal talks with Adam may have also echoed some of my concerns about the ridiculous nature of putting "Reed's Buys" in the titles of many of their listings, but that he lost out to the big boss man Adam.

Sometimes I think these card guys get to big for their britches and start to believe in their own hype.

• FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

If you wanted arrogance in the hobby. You missed it with Mr. Mint (Al Rosen) advertisements.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReedDACW said:
    .....Adam is the boss, so his opinion won out...........

Dave had no say?

• ReedDACWReedDACW Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

@Mintacular said:
    Well, I appreciate Reed's response. Sounds like his internal talks with Adam may have also echoed some of my concerns about the ridiculous nature of putting "Reed's Buys" in the titles of many of their listings, but that he lost out to the big boss man Adam.

Sometimes I think these card guys get to big for their britches and start to believe in their own hype.

Yep, part of the reason why I got fired from DACW the first time around is that I always wanted to challenge the final say when I didn't agree with it. These days it's simply not worth the aggravation; I just take care of what I need to do for myself, and everything will turn out OK.

There are probably a few (or more) who think I'm one of those guys who believes in his own hype, and I get it, but I'm hustling even harder to find deals for the company and myself these days. Resting on my laurels and accomplishments isn't going to earn me much business, so I'd like to think I keep getting better and work even harder until I'm ready to retire.

@nam812 said:

@ReedDACW said:
    .....Adam is the boss, so his opinion won out...........

Dave had no say?

I guess you haven't heard, as it wasn't well publicized, but Dave sold his half of the company to Adam a little over a year ago and has retired. Adam is the sole owner of the company. The name will stay the same because it would cost a fortune to change all the signs and letterheads. LOL

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure I believe a PSA7 Clemente is one of a kind either. I know it says "almost every item" and this is probably one of those many that is NOT. unique Marketing hype.

Love the people who use title space and use terms like "rare" too. My daily ebay "rare" search really pays off for me!

We have tagged all of his acquisitions as a "Reed Buy" so you'll know where to look first for all of his deals. Almost every item is "one-of-a-kind" - so when you see something interesting, don't hesitate, because there are likely many other collectors who are thinking the exact same thing!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

@mrmopar said:
    Not sure I believe a PSA7 Clemente is one of a kind either. I know it says "almost every item" and this is probably one of those many that is NOT. unique Marketing hype.

Love the people who use title space and use terms like "rare" too. My daily ebay "rare" search really pays off for me!

They are one of a kind in the sense that many of these items we only have one in stock. You'd be surprised at the amount of collectors who look at it the other way and see when we have an item for sale, that there are multiples to choose from. That's why many companies put the graded serial number as part of the title or description, so you know the one you see pictured is the exact one that you're getting.

Trust me, I'm not about trying to hype anything. I find stuff to sell, picture it, price it, and there's usually barely any sort of description, almost to the point where it looks terrible and lazy. I'll let the image speak for itself, rather than go on and on about how great a player Clemente was, how he tragically died, and how this is a great long term investment. You'll get none of that from me, because it's simply a waste of time.

• flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I have purchased vintage for a while from D&A and have always thought they were fair and open to price proposals on items I wanted to purchase.

I appreciate Reed's transparency in this thread and expected nothing different from his response.

Thanks for being an asset to the hobby and continued luck in your endevours.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paging @doubledragon. We need some humor in this thread.

Andy

• BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

I know it’s really not on topic, but I dealt with Reed a couple years back while he was still with BBCE. He was very fair with what he paid, and I’d recommend him to anyone looking to sell, whether it be unopened, graded, or raw. I also enjoyed hearing some of his stories and appreciated his advice.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2020 8:09AM

@ahopkins said:
    Paging @doubledragon. We need some humor in this thread.

Everytime doubledragon enters this thread, he knows he is being watched by...

edited February 20, 2020 10:24AM

Reed has taken over this thread. He's always watching, and it scares me. This is Reed's turf, and he's been kicking a.. and taking names throughout this thread. I'm sure Reed will have to break a few more heads before it's all said and done.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reed has been warning about the impending flood of 1987 Topps material. Not that it's in short supply now lol. But he is building an arc for when the dam breaks is what I hear :)

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

I miss Reed. I enjoyed this thread yesterday. He should swing by the forum more often.